ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator or Battery!!!

clio williams, Ph1 172

Hello again.

After getting the power steering pipe done on my valver a few weeks ago I now have more problems after only doing about 50 miles since then :(

I dont use it that much and i wanna get it in the garage soon to keep it dry.

Right, just wondering if anyone knows what this might be:

A few days ago I started her up one night after not driving it for a few days (bearing in mind its freezin cold at the moment) The battery light came on. Whenever I accelarated it went off, and when i pulled up and turned the lights off it went off altogether. Then the next day it started doin it again then later went off again.

Im thinkin myself it could be the alternator but Im hopin not cos i bet its a b*****d to do. Im also wonderin if its just cos the batteries not gettin a decent charge as the moment as its not bein driven much and is stood outside.

Anyone got any suggestions? Its startin up ok and stuff and everythings fine apart from the flickery battery light

when the light started coming on on my car its was the alernator, but it turned out the alternator was not working at all because one of the wires had broken off, in this case the battery would only last a short time especialy at night and i got stuck with it and had to drive home with the lights off!, but the first thing to do is get a drop tester on the battery and also get a tester on the alt. all garages have these, it will tell you if the battery is knackered and if the alternator is charging, have a good look at the alt, they are normaly OK but need a little fiddling with bacuse of a loose connection etc.

but lucky me has got a brand new battery for a clio 16v unused and picked up yesterday and also a spare alternator if either are any use to you, you would of course have to be local for the battery, but its no good to me because i got a new one under warrenty but had already bought a new one by then.

incidently my alternator and battery both failed at the same time, coincience or not?

alter will be £35 inc post if your intrested, its a proper OE renault fitment Valeo one that came off my valver engine when the williams angine went in last month,

Fitting isnt difficult provided the nuts arent rounded, just make sure the belt is held in place while you swap them over, slip the belt back over and slide it back so it tight, then just reconnect the wires that bolt on the side, to get at it easily i would take the bonet off (using the hinges by removing the circlips not the bolts holding the bonnet to the hinges) and the grill and maybe the slam panel it will be easy, shouldnt take more then 2hrs tops, but if the bolts are rounded its more difficult, BenH had a load of trouble with this,

when tinkering with mine i just removed the grill but it would be easier to op th bonnet off and the slam panel as this onl take 2 or 3 mins

clio williams, Ph1 172

Ill get it checked out mate. If its the alternater id really want the one you got. Skint as f**k at the moment and really need to save money where i can.

Mine did somthing like that last winter if im remebering correctly, turned out to be the battery, why not just check your charging voltage?