ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another 172 that won't start

Ok so before this issue i had the wiring fault on the dash and the car would go in to limp mode every now and then.

Left the car for two weeks and it won't start, if i insert the key and turn it all the way to start it cranks the engine for about 2 seconds. If i turn the ignition on then try to start it i just get a click from the passenger footwell. (stop and red light are permanently on, not flashing)

Things i have tried:
i have charged the battery
Tried another known good battery off my RX7
Added a jump lead from the battery to the gearbox and the chassis
removed and inspected all fuses/relays in the bay
cleaned the connections on the white plug at the bottom of the bay fuse box
Checked the twisted white/purple wires in the loom for breaks and all fine.

Please help me before i burn it to the ground

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I had similar issues with my mk2 when it had been in at the body shop with the battery off. It was as if it needed to re-learn the key/immobiliser.

All I did was to lock it and then unlock it on the remote fob. After that, I put the key in the ignition and turned it on, but I didn’t turn the key enough to start the car. Left it about 5 minutes and switched it off. Locked and unlocked again, and then went to start the car. All went according to plan and she fired into life.

Worth a shot mate.

I had similar issues with my mk2 when it had been in at the body shop with the battery off. It was as if it needed to re-learn the key/immobiliser.

All I did was to lock it and then unlock it on the remote fob. After that, I put the key in the ignition and turned it on, but I didn’t turn the key enough to start the car. Left it about 5 minutes and switched it off. Locked and unlocked again, and then went to start the car. All went according to plan and she fired into life.

Worth a shot mate.
I’ll give that a try

Clio182mike

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Put the key in, turn it to position 1, hold the button down then turn back to 0 and then round to start the car all while holding the button down.

Worth a shot mate.

Didn't work :(

Put the key in, turn it to position 1, hold the button down then turn back to 0 and then round to start the car all while holding the button down.

Also didn't work :(