ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

And the saving starts...........

Renaultsport clio 182
Well, started saving up for my insurance today on my 182. :( i've decided to pay it all in one lump as opposed to monthly as i refuse to give insurance companys any more than i have to. £1,500. cant wait till its all sorted. the cars been sat on the drive waiting for about a month.

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup
hey maybe we can save together :eek: im in the same boat, insurance is up next month i have a fiver in savings wooo!

AK

M240i
That's decent.

I got a quote @ 20 for £2k, yet a 1.8T golf GTi was only £1k lol

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Rip off!

Why do people pay this for a Clio? Totally not worth it.

You say this, but at 18 it will probably be over £1k for a 1.0 micra, so why not pay an extra few hundred for the 172?

You'll get bent over whatever you do

Renaultsport clio 182
yeahh. im quite happy with the quote to be honest. considering its fully comp. 'gaz44, because everyone is different. its not like im paying it for a 1.1. its a 2.0 and im 18. its the car i want so why not pay it while im young and dumb enough to afford it.

MCS R56
You say this, but at 18 it will probably be over £1k for a 1.0 micra, so why not pay an extra few hundred for the 172?

Over 1K for a Micra...only of you are stupid. I was £550 on my VTR at 18/19.

MCS R56
yeahh. im quite happy with the quote to be honest. considering its fully comp. 'gaz44, because everyone is different. its not like im paying it for a 1.1. its a 2.0 and im 18. its the car i want so why not pay it while im young and dumb enough to afford it.

Go for it, especially if you are dumb but you can have as much fun in a 1.1. Just because it's a 2.0 litre doesn't make it worth it.

I just find it amusing that people pay these premiums, probably with a massive excess for a car that's worth around £4-5K, maybe not even that.

Renaultsport clio 182

i had a VTR for about a year at 17 and i was paying £1,300 on that. and that was worth £600. so to insure a £6000 clio 182 for an extra £200 sounds good to me :)

White clique
Go for it, especially if you are dumb but you can have as much fun in a 1.1. Just because it's a 2.0 litre doesn't make it worth it.

I just find it amusing that people pay these premiums, probably with a massive excess for a car that's worth around £4-5K, maybe not even that.

but its not your money, its his and he's a big boy now so i'm sure he's entitled to spend his money on what he wants to without being made to feel a mug.

At least he's willing to pay for insurance, which is more than can be said for others.

Fabia vrs tdi
Why oh why get a 182 at ur age? Use the £750 on a holiday and get insured on a 1.2 shed for a few years. My first car was a 1.1 fiesta

MCS R56
i had a VTR for about a year at 17 and i was paying £1,300 on that. and that was worth £600. so to insure a £6000 clio 182 for an extra £200 sounds good to me :)

Of course it'll sound good if you paid that on a £600 VTR!! That's comedy btw.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Awesome quote!
I got my 182 at 19 and still had to pay £1800 for the priveledge!

You'll love it!

Renaultsport clio 182
Why oh why get a 182 at ur age? Use the £750 on a holiday and get insured on a 1.2 shed for a few years. My first car was a 1.1 fiesta
I booked a holiday in january. saved early part of the year. so im off to spain next tuesday for 10 days. when i come back, then my savings will be used to insure my car. i planned it all out well in advance. (except for the saving for insurance part. left that a bit late)

MCS R56
but its not your money, its his and he's a big boy now so i'm sure he's entitled to spend his money on what he wants to without being made to feel a mug.

At least he's willing to pay for insurance, which is more than can be said for others.

Well done for spotting and if he feels a mug, then that's his issue. All I am saying is that it's simply not worth it, imo. With 99% of 18 year olds, it's a statement and a 'trying to get a one up' on your friends.

It just all comes crashing down with the first claim.

White clique
Well done for spotting and if he feels a mug, then that's his issue. All I am saying is that it's simply not worth it, imo. With 99% of 18 year olds, it's a statement and a 'trying to get a one up' on your friends.

haha fair enough if thats your opinion, but then maybe you dont value the experience of owning one as much as he does. And what makes you feel he'll have a 1st claim, there are plenty of new drivers in nippy cars who dont drive like a tool.

Just let the boy enjoy his money :)

Renaultsport clio 182

Not for me. i traded in my 56 plate yamaha R6 after 2 years of ownership for the car. doing the sensible thing as a few people i know were killed on bikes last year. the reason i bought the car is for me. and no one else. i like it. and thats all there is to it really. my friends are all on similar wages to me, and there's nothing stopping them from doing the same. i must be in that 1% of 18 year olds that you failed to mention. the ones that just have a genuine intrest in cars and not the ones that go spinning around town drawing attention to themselves.

Not a bad quote at 18 tbh. Just don't wrap it round a tree or kill anybody.

I payed £1400 for my 1.4 L reg Corsa at 17 years old.

Now paying £950 at 21 on a 182 with 4 years NCB. Cheapest I could find suprisingly.

MCS R56
haha fair enough if thats your opinion, but then maybe you dont value the experience of owning one as much as he does. And what makes you feel he'll have a 1st claim, there are plenty of new drivers in nippy cars who dont drive like a tool.

Just let the boy enjoy his money :)

I hope he doesn't have any issues but statistics say he's very likely to have an accident of some sort, 182 or not. And plenty of sensible drivers have accidents so it's nothing to do with driving like a tool.

I certainly value the experience of owning a Clio, they are great fun, just not that much.

Good luck to the lad but there are better ways to enjoy money!

Fabia vrs tdi
you should get yourself a nice 1.2 spend your cash making it nice and enjoy just being able to drive.

£1500 is alot of money a year, much more chance of an accident in a 182 and that'll be you screwed for a few years.

Nothing to be ashamed about driving a crap 1.2 lol I'll be selling my 182 for something cheaper to run and insure even though me and my gf are only £660 a year on it

DCi 100
I'd pay that in a heartbeat.

I'm guessing you live down south in the middle of no where/a posh town etc?

As said, you wouldn't actually be saving that much money by getting a 1.2 and insuring that, with the insurance costs for young drivers these days.
As I said in another thread, I'm 18 and my 1.2 is £1200 to insure. So the price saving isn't as big as people are making out.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
CS never fails to amaze me.... Stop telling people how to spend their money..... He's saving to run a car he wants so let him..... I drove my Corsa 1.2 like I stole it because it was worth sod all but once I got my 182 I took more care as it was worth a lot more.

Not saying this applies to all but most take care of things they've worked/saved hard for.

recaro'd 172 rep
whos that quote with?
ive just turned 18 and i cant find a renual less than 1200 on a1.2

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Ignore Gaz, his input has the validity of an out of date rubber!

Go for it. I paid 1400odd when i was a youth! Was a call i'd make again. Fortunately it's only 400ish for my RS now.

Last edited:
multi car?
so which other car is insured?
and is the policy in ur own name

Yea so the policy on my Clio is in my name, with my mum named.
Then my mum also has a policy in her name for her own separate car.
As we were insuring two cars on the 'multi car' policy we got a percentage off. Which dropped the price of both.