ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Always use Type D Coolant...!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you don’t and you fill your 172/182 with generic red coolant, it reacts badly with the OE Type D.... 🤦‍♂️

72CC9609-901A-4233-A790-64F43A421B4B.png
CC85DC87-BDA5-4292-948F-8BBFE33EC6A7.png
4ACAD267-B0D3-4650-A6AE-BF17B54B0CF2.png

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
This reminds me... I need to flush the megane out and refill with type d.
Had to use red in an emergency before I changed the radiator.

If its the Yellow stuff then that's the newer Renault/Dacia/Michelin gear

And unless they sold you a bottle of water I wouldn't mix it mate 😂

It's blue. 😉 And I've drained the system, and changed the radiator for a new one. There might be some old fluid left behind in the system, but it can't be much. I have to change the cambelt in a year or so, I will check the waterpump at that time. 😉

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
It's blue. 😉 And I've drained the system, and changed the radiator for a new one. There might be some old fluid left behind in the system, but it can't be much. I have to change the cambelt in a year or so, I will check the waterpump at that time. 😉
Weird, why didn't they have Green glycerol stuff? That's all Renault usually use 😂

How much did you pay for the blue and how many litres?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Euros sell one that is apparently mixable with any type of coolant. It's clear and about 6 quid a litre I think

If no yellow metals in the Clios then no reason why red OAT would ever be an issue then.

Unless you're mixing it with type D without doing a flush maybe.

clio 172 ph2
If its the Yellow stuff then that's the newer Renault/Dacia/Michelin gear

And unless they sold you a bottle of water I wouldn't mix it mate 😂
Is there anything wrong with the yellow coolant?
A local Renault shop sold me the stuff when i changed the radiator 6months ago.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Is there anything wrong with the yellow coolant?
A local Renault shop sold me the stuff when i changed the radiator 6months ago.
Yeah it doesn't mix with other stuff that isn't yellow. Yellow is just new stuff that's synthetic and green is stuff that's 80 years old and is just a pure chemical

It's sort of like semi and full synthetic oils. You dont mix them unless you're a proper gypo

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
I use Prestone coolant which has a good temperature range, and mixes with anything you've got

Worked well for me the last 3 years- 172 Phase 1.

JayD

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 (ph2)
Red coolant is fine. My 172 had red in when I got it at 6 years old on 42k miles. I didn't realise it was the wrong coolant so always used red. 112k later and it was fine, although the original radiator decided to leak just as I put it up for sale. Still I think that can be attributed to it being 15 years old and having covered 112k. I never had any temperature issues.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
What do you think about Evans waterless coolant?
My mate has been running it in his track car for about 3/4 years and it seems brilliant. Can open the lid of the expansion bottle after 30 minutes on track and it’s nowhere near as hot as normal coolant.

Reactions: CTR

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
On all my cars I will only use the OE Stuff from dealers regardless if its Ford, Renault, BMW or Vw.

With the 2 Clio's when its Belt time on the cars they get water pumps regardless and every couple of years with a coolant change its a full flush and then Type D put in.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Type d is dirt cheap, no idea why somebody would substitute the cheap red cooIant for it. I know somebody who refilled their megane with red coolant without flushing the type d out properly and it blocked the heater matrix.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
So it's a chemical reaction basically between the Dtype and cheap red.
Yes.
Using a different coolant is fine I’m sure, but I’d only do it if I’d flushed out every last bit of the OE stuff first. Or, save the hassle and just stick to Type D as it makes life much simpler.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
My mate has been running it in his track car for about 3/4 years and it seems brilliant. Can open the lid of the expansion bottle after 30 minutes on track and it’s nowhere near as hot as normal coolant.

Isn't it banned on some tracks because it's flammable?