ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator, charging issues....

Black 182 FF
Recently had the odd starting issue, then today my girlfriend was out in the car and it went dead. AA man came and checked things and got it going again, he said the battery was probably fecked, but also whilst it was charging (over 14v) when ticking over and was still charging well when revving over 2k, when the AC, Radio etc was on and it was ticking over it was only measuring 12.15v.

I've put a new battery on now just to rule it out and at nearly nine years old it was something I was looking at replacing anyway. However it still seems to be doing the same. I measured it at 14.40v or so when ticking over, then 12.40v or so when ticking over with the AC and radio on.

Does this sound like an Alternator issue?

Audi S5
Had the same thing happen to my car last week, needed a new alternator. Got it done by Mick at diamond motors (cheers btw)

Black 182 FF
Yeah about 3 years since it was done. I've been doing a bit of searching and is it true Renault do an exchange refurbed alternator for £170ish?

Black 182 FF
I'm only seeming to have real problems when I use AC too, it also makes a loud clicking noise when it starts up. Are these likely to be two seperate issues, i.e air con nearly empty so making that noise and Alternator giving some charge, but not enough to run things like air con, or could that noise at the start up of air con be some kind of fault which was draining things?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I got your email btw Perry. Will reply in the morning because right now, I'm feeling a bit pissed (drunken kind)