ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another 1.2 16v Dynamique? Oh, Go On Then...

1.2 16V Dynamique
Afternoon guys and girls,

I hope you're well and enjoying your week. I've decided to post on here after finally getting somewhere with my car. I've been out of uni for just over a year and have managed to work on my car whilst working. I own a 2003 1.2 Dynamique, and having had it for 6 years I thought it was time to get down to a few alterations.

I've mostly worked on colour coding the interior, with a bit on the exterior. There's still a way to go, but I thought i'd better start with the thread at some point or another.

Thead6.jpg

This is how far i've got with the colour coding. I need to finish the centre console, although the Air conditioning is going to be a little tricky. Additional items i've included are a fire extinguisher (from previous driving experiences) and changed the pedals.

Thread5.jpg

I decided to put in a Bluetooth Handsfree system, but couldnt find anywhere suitable to put the screen, So I decided to build a housing for it into part f the dash trim. I shaped a former out of Chemiwood to the same size of the screen, and vacuum formed it so I had a housing to sit the screen in. I then used P40 Fibreglass past and P38 filler to smooth the housing into the dash trim. Because it is such a tight fit, there is no rattle - always a good thing :p

Thread8.jpg

I've included a window hammer and torch in the centre console, which has been attached and smoothed in the same way as the screen housing. Before all this, I had to key up the centre console, over the top of which a high build primer was applied. This got rid of the 'orange peel' texture and allowed me to blend it into the window hammer housing better. It's not everyones cup of tea, but makes the console a it more interesting.

Thread7.jpg

Yet more colour coding. I've managed to find a heavy duty upholsterer fabric to match the colour, so that will be on order soon and will cover the door cards.

Thread4.jpg

Thread3.jpg

I decided after many a curb jumping out and attacking my wheels, I went for 16" TSR Druids with Yokohama S-drive tyres. I managed to get a hold of some black Renault Logo badges too, as I want to achieve a more refined look to the car. Makes a hell of a difference to the drive, although for the time being the car looks a little high. That will change in time :)

Thread2.jpgThread1.jpg2011-08-20 12.20.36.jpg

After going through different colours on my 16V bullet badges, I removed the 16V completely by sanding it back, building up the bullet with primer, paint, and laqueur layers, and attaching 'Dynamique' lettering, drawn by myself on Corel Draw and laser cut. I'm happy how these have come out, especially as the door bumpers I managed to colour code at the same time have come out well.

Im hoping to remove the 'Clio' badge on the boot and replace it with a similar 'Dynamique' badge.

There a a great deal more ideas for this car in progress, which shall hopefully be a bit more of a custom slant. A few of these are to create an individual grille, and get hold of a non-sport body set to mould an alter.

Let me know what you think guy and girls,
Cheers for looking,

Daryl

1.2 16V Dynamique
Hey mate, cheers for the comment,

Regarding the plastic trim and bits, some of it was easily removable, other parts I didn't remove whatsoever and masked up to where the piece joins, or encouraged tape to lay just underneath the part.

What parts are you wanting to do?

1.2 16V Dynamique
Cheers Beef-Mc, I was hoping it didn't look too aged/manufacturer like. Just been seeing too many 16valvers spray them silver, not that theres anything wrong with it, but its not my cup of tea :D

Last edited:
  1.2 16v clio
Creating the 'cut outs' for your bluetooth screen and window hammer is a quality idea....you may have just provided me with some inspiration =:)

1.2 16V Dynamique
Copying are we? :p

The window hammer already has a housing, I just used the house and mounted and smoothed it to the console.
What you thinking then panda?

1.2 16v clio
yeah it is the best form of compliment ;)

I have a speed camera detector which at the moment I have perched in the 'tray' in the middle of the dash, am thinking that i may create a custom 'location' for it.

First things first though, am trying to find another top dash to replace mine as I went a bit over kill when painting the interior of mine yellow (pics in Media thread)

1.2 16V Dynamique
Love the vinyl by the way panda, where did you get that done? just looks like a decent quality vinyl for a small image.

1.2 16V Dynamique
Cheers Chris, have had a bit too much practice with them with work :p Just a shame at the minute I don't have access to a spray booth or I'd be finishing all of the colour coding with a spray gun - I don't think cans will do the spoiler and bumpers well enough :(

Nice job on the car by the way - Bonnet bra looks decent, just a shame (in my opinion) it's got those big tabs half way up your bonnet, otherwise the line would have matched in with the headlights.

05 MK2 Clio Extreme
well i was looking at doing the head unit area as you have to be fair, just had'nt seen any pics or threads for ideas

is there any things i need to look out for? (so i dont make mistakes that are avoidable)

1.2 16V Dynamique
I removed all but one piece I believe of the parts that I have changed colour. The strips are fairly easy to remove, just a bit of leverage from a blunt object like a screwdriver with some electrical tape and a slight amount of force and they'll come off :)

1.2 16V Dynamique
Just a quick one as I haven't really worked on the car due to a lack of funds, and the glorious weather we are having :p

I have had a problem with a quite violent vibration at high speed for some time now and decided to bite the bullet and take it to the local Renault dealer after attempts at a couple of other garages and looking at it myself... £250 quid later and the multitude of problems were solved :cool:

For now, I am to be focusing on the door cards, having found a nice upholstery fabric to match the interior colour. I am also tempted to remove the aerial and fix a colour coded shark fin aerial - does anyone know if they are decent at picking up signal?

I am also being tempted by the Cupra R splitter, which I have Photoshopped on my car, although colour coding it I think is a little too much, but we shall see;

Front colour coded with Splitter.jpg

Cheers :D

Clio 1.2 mk2
I am also being tempted by the Cupra R splitter, which I have Photoshopped on my car, although colour coding it I think is a little too much, but we shall see;

Cheers :D

is that the cupra r splitter? Saw one on a clio the other day and wondered what it was off. Look smart but I would leave it black.

1.2 16V Dynamique
Just enquired at a local SEAT dealer... £38 including VAT. I think I'd leave it black too, considering the nature of a splitter and the inevitable scratching :p

I reckon that plus a rear Renault non-sport splitter would go well together... Shame I don't have the pennies at the minute though :(

Fabia VRS
love what you've done with the interior mate!

regarding the splitter, you may have problems have both the non sport and cupra r splitter on together. when my megane splitter went on, the non sport one had to be removed as it was impossible to get it on.

1.2 16V Dynamique
Sorry Jordon, I don't think I made myself clear.... I want the Cupra R on the front, and on the rear the Renault non-sport splitter kit to fit on to the rear bumper,

Hopefully I'm not seen as a chav to put two splitters on the front :p

Cheers for the comment anyway, theres a load more to do inside still :D

1.2 16V Dynamique
I plan to retrim the door cards in an upholstery fabric i've found that is similar to the paint already applied, finish the centre console so that the heating dial surround matches, build a sat nav housing where the tray is on top of the dash, and change the lighting throughout (including adding courtesy lights)

I hope i've not forgotten anything :p

What about yours? I like the look of it so far :D

Fabia VRS
thats brilliant! certainly sounds unique! you should post something about the housings in the unique mod thread.

i'm not to sure about mine really, i need to get a thread together and some photos up but i never get round to it. got a few plans but want some opinions first before i start spending too much!

1.2 16V Dynamique
Morning everyone,

Thought I would update this as it's been a while. I've finally managed to reupholster my door cards!! Only taking me a few months to actually find the time :p

The two front doors were especially tricky as the front of the door itself seemed to be one moulded part, rather than having a section which has been plastic welded for the material to be stuck to and then clamped in place. I ended up using a ridiculously strong spray contact adhesive, and a sharp tool to tuck the upholstery in the ridge already there.

It's getting there slowly...

Open Doors.jpgFront and Back Doors.jpgPassenger door.jpg

1.2 16V Dynamique
Cheers Bionic,

The thought had occurred, but not in the near future... That would mean removing the upholstery I assume, and then pattern making to match the middle section with the material. Plus, it was hard enough with the doors, and I really want to aim towards building a sat nav housing and converting the displays to blue ;)

1.2 16v clio
Cheers Bionic,

The thought had occurred, but not in the near future... That would mean removing the upholstery I assume, and then pattern making to match the middle section with the material. Plus, it was hard enough with the doors, and I really want to aim towards building a sat nav housing and converting the displays to blue ;)

how long did it take you to do the front doors and the rear doors? only asking because when i do get round to fitting 3x 6.5's in the doors i want it to be trimmed like that just with darker blue to match my box

1.2 16V Dynamique
Well I tested one of the back doors a while ago, so it was pretty quick to do those (I removed the plastic welds from the main door panel and made a template). However, the front ones were a bit tricky as I had to try and work out the direction to apply the fabric without wrinkles... unfortunately I had to cut it, but the cut sits neatly and is hidden by the door handle and plastic tray with the window switches in.

It took the best of three days, as I masked the front doors up to spray contact adhesive over, and had a job removing the mess I made of one of the front doors.

How come you're fitting 3 in each door? you got a 5 door then?

1.2 16v clio
i was going to go with 2 in each door and a 4" on the a pillar but i have changed my mind on that as for 3 well i dunno why the number i suppose its because i have 3 subwoofers lol

clio 5door sport rep
looks cool mate... dont think ive seen another clio simialr to that inside before... looks cool... any plans for the exterior of the car? will u be lowering? im alway interested in 5 door projects mainly because i also have a 5 door :) always good to see how people transform them.. as lets be honest they are the ugly sister of the clio family... but with a little tlc can look ace.

heres my progress link http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?607620-Five-door-replica-)/page5

1.2 16V Dynamique
Cheers Spanishboy,

I'd be surprised if that was unique, although I don't know or have seen many 5-door clios. I think the only things that'd be unique would be the window hammer mount, bluetooth housing, and the 'dynamique' bullets, but time will tell on those...

I've got a fair few plans for the exterior:

Cupra R front splitter,
Colour coding the front and rear bumpers and spoiler,
Finish coding the door handles and link up some courtesy lights to the interior light under the handles,
Renault non-sport rear bumper spoiler/add-on thingy,
Designing my own clio sillouhette badge to replace the 'clio' on the boot,
Changing the aerial and mount for a shorter one, possibly a honda s2000 one? they look pretty decent,

Maybe lowering? To be honest the money I have available for my car at the minute is pityful, so I'm doing what i can when I can. ( I know, it looks like it's on stilts at the minute...)

Kudos for the 5-doors! I ended up getting one because I move a lot of tool boxes around when working, and couldnt be f****d to climb into a boot every time.

Love your 'replica' by the way, looks as good, dare I say better, than a 3-door (watch the haters roll up...) it's really smart :cool:

clio 5door sport rep
thanks mate. yeah i like it. got all my insporation from this site. didnt really have a clue what to do till i joined. but always get positive comments which is nice. and its different. i always get the second look from folk in 172/182s when i drive past :) yeah the five doors are more practical... i have a daughter so a 5 door car was a must for me.

lowering your car wont cost alot mate. 70-80 quid for a set of springs. and change them yourself. i have limited mechanical knowledge but me and a mate changed them ourselves in a few hours. maybe get a rs grill aswell. does wonders for the front end i think :)

1.2 16v clio
not a fan of 5 doors but i have to agree i do like the 5 door rep and i also dont understand why so many people want the rs grill i find them horrible :S

1.2 16V Dynamique
That's tempting now you've said that, shall have to have a look into lowering in the near future. I'm back at uni and money is tight at the minute, but i'm sure I can find a way. There's waaay too much arch for my liking at the minute :p

Did you have difficulty with your spoiler? I've been toying with the idea of a cup spoiler, but didn't necessarily want to go down the route of the sport look with a 5-door... then again you've shown me it could look incredible (I'd just be copying you and couldn't improve on that :cool: ). I'm wanting to give it second-look appeal some day, but from customising parts. For example, my bullets just show the model not the engine size. I may have to invest in an RS grille though, or modify a grille from another vehicle into a bog standard grille to change the mesh.

clio 5door sport rep
cup spoiler fits in about 5 mins. easy... youd need to colour code it tho. although judging by your pics your quite handy with a rattle can so sure you could do that easily yourself :). if ur into customising stuff more maybe spray your grill. few folk on here have sprayed their grill and looks better than it does standard... doing a rep is great.... but is expensive. its all or nothing. so ud need new front bumper... reaer bumper... sideskirts.... arch liners... and wheel spacers... if moneys tight. id focus on lowering and then if possible pick up a cup spoiler :).... u got a sub or soundsystem installed in the boot yet?

1.2 16V Dynamique
No sound system at the minute, its just standard, and I think all I'd do would be to upgrade the speakers rather than completely overhaul it.(have a look at previous pics, It should show my head unit as standard, just coded) Saying that though, I don't know if you have found this, but the 5-doors seem to have nice little spaces either side of the parcel shelf where the 3-doors should have some form of speaker... I wonder what could be put in there.

As for coding the spoiler, I wouldn't dare do that large an area with a rattle can. I've been looking at Spray Shack on here about getting it all done in one go, which seems to be the best option.

As for the rep work, well done on sticking with the cause :D What you got planned interior wise?

Have you seen many decent 5-doors around? not saying mine is in the category of 'decent' yet...

clio 5door sport rep
yeah loads of tidy examples out there. if you lower it it will make such a differance. and a spoiler will change the shape of the car completley aswell... just stay away from chavy wheels or exhuasts and it will look sweet. dunno bout speakers ur on about. i have a stealth shelf with 2 infinity 6x9 in them. and a flat sub in the boot aswell which i have bungie corded against the side wall of my boot. sounds strange but looks and sounds great.

plans for interior...

wire up the led lights i have into the footwell...
and possibly change the standard seats front and back for sports ones.... havent decided if i can be arsed doing that yet though...

if u get a spoiler. why not sand and primer it yourself and then hand into a local body shop. will save u a fortune. i sanded and primed all my sports parts and then got them proffesionally painted.... saved me a good bit of coin

1.2 16V Dynamique
Don't worry about the chavvy exhausts and wheels, im not planning to change the exhaust, and I'm liking the wheels still.

Bungie cord? Got a pic at all? Sounds interesting.

Cheers for the advice, I may have to start buying bits up to prime.