ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator dead? (Ph2 172)

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
So my cars been stood (in a dry garage) for a couple months, it’s sorn’d so usually gets a short run down the road and back if it’s dry weather.
Battery had died so I’ve had it on charge (battery is kept off/outside the car).
Put it back on today and smelt something funny, so pulled the terminals off again. Had a look, nowt obvious. Put them back on and all was fine for about 30 seconds until i walked round to go start the car, all I saw was a small stream of smoke coming up from the alternator area. Whipped terminals off and the bumper.
Alternator was warm to the touch, nothing major.
Question is, is it now dead? Or is it just because it’s been stood? Will actually starting the car clear any crust that’s built up on the casing?

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Personally wouldn't risk it.

They're quite common for causing engine bay fires. Seen a few recently.
Not good then. So it’ll be safe for now as long as the battery isn’t connected again I take it?
I do have another one that came with a PMS ac delete kit. Not sure if it’ll be ok to use part number wise? It’s been in a box for over a year and looks in good nick
(First pic is the one on the car, second is the additional one I have in a box)

Attachments

• 43EE56BE-F303-4801-8484-5E29BCA939D9.jpeg
    43EE56BE-F303-4801-8484-5E29BCA939D9.jpeg
    312.3 KB · Views: 48
  • CDD8CBFD-D4B6-42AD-82CD-A4F4ABBE0BE5.jpeg
    CDD8CBFD-D4B6-42AD-82CD-A4F4ABBE0BE5.jpeg
    268.8 KB · Views: 83

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Not good then. So it’ll be safe for now as long as the battery isn’t connected again I take it?
I do have another one that came with a PMS ac delete kit. Not sure if it’ll be ok to use part number wise? It’s been in a box for over a year and looks in good nick
(First pic is the one on the car, second is the additional one I have in a box)

As long as you have the AC delete kit fitted you can use a Cup 75A alternator yeah.

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
So is this alternator a cup version?
@JamesBryan thanks for the replies btw

Attachments

• A036509F-754D-412A-9E61-ED82782C849A.jpeg
    A036509F-754D-412A-9E61-ED82782C849A.jpeg
    232.5 KB · Views: 37

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Our 182 track car alternator almost caught on fire, hadn’t been started in a while and had a belt change a few months prior.

Was pouring out with smoke, lucky it didn’t catch on fire tbh.

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
No that's a 110A one.

Do you have the AC delete kit fitted?
No the pms ac delete kit (and the above alternator, can see the pms bracket still attached) are in a box waiting for me to get around to it. AC is still on the car (even though it doesn’t work).