ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Amp load question

If an amp produces 1x1600RMS at 2ohms is that the power that each sub connected will receive, or is that shared between them?

Eg. If you connected two 4ohm 800RMS rated subs, thereby increasing the load to 2 Ohms, would they each be getting 800RMS (just right) or would they each be getting 1600RMS (too much)

Thanks for any help

800 W RMS i think !! because it would see it as one channel and pump out 1600 W but it would be shared betweem the two !

Is the amp 2 channel ?? If it is dont bridge the channels then connect two in parallel !!

300bhp MR2 Turbo

I dont get OHMS can some one explain?

Sorry, had enough amps in my time but never really paid any attention to it.

Craig, you know what boat im in here!

If you have 2 subs running off the same 1600watt amp at the correct impedance (in this case 2ohm) then each sub will receive 800watts.

If you wire the subs up so that you are showing the amp a smaller impedance e.g. 1oh, then you are more than likely to blow it up or go into protection every 2 minutes. Some amps like the Rockford bd series will run under impedance all day though....which is why i use them.

Ohms is just a case of doubling and halving. As a general thought...wiring in series doubles up and parallel halves the impedance.

For example. If you had 2x Single Voice Coil (SVC) subs with a 4 ohm coil wired in parallel the load on the amp would be 2 ohm as the figure is halved with the extra sub that is put on. To get the amp down to 1ohm you would need to add 2 more subs.

Wiring in series doubles the impedance. The same 4ohm subs from before wired into series would give an 8 ohm load to an amp. Another 2 subs would need to be added to give 4ohm etc etc.

Dual Voicecoil subs work on the same lines. If you have a dual 2ohm sub then you can wire it in parallel to give an amp a 1ohm load or in series to give it 4ohm. 2 subs would mean either a 0.5ohm load in parallel or 2ohm in series.

Does that make sense...possibly not.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Not really, I have (I think) a duel voice coil sub and am needing a new amp.

What ohm would that be?

Depends on what rating the sub is! And whether you wire it in parallel or in series.

What model sub?

If it is a dual 4ohm sub then as Russ said, you can either force a 2 ohm or 8 ohm load on the amp.

If it is a dual 2 ohm sub, you can either force a 1 ohm or a 4ohm load on the amp.

Less resistance = more power but more strain on amp.

I understand impedance and loads but the bit I am not sure about is this.

If you bridge a 2 channel amp to power 1 SVC 4 ohm sub, what load are you placing on the amp?

I would have said that it was still operating at 4 ohms?

It would actually be 2 ohms bridged which a lot of amps dont like. Some will run and seem a bit louder but then will die a horrible death at some point.

I have found out the hard way with a Pro Plus V1000 and a Legacy LA1030. The Pro Plus set on fire and the Legacy just gave up after 2 years of abuse.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

My pro plus seems to have had it funny enough.

My sub is an Eclipse 87121.4 - 4ohm

Think its DVC but not too sure, think its 300w RMS 600w Peak.

Wanna buy the right amp seen a Kenwood one that looks up to scratch. (see my post titled is this amp good enough)

Nice looking sub that...where did you get it from? I was looking at one of the silver coned Eclipse subs for my next SQ car project.

Ive replied to your other topic..the amp should be fine

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Got it from Pulse Car Audio.

TBH I always though my old Kenwood sub sounded better, so did the theiving scum bag who took it obviously.

The Silver ones are well expensive!

I have expensive tastes. :)

With enough power and the right sized box that sub will sing if the quality is anywhere near the silver cones models.