ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another full fat to cup aux belt setup question

Various
Ooops sorry if this has been covered so many times :eek:

had a quick search and there seems to be a bit of a mixed result.

I have a full fat 172 ph2 and I will be doing the aux belt tensioner setup very shortly, being full fat It has aircon.

Now I dont even use aircon so instead of replacing like for like maybe I might be better off going down the cup route and junking the aircon and aux belt tensioner setup, ala cup route ;)

and saving me x amount on a new tensioner and pulley etc.

Now this is the bit that im getting mixed results, from what I gather I need a cup alternator and brackets along with new belt etc, but the pas pump maybe the awkard issue, will I be able to manipulate pipes to get it to fit correctly or will I have to purchase additional pipes etc?

anyone have any good links or pics to threads with this being done the easy way? any other issues with doing a full fat to cup belt conversion?

Tia

Nick

Clio 172
You can use the brackets from a 1.8L Laguna and save a wee bi there and yes you can bend/manipulate the PAS pipe but be careful not to break them.

I did it on mine and its working fine.

ITB'd MK1
if you get it all from a laguna, you should be able to use the pressure pipe from the laguna too. It's a flexible hose not pre-bent hard-pipe.

Laguna alternator needs one extra wire adding. A switched live.

Various
After drawing a blank on the conversion to non aircon route :(
mostly laziness on my behalf :eek:

I decided to get the original aux belt tensioner setup and keep the aircon as I was getting more concerned at the pulley noise.

Set myself a nice day to spend on my car earlier this morning and all I can say is what a B1tch of a job they really are :mad:

Im even a mechanic by trade and although admitedly I very rarely get to work on the RS variants at least using my own car was good foundations as a test bed if you like ;) it did give me an insight on firstly how little space there really is to work in :eek: honestly I think I could of removed and refitted the engine quicker than changing that poxy belt setup :evil:

All I can say is thank fcuk for the big jubilee clip......;)

Well its done now and purring like a pussy cat so all is well :D