ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Amp Problem - Help required

don't
Hi,
mate has been trying to get his sub and amp working in his 172

Sub and amp have worked in the previous car without problems (same wiring kit), when wiring up there was a spark, however no fuses have blown at the amp or powercable near battery

when turning on the headunit the amps power light flickers on, then goes back off, when the engine is started the light is on properly for half a second then goes out

Last night, wanted to check the wiring was all ok, so I took round an old kenwood 200 watt amp, used the same earth points and wires and the amp worked and powered his sub

wondering whether something in the amp has gone, or maybe if his cables just aren't big enough, although they were before

his amp is a kenwood 600 watt, not that old

as you can see from the crappy picture below, his earth and power cable (same size) are not that big

Image007.jpg

crap wires, or something gone in the amp?

it's earthed to the bottom of the right side of the rear seats

Polo + Micra
i'd say it's the earth point tbh

i had my amp earthed fine at this one point then took it out, then put it back in and i had a dodgy earth and had to adjust it to get it to work

easy to find out if you got a multimeter that can measure DC current. stick it on current and stick one probe on the earth on the amp and jab the other on a bare bit of metal on the car.

the spark was probably just the caps inside the amp charging

Clio Cup
depends what sparked when u connected it... if another amp works then it cant be the earth? sounds like it could be a fault with the amp

mk1 RSi
i just had the exact trouble with my rsi, wired in my cbr and inside the box is a tiny little uv led which was on but there was no power to the amp. and that was the earth point wired it all in exactly the same as i did in my old rt. i hadnt sanded down the paint enough and didnt have a good enough earth connection, and the led in the box must of been coming on through the little power from the remote.

Polo + Micra
depends what sparked when u connected it... if another amp works then it cant be the earth? sounds like it could be a fault with the amp

trust me you might get a good earth one time and not the next time, all at the same point on the car

Monaco 172
Must be a day for bad earths! well i was trying my mates sub he got off ebay which worked no sweat but my earth came loose after. anyway pulled the plastic boot catch cover where the wire was, then cut the metal contact off (useless anyway), striped the wire and loosend the boot catch. and tightened the earth in under there. boot closes without a problem. Wire is now behind the plastic covering, tidy.I even think it sounds better...:S nnnaaatttt! but it works!lol

Anyways..the matter in hand!...if you change your earth and find that that didnt solve the problem, could well be the amp, just gotta play with different places to see if it is or not...

pete

muz

big fat japanese bus
the wiring does look liek a small guage as well but I think it sounds like there might be a amp problem mate.