ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator problem!

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Alternator's only showing 12.3v with engine running. Reckon it's fucked? Going to disconnect everything today and clean it up, see if it makes any difference.

AA man seems to think the 12.3v was the power in the battery and the alternator's had it but I'm not 100% convinced.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Na man! Could probably get one, though.

When end you turn the ignition on, there's no battery or stop light. When the battery was discharging, there was no battery light.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Get hold of on and put the red onto the alt terminal and black onto an earth point. With engine running it should be around 14-14.4V

Rule that out first IMO. Have you managed to get to the earths properly yet?

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Bought a multi-meter, not got a facking clue how to use the caaahnt! LOL!

Took the live off the alternator and wire brushed it all and cleaned with WD-40. Still nothing.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
4AA9EA19-6C7B-4401-BACC-FBE37F05D7E8.jpg

9051E24D-005C-40D0-A691-32172B42D69E.jpg

This is the lights when I first turn the ignition on (no battery or stop light):

F9565D3D-37C5-448C-8884-9AE78FFE5B62.jpg

2C10CEE3-7D1D-4F0E-9C56-C9756BC791D4.jpg

check the earths are OK. ie put jump lead from neg to engine hoist hook. your positive looks fairly fucked. could always connect a wire from there to your + terminal also if you want to 100% eliminate wiring.

bmw m3, clio sport
Yeah that batt light doesn't work when the plug is taken out of the alt, there's an issue with that wire /plug to not get the batt light with just ignition on.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
The small plug was in and the live was connected when the I took the pics..

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
No idea lol. Battery's dead and I've no jump leads. The battery isn't charging, so it cuts out again.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Got the car running after charging the battery for a bit. Putting the multi meter on the alternator output and all three earth points, it's only producing 6.4v. Looking like new alternator time.

Did you check the small wire has 12v to it? Not from the alternator. Pull the plug off and stick a pin/needle in it and turn the ignition on, see if it has battery voltage.