ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Am I doing the right thing!

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
Some of you know my rb182 I’ve had it some years now, I’ve always said I wouldn’t sell it but I’m currently really toying with the idea of a ph1 172. There is one that I keep finding myself looking at online and on Saturday I’m working 20 minuets from where it is up for sale. I know if I go and view it I will love it. But I also know what my 182 has had done to it and what it’s problems are which (touch wood.) are very few. If I do go is there anything I can look out for or if anyone has any suggestions of what to look for I’d be grateful as I’m completely new to ph1’s. It’s at a dealership and is slightly over priced but if it’s as perfect as the advert says it is I don’t know what I will do! Thanks in advance.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Rust! Inside of the sills, but you need the rear inside door cards/trim off to see properly.

Apart from that they're not that different from the 182.

Some have issues with the idle control valve with it being cable throttle.

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
Rust! Inside of the sills, but you need the rear inside door cards/trim off to see properly.

Yea I was wondering if asking to take the inside trim off at the garage is a bit too much :laughing:

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Tbf, 182s will rust just the same, they're just a few years younger.

Having owned a few of each I find it really difficult to advise tbh! Love my ph1 hence having it for most of the last 10 years, loved my rb cup with some ff bits. 182 was the better daily but before I ruined the flamer it did daily duties for about 8 years.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

James - is there a guide on here to remove the trim properly? I have a set of trim removal tools at home, but would prefer a little guidance before approaching it like a neanderthal with a club.

Thanks.

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
Tbf, 182s will rust just the same, they're just a few years younger.

Having owned a few of each I find it really difficult to advise tbh! Love my ph1 hence having it for most of the last 10 years, loved my rb cup with some ff bits. 182 was the better daily but before I ruined the flamer it did daily duties for about 8 years.
i don’t use the car as a daily and don’t do many miles a year. Just loving the looks of the ph1 at the minute and to find one in mint condition is rare now!

330i. E30 Touring.
James - is there a guide on here to remove the trim properly? I have a set of trim removal tools at home, but would prefer a little guidance before approaching it like a neanderthal with a club.

Thanks.
It's been years since i've had a rear door card out, but pretty sure you lift up the bottom of the seat, unclipm it at the top with your hands and with a torch you should be able to bend it out far enough to see where you need to.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
It's been years since i've had a rear door card out, but pretty sure you lift up the bottom of the seat, unclipm it at the top with your hands and with a torch you should be able to bend it out far enough to see where you need to.

Pretty much this.

They're on those pop clip things mostly i think from memory.

330i. E30 Touring.
To take the card out properly, you need a 17mm socket to remove the rear belt, and then torx keys for the speaker, but they can stay in if you just want to bend it out a few inches to have a peek behind.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
To take the card out properly, you need a 17mm socket to remove the rear belt, and then torx keys for the speaker, but they can stay in if you just want to bend it out a few inches to have a peek behind.

Nearly, you also need a T40 for the bottom of the front belt and you can leave the speaker in and just unplug it. I kinda envy you that you've moved on from clios enough to forget! ;)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the info chaps - I’ll have a look at that some point soon.

Interesting that James mentions those pop clip things. I think one of them has come loose as there’s the occasional rattle at certain revs. I notice it a lot more with the rear seat down - so it could be some boot area trim?

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
Why not do a front end swap on your 182? That way you will have the ph2 dash and complete knowledge of the car (and you can always swap back in the future if you wanted?

330i. E30 Touring.
Nearly, you also need a T40 for the bottom of the front belt and you can leave the speaker in and just unplug it. I kinda envy you that you've moved on from clios enough to forget! :wink:
Haha! I haven't picked up a spanner in about 18 months now, it's been lovely.

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
Why not do a front end swap on your 182? That way you will have the ph2 dash and complete knowledge of the car (and you can always swap back in the future if you wanted?
Not my cup of tea really, for me it’s all about the car being standard and original!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the info chaps - I’ll have a look at that some point soon.

Interesting that James mentions those pop clip things. I think one of them has come loose as there’s the occasional rattle at certain revs. I notice it a lot more with the rear seat down - so it could be some boot area trim?

Quite possibly mate, the whole interior is held on with the f*****s 😂

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
ai mainly just check for rust, inside petrol filler cap too where the thing bolts in can be a sign. think you can just remove the speakers and pop phonecamera into sill to take a pic and see
sticky throttle can be cable or body itself
then its just normal clio mk2 stuff on top of that, belt history, gearbox crunches, etc etc.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
if its the one at Orion as well then it looks bloody lovely if as you say at the very top end of the spectrum of pricing!

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
if its the one at Orion as well then it looks bloody lovely if as you say at the very top end of the spectrum of pricing!
That’s the one! Way over priced but worth a little look...... that’s what I keep telling myself anyway:laughing: when you say about the sticky throttle, is the best way to check that by hand under the bonnet or by the pedal?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
test drive, you'll see it overrev when you drop clutch and let off the power to junctions etc
can sometime feel it as hesitancy when accelerating etc as well

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
no worries, be interested to see how this turns out and how clean the car is for the mileage. i'd expect it to be immaculate and rust free etc.
keep us posted!

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
no worries, be interested to see how this turns out and how clean the car is for the mileage. i'd expect it to be immaculate and rust free etc.
keep us posted!
Yea I’m hoping it’s as good as it should be but we will see. Still not sure what I really want as I’ve had my Clio 7 years but if it is perfect and the price is (very) movable I don’t know what will happen!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
i'm in the slightly enviable position of owning both an RB and an Odyssey Phase 1, caught in a corner I have no idea which i'd say i'd keep as I love them both for completely different reasons.
I've had the RB for 6 years now nearly and the Odyssey for just under a year, along with a couple of mk1 clios one of which I've had over 10 years as well, lol!

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
i'm in the slightly enviable position of owning both an RB and an Odyssey Phase 1, caught in a corner I have no idea which i'd say i'd keep as I love them both for completely different reasons.
I've had the RB for 6 years now nearly and the Odyssey for just under a year, along with a couple of mk1 clios one of which I've had over 10 years as well, lol!
If it was this time next year or this time last year I would be able to keep my 182 and be able to look into a ph1 this year with buying a house I just can’t afford two cars. I wasn’t looking to get a new car just came across this!m, and have always liked the ph1’s I just hope I don’t regret any decision made this time next year!

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Just be careful with the garage that's selling it, it's changed names quite a few times. I don't know if it's the same owners now, but it was a father and son running it.

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
Just be careful with the garage that's selling it, it's changed names quite a few times. I don't know if it's the same owners now, but it was a father and son running it.
Thanks for the heads up! I’m going “only” to look. The other cars they are selling are impressive!

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Thanks for the heads up! I’m going “only” to look. The other cars they are selling are impressive!

If it's the same people, the father is quite arrogant, doesn't believe in test drives etc. Expects you to just hand cash over.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I love a ph1. If I had the chance of buy another. I do think the 182 is a better daily, but the ph1 is cooler looking.

The rust on the inside and the sticky throttle are the only real issues that differ from looking for stuff that you would on a 182.

Your 182 will get good money back also, being a desirable colour in good condition with low mileage.

I found my ph1 to feel more raw but it was hard to describe how. It also feels smaller too.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
That’s the one! Way over priced but worth a little look...... that’s what I keep telling myself anyway:laughing: when you say about the sticky throttle, is the best way to check that by hand under the bonnet or by the pedal?

Will need to be real tidy if your going to buy it! Give you 300 for that old blue one !? :tonguewink: