ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

another broken cup

996 Carrera

Ive managed to add my car to the growing list of cup casualties!

10 mins after having one tyre changed and the rear wheels swapped with the fronts at kwik-fit I crashed the car (usual tyre place had let me down, the front right was below legal limit and I wanted the oil changed at the same time). The front right wheel lost traction, the car swung to the right, I corrected it, swung to the left, another correction and this time I went the full 360, mounted the kerb on the left and took out two fence panels - either side of a tree! Must have hit the fence backwards as the left side of the car is undamaged, apart from a wrecked alloy at the front. Ended up pointing the right way still in the right lane.

Im thinking I must have hit the lane markings and maybe they were still iced up since I wasnt accelerating, even though the road was national speed limit. And I was driving gently as the Contis were now on the frontand I hadnt check the tyre pressures yet.

The damage isnt too bad considering I was doing 40-50 mph. The drivers side front corner is a mess - headlight cluster is totalled and the bumper was ripped off, wheel is hanging off too and the tyre was punctured. The drivers side rear corner is dented and the light cluster is smashed. Though the undamaged panels look straight, and the engine looks fine, even started up at the bodyshop. So hopefully the car will be back to normal after the repairs.

No pictures as I managed to delete them by accident - typical of my luck over the weekend, though a night out in Brum with some mates took the edge off. I wanted to check whether kwik-fit had put the Contis on the front correctly.

bad luck mate.

think i might just give up driving til it gets nice and warm - may be waiting a while though!!

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

unlucky mate

atleast your not alone at the moment. saw some1 nearly totalled a 172 today too. think its a time to drive like Gma at the mo.

Hi sorry to hear your bad news,and glad your ok,i hope nobody feels the need the add the stupid would abs have helped you comment, as for changing your front tyres for your back its not a good idea, its far better to have the better tyres on the back as this aids traction at speed, it would have been better to have had the worn ones on the front, or have had new ones put on front, especially on the clios that are a bit tail happy at speed.

172, Tiguan

Unlucky fella.

We were discussing tonight, im glad mines in the garage, it might be the only one left soon :(

dont worry mate, itll be sorted soon enough.

nightmare mate

try driving it in scotland at the moment, too much bloody snow, you can get literally no traction even in 3rd going up a hill, had to retire back to the pad defeated on friday,

snow chains nedded!!!

oh god! another ice casulty! It was just pure sheet ice then I went around a corner and my dyno hit the kerb and wheel smashed, tyre is weak and the suspensions trashed, costing me £820...and thats at 10-15mph so I think your lucky to get that amount of damage. Went into the bodyshop today and gotta pay tomorrow :( hope something else isnt damaged cos im running out of money!

996 Carrera

Quote: Originally posted by hip_spasm on 01 March 2004
Im thinking "Why Kwik fit"!!!

I was desperate - had to drive up to Brum in the afternoon and I twice asked my local tyre place to order the tyre in and they didnt bother. It was also time for an oil change which my usual tyre place wouldnt do.

The front tyres were in better condition than the rears - thats why I swapped them round! The new tyre went on the rear and the other tyre was only 2 months old since it was changed when I had a slow puncture. It also meant the fronts had even tread wear again so I didnt have to get one tyre done every six months.

I can safely say Ill never be troubling sh*t-fit again, nor buying any Continentals.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I dont mean to kick you while your down.. but ..

You got one tyre changed ? and you put the good back ones on the front ? and of the tyre you did replace you got done at kwik-fit..

996 Carrera

Nope - good tyres (Eagle F1s - 1 new and 1 two-month old) went on the back, original contis still with plenty of tread went on the front.