ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Andy's Monaco 172 Fast Road/Track Project

Ph2 172
Hi all,

Picked up this Monaco Blue 172 from a former member in Edinburgh last week. This is the second 172 I've owned, I had a Pearl Black 172 while I was living in Australia and I've definitely been bitten by the Renaultsport bug!
It's currently on 85k and it's current spec is;

-Cooksport springs and fairly new standard shocks
-Trophy Turinis
-15mm Rear spacers
-KTR braided lines
-Ktec stealth
-Cup spoiler
-Belts done by Rentec Edinburgh in Aug '13

I only managed one trackday in my last car but I had a great day and it's something I definitely want to get more involved in now that I'm back in the UK and have more tracks in a close vicinity. Interior and exterior will remain as standard looking as possible as it will still be a daily driver - but we all know how we say these things in the early stages!!

Current plans for the Monaco are as follows;

-New PAS pump and aux belt kit (Booked in with Andy at DTM cars)
-Brembo HC front discs with DS2500 pads, Genuine rear discs and Brembo OEM pads with ATE superblue brake fluid. (All supplied by G172)
-RSTuner (Arrived this morning)
-Uprated engine mounts
-Team Heko wind deflectors
-15" Pro Race 1.2 or similar with track tyres
-Whiteline RARB
-Geometry set up

Other than that my only plans are to get to as many CS events as possible, I've been a CS member since before I bought my first Clio over in Oz and can't wait to meet other members in person and have a laugh.

Cheers,

Andy

Renault Clio 172
looks great mate thought i had commented on this! I have just bought a monaco to so will be watching your thread ;)

Ph2 172
No major mods to speak of yet, I'm still waiting for all of my tools & trolley jack to arrive from Australia meaning I'm fairly limited in what I can get done at the moment.

However, I've had the car in to DTM Cars here in Newcastle to get the whining PAS pump replaced. I also got them to carry out an engine oil and filter change & gearbox oil change for my own piece of mind. If you're in or around the North East I'd definitely pay DTM a visit if you need any mechanical work done, or you're looking to buy a Clio, both Andy & Trev are great lads to deal with.

I've also just uploaded the Fastchip 98RON map, I'd forgotten how much of a difference it makes! Easily the best bang for buck mod for these cars.

Ph2 172
Well, owing to me being a monumental spacker, I managed to reverse into my box of new brake parts while putting the car in the garage...

I suppose it was a sign to pull my finger out and get the brakes fitted?

I managed to track down a bumper in decent nick on eBay, so drove down to Stoke yesterday to pick the replacement up.

And all washed and pretending nothing ever happened!

Also spotted these on the shelf at the breakers and got them for the princely sum of 35 pounds :) The dogbone kit has been butchered though as you can see below - it looks like whoever fitted it has left the metal ring that surrounds the standard rubber in place and just forced the powerflex inserts inside it. So a new insert kit has been ordered.

Please excuse the iPhone photography!

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Get your finger out and get those brakes fitted :rasp:

Glad you've managed to get it looking like it never happened mate, stick other bumper back on fleabay

Ph2 172
It's all your fault George, it was your box! For what a scratched bumper is worth, I'm just going to hang on to it for now and maybe get it repaired down the track.

Renault Master
Looks nice any updates on this? Did you buy this from a guy Ali looks identical if so its been well looked after.

Ph2 172
Looks nice any updates on this? Did you buy this from a guy Ali looks identical if so its been well looked after.

Yeah got a few updates, been ridiculously busy with work lately though.

Bought the car from a guy called Paul Buchanan in Edinburgh, paulb2 on here iirc.

I now have the brakes fitted, brembo HC front discs and ferodo DS2500 pads with ATE superblue fluid. Also got the solid engine mounts installed.

Had a slight mishap on a greasy roundabout which ended up with two smashed turinis, bent rear beam and the drivers seat airbag being deployed! :(

View attachment 107613

Again Andyrg and trevor from DTM came to the rescue sorting me out with a new rear beam and the electrics associated with the airbag.

Also swapped Andy the two undamaged turinis for a Whiteline RARB - what a mod! Totally transforms the handling in a good way.

Just last weekend I made a trip to Workington for these bad boys

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389514943.799292.jpg

2118s with Toyo R888s :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389515051.232939.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389515060.432327.jpg

So that's how the car stands at the moment. On the lookout for some coilovers and possibly wilwood or 197 front calipers when next pay day rolls around. Then the hunt for a diesel driver will be on so that the interior stripping can begin :)

Just need to resist the requests to let Andy have his turbo converting hands on it for a little while longer.

Renault Master
Glad you're ok, lucky escape! Good you got it fixed. Loving those wheels, hope i get hold of a monaco one too cracking car so far mate.