ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another CUP bites the dust!

My immaculate 4500 mile 53 plate climate version has been crashed.

Not by me though as I sold it on Saturday. Just got a call from the police asking if I owned a Renault Clio. Apparently someone has stacked it and done a runner.

Not sure yet whether its the guy I sold it to or some git nicked it first.

Even though I no longer own it I am still a bit gutted as it was probably one of the best in the country.

172, Tiguan

For Sale:

53 plate Silver Cup with Climate. Low mileage, one carefull owner, £19k

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

Quote: Originally posted by Clart on 05 April 2005

i dont understand why so many cups are crashed?
lack of ABS.. most people nowaday have got used to it.. they get into a car without it and they dont know how to break properly

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

im sorry but thats no excuse. There are plenty of cars that dont have abs that arent crashed. u cant blame lack of abs for everything

the car is too quick for the immature inexperienced drivers that own many of them

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

Its not so much the lack of abs.... yes that dosnt help but unlike the other models with esp etc, once u lose the back end of a cup, it really is time to hold onto your balls and pray!

Fiesta Zetec S (for sale)

Probably a by product of the additional levels of grip. Suppose all it takes is overconfidence in the car, maybe taking the same corner at higher and higher speeds and not factoring in things like crap on the road or just other road users and when it does let go its more difficult to get it back. Just my tuppence worth.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by Bryan on 05 April 2005

the car is too quick for the immature inexperienced drivers that own many of them

I think I actually agree with you!

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

Quote: Originally posted by Bryan on 05 April 2005

agreed..... with out being big headed, i got it @ 18 and gave my self 3 - 4 months to learn the car and how it handles etc, taking each day as it comes, i know alot of my mates want to drive my car and kill it round corners, they are the sort who end up crashing it

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

im sorry but thats no excuse. There are plenty of cars that dont have abs that arent crashed. u cant blame lack of abs for everything
Well, name them? Name some other modern affordale hatchbacks without ABS?

Ofcourse serious drivers will have driving a range of cars and therfore have the experience to handle them. But the fact of the matter is that the adverage car owner will not have had to drive a car without ABS for say the past 5 or so years.

Im not shifting the loss of every cup onto the lack of ABS but those lost durning winter were clearly due to insufficent braking skills on the drivers part.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

Quote: Originally posted by Iain C on 05 April 2005

Dont know how we ever managed without abs...:confused:
lol, I hate ABS.. I thought there was something wrong with my car when it went in for a service.. service manage came back and said it was the ABS kicking in when I braked.

Focus ST3

Yes its certainly true that most cars have ABS, but you need to think about how often you activate it. Before getting the cup I drove a civic VTI for two years and activated the ABS just a couple of times on a rough piece of road at the end of my street. You dont need it unless you drive very close to the car in front. I certainly dont drive slowly before people start making assumptions about my sexuality...

Over confidence sounds much more like the problem. 172/182s have monster grip and people are creatures of habit...probably loads will get cained after the dry summer ends and the roads grease up again for the winter.

Quote: Originally posted by Bryan on 05 April 2005Quote: Originally posted by Clart on 05 April 2005 i dont understand why so many cups are crashed?
[/QUOTE]
the car is too quick for the immature inexperienced drivers that own many of them[/QUOTE]
I think I actually agree with you!

dont give me that rubbish, you are not allowed to agree with me :mad:

Lee

BMW M2C

Have you seen the age of some of the owners on here recently?

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

Lee, Im 30...and have a family, so I cant be called a youngster...but I agree, some of the cup owners are getting younger...with insurance being the way it is, most younger lads/ladies wont get the car as it will cost a fortune to insure in most cases. The problem is with younger people (and some older people!!) they have a fast car and think it will get them out of trouble, as well as into it! At least now the winter months have all but gone, there should be less accidents (touch wood and fingers crossed). But time will tell

Lee

BMW M2C

I know mate, but there does seem to be a lot of very young members with 172/182/Cups and even V6 cropping up at the moment.

Most of us worked our way up through the lower ranks before something a bit quicker came along.

Nippy white cup

I have to agree with Lee there. Although just because someone is young doesnt make them a worse driver, but some people go from a 1 ltr to a quick 2ltr and dont realise just how quick they are accelerating.

Chris

Ziel Nurburgring

If you are driving in such a way that you need ESP to save your ass, then you shouldnt have a licence. That sort of driving on the roads is unacceptable.

Yes we all have fun, blatting about country lanes but to be really getting out of shape your pushing it further than you should on the road.

[Edited by blink172 on 05 April 2005 at 3:19pm]

Not taking into account times where ESP is needed through non t**ser driving

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by rabbos on 05 April 2005
You dont need it unless you drive very close to the car in front. I certainly dont drive slowly before people start making assumptions about my sexuality...

Yes that will certainly help next time somone pulls out of a junction cauing a t-bone style accident. You really think ABS was designed so that people could drive up each others arse on the road ?

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by Saner on 05 April 2005

Well, name them? Name some other modern affordale hatchbacks without ABS?

Ofcourse serious drivers will have driving a range of cars and therfore have the experience to handle them. But the fact of the matter is that the adverage car owner will not have had to drive a car without ABS for say the past 5 or so years.

Im not shifting the loss of every cup onto the lack of ABS but those lost durning winter were clearly due to insufficent braking skills on the drivers part.

why does it have to be a modern car? how many valver owners on here have wrote their cars off in the past 18 months? We dont have ABS?

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 05 April 2005

Have you seen the age of some of the owners on here recently?
Age has nothing to do with it, I brought my 172 when I had just turned 18, now 19 and got my 182 cup and Ive never crashed !!! like others have said its probably more about being over confident.

I personally think you just have to know the cars limits, push it too far and of course will crash, every car has its limits.

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

I have to agree........ Its not age all the time! I pushed my 106 quiksilver round corners faster than i do my Cup!!!!!

I dont know whats gone on as the guy said he was going to the states on Sunday. Its certainly going to be a nasty surprise to get back and find his new CUP is trashed.

Im just hoping there are no problems with the bankers draft I paid in for the car yesterday.

The Sport Clios are to easy too push and therefore risks are taken and indeed the inevitable can happen.

I used to drive very different before the 172 arrived.

Im not arrogant enough to deny that since acquisition I now drive like a tw*t occasionally - using wrong lanes as I know I can get away quicker and overtaking cars and getting no further up the road etc.

Octavia VRS

I think age can come into it but each person is different. Some 18/19 year old who is lucky enough to get a CUP could be the most sensible driver in the world while others might jump from their previous 1.2 and want to hammer it right away and due to their inexperience have a bad accident.

You might also get a 28 year old who has had lower powered cars but then gets a fast car and might not be mature enough to respect the power.

Depends on the person

Quote: Originally posted by D-CUP on 05 April 2005

I dont know whats gone on as the guy said he was going to the states on Sunday. Its certainly going to be a nasty surprise to get back and find his new CUP is trashed.

Im just hoping there are no problems with the bankers draft I paid in for the car yesterday.
You must be concerned...

Is your name still on the V5 registration - will you be liable for anything?

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

Its more to do with experience than age you could be thirty and have next to no experience driving a quick car.

Quote: Originally posted by Iain C on 05 April 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Bryan on 05 April 2005Quote: Originally posted by Clart on 05 April 2005 i dont understand why so many cups are crashed?
[/QUOTE]
the car is too quick for the immature inexperienced drivers that own many of them^^^Deffo! They are quick cars and need respect! [/QUOTE]

I think you need to be able to drive very well to cope with a cup, I even think you have to be a good driver to have a 182 as they are brutally quick.

/y0z

clio v6

learning to drive quick takes time and you must learn that the car is designed mainly for ROAD USE... not track use......

use track days to learn where the limits of the car is not the local A road..

[Edited by clarkiev6 on 05 April 2005 at 3:51pm]

I dont envy your position...

Im sure you are liable for the vehicle until the new V5 has been issued :(

182, GTR, C63

I used to be called DoddCup and i crashed my cup!

I crashed for most of the reasons mentioned above like i was young 18 and was lead into a false sense of security taking corners faster and faster.

Only ever had 1 problem with a lack of abs and i managed to pull it back. Also the road wasnt as dry

I admit i drove like a c*ck and ended up with the consequences. I had many times had it sideways on roundabouts on purpose and a few times over 80 once at 95 which is extremely irresponsable but atleast i admit it. Ended up stuffing it on a corner that i didnt bother to brake for and the back tyres were low and it let go without coming back.

Loved the car and miss it and im a lot more cautious now and drive sensably by most peoples standards. You cant really make many comments about my driving that i havent made already.

Im driving a 1.8 focus now for a year till i can get insured on a 182 (want esp) and ive gotta go on a driving course to get out of getting any points or banned (lucky git i know) which im hoping will add to my new standard of driving.

As you can guess the crash happened at the end of summer when it got cooler and damper without me realising as dry grip was plentyful.

Sorry for the essay