ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator help

I got a 1.4 RT Phase 3, i understand that the alternator on this works at around 80amps.

Ive found out that it would cost me 150quid to get the alternator wound to produce 120amps, but what are my options with bigger alternators from other clios ie diesel 16v models etc, and how much would it cost to replace with a higher spec???

yeah basically, i aint supplying enough volts to my amp,

so a way to combat this is to uprate the alternator, right?

so i got told the standard charge rate of the 1.4 alternator is 80 amps.

what i want to know is what are the charge ratings of the higher spec models or the deisel so i could possibly change it instead of havin to pay 150 quid to have mine standard one uprated.

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

Quote: Originally posted by Pete on 03 December 2004

Or get a second battery which is the easy option rather than a new alternator.
doesnt work like that mate... the battery is just a reservoir and you should technically be able to remove it from the car with the engine running, and the car should be self sufficient.

Adding a better battery without uprating the alternator just means the amps draw current from the battery quicker than the alternator can replace it, which eventually leads to a flat battery.

To be honest anyway, £150 is reasonable, and even if a battery was a reasonable option, something like a yellow top would cost £170ish.

No idea about ratings from better renaults, but to be honest i think youll struggle to find one with more than 90ish amps... just get it rewound mate, you know u want to :)

how much do your amps draw? what are the fuse ratings on them? as i doubt youd need to upgrade your alternator, if you upgrade the wiring (the big three, do a search about it) will help allot.

have u got a capacitor inline with your amps power supply? what is your actual setup i.e how many amps, what type, are they individually powered from the battery?

Quote: Originally posted by MrBiggy69 on 03 December 2004

yeah basically, i aint supplying enough volts to my amp,
You mean current? Voltage will be the same..

But yea.. if you need higher current, then alternator upgrade is that way - I dunno how youd go about it though.

put it this way, you are prob not drawing more than your alt can deal with, even if your fuses for your amps add upto 80amps you wont be drawing that, that is the max.

Seriously just upgrade the big three see how that goes

ok i got 3 amps in total, the amp that runs the speakers is 8 qauge no capacitor,

for the other two amps that run the subs, i got 4 gauge wire with 60amp fuse going into a two way splitter, each with a 60amp fuse then ive got 2 capacitors one for each sub, but i got the digital read out on the capacitors and they only read around 11v on each one and to my understandin this should be around 14v?

well you prob have a max total of about 80amps being draw, and you will not reach this (as if you went above the fuse would blow!)

if i were you id rerun the 12v cable with 0 gauge (or if you cant afford it 2), replace the factory ground wire between the battery and the car chassis with at least a 4-gauge cable. This will help minimize voltage drops caused by high resistance in the stock cable. Also replace the stock charging wire between the battery and the alternator with at least a 4-gauge cable. If the alternator has a chassis ground cable, upgrade that wire too.This should be done for every system 500 watts or higher in total amplifier power.