ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Annoying fault with my 182. Help please

Clio 182 FF Orange
Hi guys

i have an interesting fault with my car

it misfire below 1800 rpm hot or cold only under load and not sat still revving and drives perfectly fine at 2 k or a above it is showing no fault codes on the code reader
It isn't loosing any oil or water

i discussed this with Adam at Wolverhampton renault earlier and the conclusion was we aren't sure!!!!

any suggestions welcome as I want it to be reliable before the crap weather arrives

thanks in advance

Renault Clio 1.2 TCe
With it been under quite heavy load I would say its an ignition problem, (coil, H/T leads and spark plugs). One of the 4 may not be producing the voltage it needs under load. Id check the plugs and if theres nothing to see id take a stab at a coil.

Hope that helps!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I had this problem on my 172 a few years ago . It would hesitate and judder under load until above 2k revs or thereabouts , above that it ran fine . There were no codes either . I had the spark plugs changed and that sorted it out .

182 FF
Check the HT leads for damage to the insulation easy to nip them putting the inlet manifold back on as I have found out...

Just had exactly the same on my 182.
Bought coil pack, plugs and HT leads from Ktec racing. Did the coil pack 1st and the fault remained, so cracked on and did the plugs and HT leads and the misfire is gone.
So pleased with it now it doesn't chug at low revs (bought it running like this so didn't know any different til today!)

HTH

Tim

Clio 182 FF Orange
Hi guys

problem solved yippee !!!!!

thankyou for all of the suggestions

i got some plugs from Adam at Wolverhampton renault and some new leads fitted them and its fixed the previous owner put Bosch super 4 plugs in so I guess it was them

this is the first car I have ever known about that only likes its Oem recommended plugs any ideas as to why that is?

just on another note tho typical fixed the engine miss fire and the boot lock I fitted 4 was ago has decided to die on me now

it never ends !!!!

53 Clio's & counting
Very basically the engine was built by Renaultsport with certain requirements, and the plugs were one, as they are a specific length, gap and heat rating

Clio 182 FF Orange
So the engines really are specially built or tuned for the renaultsport cars and just not a Laguna or megane engine stuck in a smaller car

53 Clio's & counting
Basically yeah, The engine started out life as the 2.0 used mainly in the Espace which had 138bhp, Renaultsport changed (amongst other things) the compression ratio, pistons, cams, inlet and exhaust and ECU, to give it circa 165-170bhp.

This is partly why it's tough to get power out of them, as they are technically tuned already

Renault Clio 1.2 TCe
Renaults tend to spit their dummies out too, 1.2 16v suffers from problems when it has NGK plugs in.

Theyre like women, you have to treat them nicely and only buy the good stuff!

Moogun B95
I dont know why people rave about NGK. I've seen more problems with NGK plugs than any others.. who remembers the old cav 1.6 that would work on anything but Bosch or (oem GM/Bosch) plugs. Bosch plugs are good, but they must be the correct ones, resisted. interesting.. if you can source OEM renault plugs, they are cheap as chips, and very very good.