ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another car gone, and one bought. X5 3.0d.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I really really adored that E500 I bought off @Mr Trebus

and I don’t really like X5s.

So I sold the E500, went back to him and bought this X5 off him.

8229232D-758F-4DB4-B243-32DFA38A210F.jpeg

FD4A1251-FC62-4B92-8ABF-A606992AC16F.jpeg

Why? Well it came with this as a bundle January sale deal from Bristols 173rd best car salesman.

30AD1D7B-38F6-426A-98E0-C4D4A361DCBD.jpeg

So much more room for activities now.

Back to the X5. It’s a “Sport” and a diesel. Lots of history, done the rounds on this forum as it is.

It’s an interesting comparison for me as I’ve owned two L322’s and they share a lot of bits. All the underpinnings are very similar indeed. However the X, so Wikipedia tells me, was never meant to be an SUV. BMW would much rather call it an “SAV”.

So what’s this SUV like to drive compared to an L322? Well at first quite disappointing but not surprising. I knew these things had a jiggly harsh ride, so no point comparing it there. It’s a win for the rangey.

However, this thing corners bloody well for a big car. The steering is noticeably weighted like a normal BMW. Also, dare I say it, there’s way less to go wrong. And if this example is anything to go by, less rust too.

Furthermore there’s no denying that this era was the best for BMW interiors. Completely devoid of excitement or character for sure, but the switchgear is perfect as is the ergonomics.

The engine is way too noisey, but from what I hear the L322s with this lump are the same. I am shocked at how well it pulls given the power it has is only about 200sh, so much torque. Gearbox is smooth. Heated seats are typical bmw arse burning spec.

So actually, after all my dissing and shunning of these things. Im growing rather fond of it already. And what’s best is - the price. These things are an incredible amount of car for the money. Noticeably more premium than something like a 3 series inside.

So yeah. I have a tow car and trailer now. Do miss the E500 but I’m pleasantly surprised by the E53.

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
X5’s are without a doubt, the best all round car under £5k.

I’m very biased, but I hate to love mine.

Racky

ClioSport Club Member
  Minion Yellow
Good buy there. We now have someone to help us with a trailer. You know the saying, you will have a lot of friends if you own a trailer or a car ramp 😄.

Had my eyes on this also, but thanks Sadik for the ULEZ.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I’m genuinely out of contract at the end of the month so happy to do some beer money trailering to keep me sane with my down time.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Land Rovers probably. Lots of Land Rovers.
He'll start posting in the pain/misery/financial ruin thread offering his services soon no doubt.

Not with that tow car/trailer combo he wont (you'd hope!), unless he fancies getting tugged by the po-po!

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
“The car on my trailer is my new car, personally. I just went and bought it”

I don’t follow? Surely the weight limit is the limit regardless of why you are towing it? That X5 can tow 2700kg inc trailer weight? You wont be getting a Range Rover on there within that limit? Or am i missing something?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I don’t follow? Surely the weight limit is the limit regardless of why you are towing it? That X5 can tow 2700kg inc trailer weight? You wont be getting a Range Rover on there within that limit? Or am i missing something?
My bad. I thought you meant towing over 3.5t with no tacho.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Already putting this setup to good use...

IMG_8842.jpeg

Major luck stumbling on this clio.

89,000 miles, with full history. Only 4 owners, absolutely loved all its life with zero rust! Will spend the week getting it tarted up, new belts, service and an MOT etc.

Think this is like, my 4th 182? Maybe 5th.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Always had a soft spot for this age X5, especially in Estoril Blue. What are they like fuel economy wise?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Always had a soft spot for this age X5, especially in Estoril Blue. What are they like fuel economy wise?
Im not sure, I think around 30mpg? The dash cluster reverted to German the day after I got it and I cant change it back so.... i'm measuring this tank and will see. Given that i thrash it around and ive been using it for towing, i dont expect much.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I regularly get 40-50 mpg out of mine. 38mpg average over 18,000 miles of daily driving and towing. (Mapped manual 3.0d).
The manuals do mental mpg for the size of the car. Bloke on the Facebook page regularly gets the same as you.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Doubt mines doing that, given the way I drive it. However its earning its keep.

Had to move my Roll Cab toolbox into the new unit, which required ANOTHER type of trailer (it was cheaper than a Luton Van to rent)

IMG_8934.jpeg

Only real issue I've found is the fact the washer pump is pretty weak. Good at spraying the scuttle panel, not quite the windscreen. £9 off ebay for a new one, but it does mean I have used more washer fluid than usual... (given the tank for it is 7.8L)

IMG_8933.jpeg

I still havent learnt german but I know its telling me to top up the washer bottle. At least, it isnt saying anthing is DAS KAPUT so I think I'm alright.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
When you wash it next, make sure you remove the towbar and wash it out and grease it up. All The salt will dry it out really quickly and the donkeys c0ck may fall….

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
You might have a leak, it had both the washer pumps replaced when I had it as it was pissing the fluid out of the reservoir rather than putting it on the screen. Doesn't mean one hasn't gone bad, but they were done IIRC. Should be an invoice in the history file.

It will do low 30's MPG on a sticking to the speed limit motorway run (with no trailer!) but that's your lot.

German display.... yeah...... it does that. No idea why...... :LOL:

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I’ve tracked the washer down to blocked jets. It’s leaking around them and popping the hoses slightly off.

Too busy tarting up a Clio to do much. It gets the bottom of the screen 😂 at least I have a spare pump now!

1CE284D9-3F33-46EF-BFDD-91A1BE7176AA.jpeg

Don’t worry @Daniel ill wash it at the weekend 😂

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
CAC0673F-507C-4C80-8C10-CB959F5DB765.png

Yeah that’s a fair bit of towing and me ragging it around local back roads all week.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I’ve done more miles in this car since picking it up, than I have on the odometer in my Up! GTI 😂

5C573B1A-7D21-43E5-8002-63A37161A8D2.jpeg

Really easy to feed your Clio addiction when you’re out of work and have a trailer.

Over 400 miles covered today. Didn’t miss a beat.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Turns out if you leave something plugged in for a week you drain the battery.

Bought this a few weeks back. It’s been used 3 times, all failed. Total garbage.

1D07557B-930B-42AC-99BF-494929468140.jpeg

All it did was drain the battery more. Even jump leads didn’t work!

Stuck the battery on charge and we are back in business. Good news: the IC is now speaking English:

65E177DE-E9E4-4B13-994A-6856EFD21D83.jpeg

Bad news, if I want a working radio I have to complete this quiz.

50ED7B8E-1C95-471A-843E-0FFC93597881.jpeg

Happy to take suggestions on what a previous owner considered his favourite album.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Turns out if you leave something plugged in for a week you drain the battery.

Bought this a few weeks back. It’s been used 3 times, all failed. Total garbage.

View attachment 1634891

All it did was drain the battery more. Even jump leads didn’t work!

Stuck the battery on charge and we are back in business. Good news: the IC is now speaking English:

View attachment 1634892

Bad news, if I want a working radio I have to complete this quiz.

View attachment 1634893

Happy to take suggestions on what a previous owner considered his favourite album.
Britney Spears - Blackout