ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

angelworks

Fiesta ST
its not "You can't polish a turd".

the engine is already good in the first place

You get what I mean though, if the engine is down on power to begin with it may not respond well to mods. I'm not trying to say anyone's car is rubbish, no no. Simply saying not one car is the same as another. ;)

cup 182 mit stripes
Other way round I'd say Jim. If inlet manifold is ok , and thet's what we're talking about here, gains will be indiscernible.

Mini-valver! did you say the motor's been at Angelworks for three months? Must be radical surgery. lol

Fiesta ST
Other way round I'd say Jim. If inlet manifold is ok , and thet's what we're talking about here, gains will be indiscernible.

Ah I see what you mean. So! If the car has the better manifold (by chance) then the extra mods will not really be worth it, well, pretty much un-noticeable.

Hmmm, luck of the draw really I guess then.

To the OP, save up and by a mahooosive turbo. Then everyone will be happy and the world will be bright and sunny and girls with big boobies :quiet: will love you long time. :approve: :rasp:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
My 182 already has the RS intake..... going to take off the plenum, if the inlet looks ok/no real signs of flashing etc i'm not bothering. Save the money for some cams + remap.

cup 182 mit stripes
I like to get older ladies to dangle their pendulous breasts over my tadger, teasing it ever so slightly, before the main course. lol

i'v been to angelworks for inlets and remap on my 182,before going i got janspeed cat and exhaust also itg panel filter.
So in all its,
exhaust £346
cat £287
filter £48
inlets/map£540
total £1221
my car, other than a raised rev limit,SOD ALL differance,no quicker in any way.
if it is,its the weight saving from the 1K plus missing from my back pocket,
IM GUTTED, my advice to you if your'e thinking about it DONT DO IT.:nono:

You spend very little with Angleoworks I'd execept he's have been able to get more gains if you've given him the whole cash lump.

No point changing the cat IMo unless yor decatting since srtock very good anyway.

As others have said you spent what is essence tiny amount of cash to tune.

I fell for it, but was not alone. Now he's saying some factory ones are ok lol

He's always said theres different ones in terms of quality.

VaVa
Out of Maxogen, Inlets, Zorst, and grpN ECU the only two that made a discernible difference in tandem were the ECU and the Maxogen.

My 53 plate 172 had an RS inlet. I noticed very little from having the ported inlet manifold.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I have an RS tuning remap, Janspeed sports cat', custom exhaust, phase 1 airbox and panel and Ben's inlets.

I haven't had it RR'd since the mods but standard it kicked out 171bhp. It now walks 172's and 182's so there has been a gain somewhere.

I was slightly dismayed by the inlets as there is no kick in the back as you expect. As you drive the car more, you realise the gain is in the mid-range rather than further, something that I am pleased with but may not suit others. This has been tested back to back with a friends standard car.

cup 182 mit stripes
You're funny Len, inadvertently that is. Surely no one could expect a ''kick in the back'' result from a re-worked manifold. lol. You need a turbo for that mate.

M2 Competition
Lol at the jesus. Lol at this thread.

And why the hell did you spend near £300 on a sports cat thats almost the same as the standard 182 cat??

Im pleased with my mods.

titanic killer
how can i find out weather i have the RS logo on mine i.e can i take parts off to have a look,as mine is a Y plate phase 2 the first they did iirc

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
You can see. It should have RS stamped near the injectors (if it has one!)

titanic killer
should it be on the top side of it?im guessing i should take the engine cover off first?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
You're funny Len, inadvertently that is. Surely no one could expect a ''kick in the back'' result from a re-worked manifold. lol. You need a turbo for that mate.
There is no inadvertent humour to speak of. People expect to achieve everything for nothing and are somewhat deluded by the figures and quotes banded about on here.

Ignorance is bliss, until you hand over your cash and the reality hits home. The gains (to an extent) are there, just not where the majority expect them or would like them to be.

titanic killer
so then maybe for me it might be worth an inlet match but after this thread ones got to think long and hard before jumping in hey

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
As I said, it depends what you want and what you expect.

For me, every mod so far has been with the intention of improving mid-range torque, the inlet added to that.

If you approach the inlet with the mindset that it will add 10bhp top end, you may well be disappointed.

Seek solace in the fact that the earlier cars had much worse castings than later cars so the potential for gains will be greater.

Volvo S60 T5
Ignorance is bliss, until you hand over your cash and the reality hits home. The gains (to an extent) are there, just not where the majority expect them or would like them to be.

Jut as Len says, have done a Throttle body conversion on mine and what a load of old crap IMO, yes it goes slightly better and sounds awesome but its just not what I expected.
I'm glad I dont get involved in the Tuning business as its fairly hard to get gains on an engine that is already tuned rather well standard.

titanic killer
really thou can you or cant you just get the inlets matched or do you have to get it remapped as well as inlets fitted 250ish then remap 250ish so really you have to spend 500 to gat the inlets done
i might be talking s**t so be gentle with me

Ph1
Although iv spent a lot on mine and it does what i set out to do, blow CTR's away, it does annoy me when i see a mate do a 14.5, 0.2 seconds quicker than me for a few pence spent on his Civic Vtec hatch thing!

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Chances are, you won't have an RS manifold mate.

Was it just pot luck that an RS manifold was fitted or do all ie Cups have them.

Seems bit odd the an RS would not have an RS manifold.

Why????
AFAIK, they were mainly fitted to 182's. One or two later 172's had one fitted although I doubt they would have even been in existence when a Y plate car was released.

It is pot luck though to an extent.

titanic killer
y plate is still 2001 but i cant see anything on mine but i thought you couldnt see it from looking in engine bay without taking things out?

Renaultsport Clio 197
i just put up a sticker on the boot of my 197, the difference is massive
loads more grunt all the way to the rev limit.

And I did a bit of weight saving, I work-out every day, lost a few pounds.
Much faster but the back end seems more loose when i lift-off mid corner.
And I also wear only white t-shirts

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
i just put up a sticker on the boot of my 197, the difference is massive
loads more grunt all the way to the rev limit.

And I did a bit of weight saving, I work-out every day, lost a few pounds.
Much faster but the back end seems more loose when i lift-off mid corner.
And I also wear only white t-shirts
LOL

I remember reading an article in Lax Power when I was younger. It featured an Ecosse 306 Sedan 3 door. The car had custom door mirrors fitted, the caption under the photo said 'Ecosse mirrors, proven to give 10bhp across the rev' range', a lad reading the article with me picked the phone up to actually order some for his 1.2 Nova. Tool.

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
I think you will find the RS inlet on 2004 onwards which means it is on the last of the 172's. My 04' plate had one fitted, not any longer as I exchanged mine at AWT knowing they would be the same once machined and that I would possibly gain less over an earlier inlet, hence the reasoning that earlier models respond better to this mod, even tho it might not be physically noticable......could you tell the difference with a 7.0 sec. 0-60 over a 7.2, I defo couldn't, becuase i'd imagine this is all were talking about. Maybe in gear 30-70 might be a few fractions of a second quicker too or half a car length.
The reasoning behind combining this mod is to maximise the gains as alone it is very little and unoticable.........IMO

Adam, highly unlikely you will have an RS inlet, if your considering getting your inlets done I think the re-map is worthwhile. Might be worth putting mine and yours back to back and then you will see if mines quicker. BTW....did you have agood holiday:)

titanic killer
hello my friend,yeah had a great holiday thanks was way to hot to sit out in it much thou,burnt my feet first day ha,would be good to put mine next to yours would be interesting as youve a few mods and mine will have a full exhaust and decat fitted soon so we should even do a before and after exhaust and decat jobby

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
coolchris555K did you manage to secure that polished top mount of matey boy?

I heard it's been very hot out there, too hot maybe!
Just PM'd him about that polished mount, not heard anything back.
Will have to get together one weekend/evening when the weather is ok. Any quiet roads round your neck of the woods?

titanic killer
theres a few mate but not great there not bad roads in between me and you but will keep my eyes open while at work for a nice 2 lane quiet road somewhere,
hows the little un chris?

titanic killer
ha ha i no what ya mean mate,just remember who to come to if you ever sell any of ya shiny bits he he;) ;)

cup 182 mit stripes
This thread has done a bit to explode the myth of ''modded inlets'' lol

If the new bodies, ect, bomb. The shutters could be coming down for good.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
This thread has done a bit to explode the myth of ''modded inlets'' lol

If the new bodies, ect, bomb. The shutters could be coming down for good.
It must have done your ego wonders Jimbo being the pioneer of that movement and all ;).