ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

And I though Jap cars are reliable

133/225/CLS AMG

Mate I work with has a Y reg Impreza with 40,000 miles on it and its just had to have a new engine and turbo!!

Lucky he paid £500 extended warranty for the year otherwise it would have cost him about £4000. :confused:

I thought Jap cars are supposed to be really reliable as well.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

did he mod it?

These things are mass produced one or two are bound to fail.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Doesnt mean that their not going to break

Did he always warm up and cool it down ect

What actually happened?

133/225/CLS AMG

I think he looked after it, its in mint condition and not modded as far as Im aware.

I think he liked to drive it hard but thats what theyre designed for.

Lets face it, nothings unbreakable. I think hes just been unlucky.

Yaris Hybrid

An old work mate of mine blew the engine in a CTR. Who knows the truth behind it though. Maybe he ragged it non stop, maybe he didnt change the oil as often as he should, maybe he did lots of short journeys and got condense in the oil. Maybe he chipped the car, fitted an induction kit and exhaust and only ran the thing on 95 RON fuel.

Who knows.
Bottom line though is that whenever you have a car that is out of warranty, it doesnt matter if its French, German or Japanese you had better drive it carefully, take out an independent warranty or have enough cash in reserve to fix it if anything big goes wrong.

Yaris Hybrid

Dont buy into this "its designed to be driven hard" nonsense either.

The car is designed to be more powerful than a standard car at the cost of durability. This is always the way with performance cars especially if you fully utilise the performance.

If you go out and buy a lazy 2 litre Vectra diesel it will probably give you 200k. You cant expect the same lifespan from a 2 litre petrol engine that is having 225bhp or whatever forced out of it on a daily basis.

Any turbo has a limited life span and the same applies to an engine which is using forced induction to boost power output above normally aspirated levels.

I wouldnt expect 100k out of a 182 engine if it was driven hard and delivering 7k rpm on a regular basis. Especially if you stick to the ridiculous service intervals Renault stipulate. If you look at the higher revving sports bikes their lifespan is a faction that of a cars engine and they have to be serviced more frequently.

133/225/CLS AMG

This is actually the second phase Impreza the one with the bug eyed look to it.

As said above though, could be a compination of things or just bad luck. Just fortunate that he had paid for extended warranty.

I know someone with a Mistubishi Galant V6 (autmomatic) which has needed three new gearboxes, luckily each one they replaced has had its own warranty!

MKIII 138

jap cars are cheap.

there good, but cheap.

dont forget that the latest Subaru Impreza WRX is avaliable in japan for £12,000 new hardly an exotic machine and £15995 over here. sure there reliable but how many 4WD Saloon cars are that cheap new, especially a turbo ?????

there like clio saloons. fastest you can go for the price.

also dont forget that they only are allowed to run their cars for around 56k miles then they have to get rid by Law.. so are they really bothered about 100k running ? on their clean crisp new roads. they need new oil all the time and servicing so who cares when you only have it for 56K youl need to service it less.

jap cars are designed for japan. in the rest of the world their performance cars may not be suited.

[Edited by meggerman on 31 May 2005 at 11:58am]

[Edited by meggerman on 31 May 2005 at 11:59am]

Quote: Originally posted by Tom on 31 May 2005
did he mod it?These things are mass produced one or two are bound to fail.

we were talking about this last night, and the only F4R lumps that I know of failing was phillipes and mine.

/y0z

Bug eyed version?? prehaps the car as depressed at its awful looks and wished it was the classic shape scooby and decided it had had enough? :p

133/225/CLS AMG

The bug eyed one is the one with the big round lights which they then improved with the latest shaped one!!

Fortunately the chap I work with has a morette head light conversion so its got black lights clusters on the front. :D

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 31 May 2005
Dont buy into this "its designed to be driven hard" nonsense either.The car is designed to be more powerful than a standard car at the cost of durability. This is always the way with performance cars especially if you fully utilise the performance.If you go out and buy a lazy 2 litre Vectra diesel it will probably give you 200k. You cant expect the same lifespan from a 2 litre petrol engine that is having 225bhp or whatever forced out of it on a daily basis.Any turbo has a limited life span and the same applies to an engine which is using forced induction to boost power output above normally aspirated levels.I wouldnt expect 100k out of a 182 engine if it was driven hard and delivering 7k rpm on a regular basis. Especially if you stick to the ridiculous service intervals Renault stipulate. If you look at the higher revving sports bikes their lifespan is a faction that of a cars engine and they have to be serviced more frequently.

If other manufacturers are the same as Ford, they design all their current vehicles to achieve 150k miles or 10 year life. They spend much development time including many very severe tests to make sure they cater for 90% of all customers. One particular test is a high engine speed durability test which is 7 days (24 hrs a day) non stop running, cycling between peak torque and peak power rpm.

Most engine failures these days are usually a result of either two things, manufacturing defect or servicing reccomendations not being adhered to.

Obviously a part fitted with a manufacturing defect from the factory would be more likely to fail on a car that has been driven hard.

Yaris Hybrid

Quote: Originally posted by meggerman on 31 May 2005

dont forget that the latest Subaru Impreza WRX is avaliable in japan for £12,000 new hardly an exotic machine and £15995 over here. sure there reliable but how many 4WD Saloon cars are that cheap new, especially a turbo ?????
Where can you get it for £15995? I looked on all the online brokers but couldnt get more than a monkey off list.

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER

Quote: Originally posted by Iain C on 31 May 2005

arnt there problems with oil flow on the mk1 impreza?

My mate had 2 engines in his.

Every think goes pop at some
yep, i beleive this car did have oil pressure/flow probs, the crank was starved of oil at times (due to its horizontally opposed layout and a weak oil pump) which caused the big end bearings to start knocking usually at about 60k. i have also put 3 engines in pulsar gtirs due to oil pumps failing!

cheap jap oil pumps?

BMW 120i Sport

My sisters Civic Type R engine blew up when it was nearly new, needed a rebuild and five weeks of a hopeless dealerships time.

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2

Id remember hearing on a car programme (might well have been Clarkson) that Honda has never had a single V-Tec fail.

browno

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 31 May 2005
Quote: Originally posted by meggerman on 31 May 2005 dont forget that the latest Subaru Impreza WRX is avaliable in japan for £12,000 new hardly an exotic machine and £15995 over here. sure there reliable but how many 4WD Saloon cars are that cheap new, especially a turbo ????? [/QUOTE]Where can you get it for £15995? I looked on all the online brokers but couldnt get more than a monkey off list.

Motorpoint have them at that - in fact a mate has just bought a lovely black WRX from them, which he picked up Saturday...

BMW 120i Sport

Quote: Originally posted by The Bear on 01 June 2005
Id remember hearing on a car programme (might well have been Clarkson) that Honda has never had a single V-Tec fail.

Yes, it was Clarkson and its clearly inaccurate. Makes you realise that what Clarkson says isnt gospel.