ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another failed MOT thread

Giulietta 940
Had to get my 182 MOT'd today, as its 3 years old now. It failed on a broken brake light bulb and the nearside and offside front track rod end ball joints had "excessive play".

This is now costing me £200 to remedy, including the MOT test fee. Is this price too much?

I've also been issued an advisory for my rear left tyre, and front and rear brake pads. I'm guessing this will also cost me a bundle, but does anybody have a rough estimation?

What's worst is I'm left driving my girlfriend's Fiat Punto for now...

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Bulb would cost £2, Track rod ends, now unless they are dealer only for the 182s probably around £30 for the pair. So then its just labour ontop of that - absolute tops around 2 hours if the track rod ends prove a bit stubborn to remove.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Sounds about right think my nearside ball joint cost 70 quid to replace at a local garage. I'd kick up a fuss them about them charging the test fee again.

Giulietta 940
Mmmk, thanks for the advice. I already asked them if I'd have to pay for a retest and they said I wouldn't. Hopefully they won't change their mind by tomorrow morning.

Pads are easy to do your self if you are that way inclined.

From Renault I think you are talking 50 front and 30 rear for the pads themselves, can be got cheaper or more expensive but you pretty much get what you pay for. Most people on here like Ferrodo DS2500 on the front, I can recommend them, about 100 for the front.

I'd say 1 hour labour to do all four corners maybe 1.5.

They always advise on the rears as they are only about a nano meter thick to start with. I wouldn't bother myself. Compare new to old and you'll see what I mean.

wtf?

In scotland you could never charge like that.

Trade price on a bulb is around 20p, track rod ends from Dingbro full trade are just over a tenner each full test price is 53 quid and nowhere charges that and certainly I hope no one is stupid enough to pay full test fee!

Giulietta 940
MOT price was £40, and the track rod ends are £75 for both. No doubt I've been charged £5 for a bulb (which I didn't ask them to replace) and then the rest is labour I presume.

A friend of a friend said he'd do it the track rod ends and the tracking for me, but after labour and parts it would only end up being a tenner or so cheaper I should imagine, and it would also take two days longer too.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
you should have MOT'd the car before it turned 3 years old, that way any work could have been done under warranty, I did my E-Class yesterday (the MOT isn't due till 25/12/2008) and it passed, but if anything had been wrong Mercedes would have sorted it FOC. MOT was £53.10 for me as stated on the Government website, so they are already charging you less for that.

Giulietta 940
Yeah I realise, but it completely slipped my mind that the warranty was about to end :(

The car is in the garage at the moment, should be ready by 3pm. Then I should probably get some tax.