ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another CUP bites the dust!

172 cup

I had a 2 litre 306 for 3 and a half years but as soon as i got my cup i realised why so many young drivers write them off, as theyre very quick and have a lot of power at the front wheels for such a small light car, and getting used to it in the rain and snow was a bit scary. I definitely think that far too many crashes are blamed on the lack of ABS. As its been pointed out a hundred times already the times u need it are few and far between, and the most likely cause of a lot of crashes is probably overconfidence in a car that deserves respect. IMHO of course.

E91 M Sport

Thats very honest Wezzie - how refreshing! I was having this conversation with a friend at the weekend and we both decided if wed had 182/V6 a couple of years ago wed probably be dead or have a record number of points, its all about experience and age.

Ziel Nurburgring

Quote: Originally posted by miketheman2k on 05 April 2005
Thats very honest Wezzie - how refreshing! I was having this conversation with a friend at the weekend and we both decided if wed had 182/V6 a couple of years ago wed probably be dead or have a record number of points, its all about experience and age.

How true, i know that owning slower cars when younger must have saved my license/life many times. It scares me that people under 22 on here owning Evos, Scoobys and TVRs. Talk about accident waiting to happen, literally

why would having a powerful car kill you any quicker or make you crash it any quicker. i feel that what ever car you have you can still go fast enough to die. i would rather be in a poweful car if an acceident was about to happen. the powerful car can stop a lot quicker and will also be safer. when do you ever drive your car @ its max speed i.e 140? because this is really the only unsafe thing a powerful car can do what a less powerful car cant. what ever car you will own can always be driven fast. i.e 2 cars doing 80 mile an our round a corner. one is a smart car and the other is a 182. what would you rather be in. and what has more chance of coming of the road.

172 cup

Quote: Originally posted by bsimmer3000 on 05 April 2005

. one is a smart car and the other is a 182. what would you rather be in. and what has more chance of coming of the road.

How many smart cars are written off compared to 172s, cups, saxo vts etc? Its a nice idea that your just as likely to crash in a slow car, but that isnt usually the case.

Nicksie

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 CUP

I had an incident in my 1.4 litre Renault 5 (first car) it scared the hell out of me and made me realise that I needed to stop being an idiot. Not only that it was a lot of money to repair. So when I splashed out my very hard earned cash on my 172 CUP, I knew right from the start it had to be respected, and it is!

Ok lets say that 1 in ten cars are a powerful car. i have seen cars in dicthes and on fields on top of grass roundabouts and smashed into other cars from behind. am always on the road so see acciedents all the time. i can honeslty say i aint seen a hot hatch or powerful car crashed for the last few years. saying that i see more vans of the road than anything and they are slow as f**k lol

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 05 April 2005

How true, i know that owning slower cars when younger must have saved my license/life many times. It scares me that people under 22 on here owning Evos, Scoobys and TVRs. Talk about accident waiting to happen, literally

once again someone who seems to think its down to age, may I ask why ??? whats wrong with owning a 182, Evo, Scooby or TVR under the age of 22 ?? like people have said before if you are careful and respect the cars capability there should be no problem.

Quote: Originally posted by Loki on 05 April 2005
there is an old saying

its not how fast you drive, its how you drive fast.

M8 i know you are saying this but you have just crashed you 1.2 , so think you have to think about how you drive , also i am happy to stick with my 1.2 and work my way up to bigger cars.

Gregg

Nippy white cup

Quote: Originally posted by harv172 on 05 April 2005

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 05 April 2005

once again someone who seems to think its down to age, may I ask why ??? whats wrong with owning a 182, Evo, Scooby or TVR under the age of 22 ?? like people have said before if you are careful and respect the cars capability there should be no problem.
I think his point is that a younger driver is more likely to drive dangerously. When I had my 1.2 I used to blast around every where and if there was someone in front Id overtake (in a sensible place). I have noticed that as I have grown up I have a lot more patience and can happily stay behind other cars (although I do still like to go for a blast ;)).

Chris

Surely the simple fact is that youre more likely to have an accident the younger (and by implication less experienced) you are. Yes its a generalisation but then so are most things in life.

I dont think young drivers should take it personally. Generally, Id say its true that the two most dangerous groups would be young drivers, and inexperienced drivers. Put the two together and youve got the most potentially lethal mix. Throw in a car thats capable of reaching speeds at a rate your experience/testosterone levels cant control or cope with, and its good night vienna.

Some of you young guys may not agree, but in a few years you will, and your insurance company already does ;)

182, GTR, C63

I wouldnt say its all depends on age its a combination of most of the above. Before i crashed the cup id got plenty of miles under my belt as i did 7-8k in my first car (corsa) then (9000) in my clio and also done around 15-20k miles in vans. Id been having a drive of cars since i was old enough to reach the pedals.

The day i picked the clio up i remeber the excitement and thinking it was rapid but i didnt just thrash the pants off it straight away. I agree its still little experience for such a car but had i have drove it sensibly between 6-8 tenths pace it would still be here now. I realise this and everybody makes mistakes but only a fool makes the same mistake twice!

Suprisingly i can still insure a 172 and i recon by christmas when i have a years ncb (hopefully) ill be able to insure a 182 without selling some internal organs. If not i quite fancy once of those ugly as hell mr2s that look like a frog to put me on.

Recon ill be able to get a 2nd hand 182 for 10k???

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

i think in-experience is the main problem as has been stated before, not just with cups etc but any car, dunno what else to say without ranting

Quote: Originally posted by gsmgregg on 05 April 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Loki on 05 April 2005there is an old saying

its not how fast you drive, its how you drive fast.

M8 i know you are saying this but you have just crashed you 1.2 , so think you have to think about how you drive , also i am happy to stick with my 1.2 and work my way up to bigger cars.

Gregg

i was going to say the same thing