ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator problem?

1.2 16v
Started the car up earlier and got a really bad belt squealing noise for about a min then after a while it stoped but after driving along every time i dropped down into second or stopped and put it into 1st and pulled away it came back. Ive had the aux belt changed so i know its not that, so it must be the alternator? Any ideas? Thanks

1.2 16v
Ive tightened it as much as it will allow by loosing the upper and lower mounting bolts and moving the alternator but it still doesnt seem very tight can almost twist the belt 180 degree.

I'm not familiar with the 1.2's aux belt setup so I cannot help with specifics, sorry.

Can you not locate the problem with the bonnet open when its making the noise?

RenaultSport cup172 TT309
Are the belt and pulley(s) dry ? A bit of oil or something hasn't been spilt has is ?
Did you have the problem before the belt was replaced ?

1.2 16v
Yea it was doing it before i replaced the belt but only did it once a day, ill have a look later on see if i can see where the noise is comming from and see if i can get it any tighter. Is there much chance it could be the alternator bearings or something?