ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another jc5 bites the dust

Clio 172 ph2 / bikes
Can’t believe this is my first post here. ?? hoped it would have been the (wet side) cv boot but no joy.

Two months in to owning my first hot hatch, ph2 172, 125k on the clocks. Gutted.

Limped it a mile home. Fair to say this box is dead. Anyone hazard a guess as to what the cause has been? I’m not clued up on gearboxes I’m thinking it’s been cv or bearing related based on where it is ??‍♀️

Attachments

• 3E36E628-1944-4F6F-9466-B19835BEDDAA.jpeg
    3E36E628-1944-4F6F-9466-B19835BEDDAA.jpeg
    772.3 KB · Views: 329
  • E3F9FA38-85B8-412B-AAFF-E61732DBE8F2.jpeg
    E3F9FA38-85B8-412B-AAFF-E61732DBE8F2.jpeg
    767.4 KB · Views: 328
  PH2 172
Can’t believe this is my first post here. ?? hoped it would have been the (wet side) cv boot but no joy.

Two months in to owning my first hot hatch, ph2 172, 125k on the clocks. Gutted.

Limped it a mile home. Fair to say this box is dead. Anyone hazard a guess as to what the cause has been? I’m not clued up on gearboxes I’m thinking it’s been cv or bearing related based on where it is ??‍♀️

It`s a bit academic really, but probably the mainshaft bearings.

@[U]Adeyspec[/U] may still have a good one, ready to go £165.

Clio 172 ph2 / bikes
It`s a bit academic really, but probably the mainshaft bearings.

@[U]Adeyspec[/U] may still have a good one, ready to go £165.

Kinda what I was thinking, yeah cheers for the quick response man ?? Might chase adey up if it comes to it. I’m speaking to someone local at the moment about a 182 box to see if it’s still available.

PH2 172
Kinda what I was thinking, yeah cheers for the quick response man ?? Might chase adey up if it comes to it. I’m speaking to someone local at the moment about a 182 box to see if it’s still available.

Shame he`s in Gloucestershire & your in Scotland.

Are you out in the wild part where UPS won`t venture?

Clio 172 ph2 / bikes
Shame he`s in Gloucestershire & your in Scotland.

Are you out in the wild part where UPS won`t venture?

Always the case around here ?

I’m Central Scotland, Perthshire but it’s on the cusp of being highlands, some couriers charge a fortune for the postcode but others are fine. Total hit or miss.

Seems to be some boxes to be had for reasonable money still if you avoid theifbay which is a relief

PH2 172

I’m Central Scotland, Perthshire but it’s on the cusp of being highlands, some couriers charge a fortune for the postcode but others are fine. Total hit or miss.

Seems to be some boxes to be had for reasonable money still if you avoid theifbay which is a relief

I liked the rare Trophy one @ £570 or whatever.

Clio 172 ph2 / bikes
I liked the rare Trophy one @ £570 or whatever.

“Ultra rare” ? yeah spotted that one. I’d imagine it’s pretty much the same jc5 in the sports & cups. Can’t say I’m all that clued up in all the variations of 172/182 driveline bits yet. Just what comes up with quick search.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
The thing to check on yours is if it's a speedo drive box or not. If it's not a 182 box is fine, if it is then you need to make sure you get another speedo drive one if you want to know how fast your going!

PH2 172
“Ultra rare” ? yeah spotted that one. I’d imagine it’s pretty much the same jc5 in the sports & cups. Can’t say I’m all that clued up in all the variations of 172/182 driveline bits yet. Just what comes up with quick search.

182 Trophy has exactly the same box as any i82.

This may help, also @Adeyspec has a 130.
https://www.cliosport.net/threads/which-gearbox-do-i-need.816040/#post-11563937

This picture shows the location of the speedo drive on a 129 or 089.

JC5 129 SPEEDO DRIVE 1.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member

pm me with a postcode and i can try and get a quote for you if you like (y)

dan's cast offs.
i send any with tnt or ups booked through interparcel, £15 on a next day delivery. i think they weigh 30kg so that's what i put them down as ?

dan's cast offs.
they fit in a banana box, just. but i've had them sent to me wrapped in cardboard. pallet is around £50.

Clio 172 ph2 / bikes
you on csoc scotland? loads of bits popping up on there cheap.

Can’t say I am, had a quick google, are you on about the Facebook page? I came away from Facebook but kept messenger.

The thing to check on yours is if it's a speedo drive box or not. If it's not a 182 box is fine, if it is then you need to make sure you get another speedo drive one if you want to know how fast your going!

Ah it’s fine you can tell from the revs and gears... kinda ? one of my motorbikes just runs a rev counter that I’ve marked to indicate rough speed. Kind of need it in the car though, more chance of getting caught out.

Haven’t checked the codes yet but it’s a ph2 sport with abs and esp so I’d assume the speedo is taken off the abs. I will double check though.

182 Trophy has exactly the same box as any i82.

This may help, also @Adeyspec has a 130.
https://www.cliosport.net/threads/which-gearbox-do-i-need.816040/#post-11563937

This picture shows the location of the speedo drive on a 129 or 089.

View attachment 1366951

Would of thought it was and yeah much appreciated Steve ?? I’ll have a quick read of that.

pm me with a postcode and i can try and get a quote for you if you like (y)

Think I’ve got something sorted but if it all goes pear shaped I’ll give you a shout, cheers.

i send any with tnt or ups booked through interparcel, £15 on a next day delivery. i think they weigh 30kg so that's what i put them down as ?

That’s crazy cheap! I’ll have to bare that in mind next time I’m sending heavy parts. I use myhermes quite a bit, they do the 10-15kg range mainland to mainland for about a tenner. Obviously no use for a gearbox.

//

Seriously guys I really appreciate the input! A lot of these forums have died off and it’s good seeing one with a strong community. I’ll be paying for membership once the bank account settles after the unexpected hit.

That’s a clutch kit, gearbox top mount, engine mount and powerflex black bushing ordered up. I’d had planned on going solid mount in the next few weeks but when is a gearbox failure ever timed well.

Got a friend collecting the new box somewhat local ish on Tuesday all going well, should be back on the road next week. Here’s hoping the new box isn’t a dud.

Clio 172 ph2 / bikes
Just physically checked for a speedo drive [1am pitch black with a torch] and I don’t have a speedo sensor plugged into anything. ? there might be a connector on the box but I just couldn’t make it out in the dark, wasn't anything plugged in anyhow. for all intensive purposes the 182’s 130 will do the job as it must be taking signal off the abs.

Once again cheers for the input guys! I thought it was only the ph2 cup and ph1 that used a speedo drive. Didn’t consider that it could be an issue, Good thing is this local ish box is from the 182

Clio 172 ph2 / bikes
@STEVE.M that’s the connector for the speedo drive isn’t it? So odd that my speedos still working.

**** kind of hit the fan last night, got my new box this morning but it’s going to be getting stripped at the weekend rather than today now.

70k 130 box and a 182 manifold for peanuts. Already got a full stainless system on the car so I’ll have to figure out what manifold I’ve currently got, see if it’s worthwhile fitting the 182 mani.
BE5393F2-F5E7-4D63-A366-5EE93AE657F6.jpeg

PH2 172
@STEVE.M that’s the connector for the speedo drive isn’t it? So odd that my speedos still working.

**** kind of hit the fan last night, got my new box this morning but it’s going to be getting stripped at the weekend rather than today now.

70k 130 box and a 182 manifold for peanuts. Already got a full stainless system on the car so I’ll have to figure out what manifold I’ve currently got, see if it’s worthwhile fitting the 182 mani.
View attachment 1367433

That`s where it would go.
As it`s not throwing oil out, you must have a 130.
speedo drive..png

Clio 172 ph2 / bikes
It’s a well discussed topic on here but seriously the gearbox on the Clio isn’t a job for the faint hearted. If I were to do it again I wouldn’t take it out the bottom without having already having had the subframe off previously on said car.

Couple of things to note, watch out for the heat sheild Bolted to the rear upper subframe. Remember to disconnect the crank tdc sensor on top of the box too... seriously. The snap ring on the rhd drive shaft is a cnnnt of a thing. Expect the subframe retaining nut clips to spin. Front nuts are accessible from the outer sides, pry the broken clip out and use a 16mm spark plug socket as there’s no access for a ratchet. If you have to drill them make sure you’ve got fresh drills as it’s brutal.

Currently waiting on Renault getting rear captive nuts in on special order at about £10.12 each iirc. New tdc sensor and box top mount bolt.

Renault would want about 60 for a full set of fresh subframe mounting bolts and captive nuts... ?

Box is in, Subframes ready to bolt back on. Then it’s just shafts on and price the rest together.

Everything imaginable went wrong for us. Including the OS top engine mount breaking whilst on a jack trying to haul the box off the engine... ? lucky I had a mount ready to go on but that was genuinely scary whilst it dropped and floated on the jack. Every captive subframe nut spun, felt like the front nuts were rotten down to about 12mm but finally realised the clips need pryed off first because you just can’t see in. Gearbox top mount main bolt had to be removed from underneath, top nut completely stuck on, couldn’t get it off with impact or in a vice with a breaker bar, so had to refit it temp with an ahnniliated mount until I get a fresh bolt. Won’t list every issue faced but the car isn’t a rotter, it’s in very good shape underneath and it was ridiculous the amount of things that went wrong.

So far I’ve spent 39hours for a gearbox swap and clutch, granted I don’t know the Clios well but this was on a ramp with a good arsenal of tools and assisted for about 20 Hours work of the overall 39, both of us are fairly competent home mechanics who can do most jobs. Spent 22.5 hours straight working with one wee cuppy break.

This has been a colossal task with just how much went wrong. Obviously not quite finished but ehm yeah... wasn’t expecting that to happen.

After having gone through everything and better knowing the car it would probably take a quarter of the time. I know of someone who’s done it in less than 4 which is quite respectable.

Clio 172 ph2 / bikes
If you’re stupid like me and remove the starter heatsheild. this Method works for getting it back in... without removing the manifold ?. Just make sure you don’t put it in the wrong way like I did after taking the pic ? then break the clip off pulling it back out. Superglue is a magical thing though ?
B116BE69-F01B-41DE-828B-9DABE76C6297.jpeg

Clio 172 ph2 / bikes
no comment on 39 hours ?

have you glued the clip back on the heatshield?

Tell me about it, I stopped counting after that but probably close to 60... everything that could’ve went wrong or have been awkward, was. Not being Clio familiar didn’t help but it got beyond ridiculous. It’s like oh it’s only so many bolts, you do this you do that, subframes off, drop the box and fire it back together. I get that and it should be a half day or maybe a day at most. But yeah I know how obscene the hour count is but every aspect of it turned out to be “one of those jobs” in itself. So relieved it’s done.

And yeah I superglued it on haha and got it squeezed into place under the manifold somehow with needlenose vice grips. I doubt it’ll break free but if it does I’ll hear it in about the driveshaft pretty quickly I’d imagine and panic at the noise. It’s underestimated just how strong it is.

//

But yeah the cars been back together for a few days and has done About 200 mile of mixed aggression. Box seems sound ??Feels like it’s pulling much harder too, likely part down to knackered mounts getting replaced.

Think I’ll need to tweak the selector rod again as it needs a reeeeaaaaal wriggle to select reverse right now. Sometimes easier than others.

Clutch feels dead fussy as the biting points at that point of the lever where it really springs up. It’s fine though.

Shifts are so much crisper and concise but still inherently Clio’ey. Powerflex dogbone done and the nylon bush has been replaced.

The steering wheel is off to the left slightly (11ish) even though the column wasn’t disconnected from the rack. Going to try slacken the rack bolts and see if it’ll move on the subframe before looking at getting tracking done as it was fine before and hasn’t been messed with, was just left to hang when the subframe dropped and supported with cableties.

Steering pump seems to be making a bit of noise when turning now. Most so at full lock.

Throttlebody started whining with the ignition on in the cars down time.

Front camber needs setup properly once I get some new tyres on it and the new springs settle. I’ve got a wee gauge but the angle shifts on one side when I do the opposite hub after having it bang on. It’s close enough, just annoying.

Left hand front calliper is bound up slightly so I’ll need to clean and free the slider or rebuild it if needs be.

Noticed the two front cup shocks were oily and not returning although very firm. So they need done.

There’s always something but I’m slowly bringing it back to better health not that it’s by any stretch bad yet. Nothing major other than the dephaser starting to go.

Once I’ve rectified the recent issues, I’ll get some fresh summer rubber. Probably t1rs as there decent value for money at £130 a set right now 195/50/15. Rear disks are about done so I’ll upgrade the lot, decent pads and get camber shims for the rear. Braided lines at some point too, get those blue monzas painted, very likely strip it out too. Ac delete is on the cards when I do the belts and reseal the rocker. Got some 182 headers sitting which I’ll grab a ktec link for. So yeah going to get the foundations right and then look at getting it mapped. The cars a long term, fun daily b-road basher to me and will see a bit of light track work when the time comes. Albeit very good, It’s not a mint car and won’t be getting ruined by being stripped, will be looking for a decent used cage as well. I’m all about a lightweight and buzzy b-road basher.

Massive post but yeah that’s what’s going on and the Long term plans as well.

Attachments

• FC7CC466-008A-43CC-A717-840C6FDA6DD9.jpeg
    FC7CC466-008A-43CC-A717-840C6FDA6DD9.jpeg
    625.2 KB · Views: 152

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
After spending 39 hours get decent tyres, t1r’s are crap. I rate the Avon zv7, £40 online. Great in all conditions.

2003 Clio 172
It’s a well discussed topic on here but seriously the gearbox on the Clio isn’t a job for the faint hearted. If I were to do it again I wouldn’t take it out the bottom without having already having had the subframe off previously on said car.

Couple of things to note, watch out for the heat sheild Bolted to the rear upper subframe. Remember to disconnect the crank tdc sensor on top of the box too... seriously. The snap ring on the rhd drive shaft is a cnnnt of a thing. Expect the subframe retaining nut clips to spin. Front nuts are accessible from the outer sides, pry the broken clip out and use a 16mm spark plug socket as there’s no access for a ratchet. If you have to drill them make sure you’ve got fresh drills as it’s brutal.

Currently waiting on Renault getting rear captive nuts in on special order at about £10.12 each iirc. New tdc sensor and box top mount bolt.

Renault would want about 60 for a full set of fresh subframe mounting bolts and captive nuts... ?

Box is in, Subframes ready to bolt back on. Then it’s just shafts on and price the rest together.

Everything imaginable went wrong for us. Including the OS top engine mount breaking whilst on a jack trying to haul the box off the engine... ? lucky I had a mount ready to go on but that was genuinely scary whilst it dropped and floated on the jack. Every captive subframe nut spun, felt like the front nuts were rotten down to about 12mm but finally realised the clips need pryed off first because you just can’t see in. Gearbox top mount main bolt had to be removed from underneath, top nut completely stuck on, couldn’t get it off with impact or in a vice with a breaker bar, so had to refit it temp with an ahnniliated mount until I get a fresh bolt. Won’t list every issue faced but the car isn’t a rotter, it’s in very good shape underneath and it was ridiculous the amount of things that went wrong.

So far I’ve spent 39hours for a gearbox swap and clutch, granted I don’t know the Clios well but this was on a ramp with a good arsenal of tools and assisted for about 20 Hours work of the overall 39, both of us are fairly competent home mechanics who can do most jobs. Spent 22.5 hours straight working with one wee cuppy break.

This has been a colossal task with just how much went wrong. Obviously not quite finished but ehm yeah... wasn’t expecting that to happen.

After having gone through everything and better knowing the car it would probably take a quarter of the time. I know of someone who’s done it in less than 4 which is quite respectable.

This fills me with dread as mine will need doing in the near future due to developing a whine. Not planning on doing the job myself due to lack of ability/experience/tools. Wondering how much a garage will charge me to fit a used box after reading this ?

Clio 172 ph2 / bikes
After spending 39 hours get decent tyres, t1r’s are crap. I rate the Avon zv7, £40 online. Great in all conditions.

40s not bad, I’ll have a look nearer the time. Agreed there are much better tyres out there but I just think they’re hard to beat for the money. Money being the issue as I just spent my tyre budget doing the box and all the little bits. I’m a fan of the sportcontacts and Falken ziex 714 I think they were, can’t remember now actually. T1rs are like the default unless I can find a better deal at the time.

Clio 172 ph2 / bikes
This fills me with dread as mine will need doing in the near future due to developing a whine. Not planning on doing the job myself due to lack of ability/experience/tools. Wondering how much a garage will charge me to fit a used box after reading this ?

If it’s whining the first thing I’d do is make sure the oil got done and pray haha. ?

Thing is I’m not a mechanic by trade and I work on bikes primarily, actual mechanics will deal with all the issues I faced on a weekly basis and have quicker means of dealing with them. You won’t get nailed with 60 hours of labour. I’ve heard of people getting hit with a couple hundred pounds for just removing a subframe though. Think I said in a previous post but I know of someone who did it in a driveway in about 4 hours. I guess it’s the luck of the draw when it comes to knackered bolts and just how much goes wrong. Having sorted all the little things and knowing the car better I reckon I could do it in half a day with a second set of hands for the heavy bits.

Speak to your preferred mechanic and see what he says it’ll roughly be. The swap really did run away and get ridiculous on me, no doubt he’ll be in kinks if you say it took the best part of 60 hours for me to swap.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
40s not bad, I’ll have a look nearer the time. Agreed there are much better tyres out there but I just think they’re hard to beat for the money. Money being the issue as I just spent my tyre budget doing the box and all the little bits. I’m a fan of the sportcontacts and Falken ziex 714 I think they were, can’t remember now actually. T1rs are like the default unless I can find a better deal at the time.

Not hard to beat, quite easy lol.

2003 Clio 172
If it’s whining the first thing I’d do is make sure the oil got done and pray haha. ?

Thing is I’m not a mechanic by trade and I work on bikes primarily, actual mechanics will deal with all the issues I faced on a weekly basis and have quicker means of dealing with them. You won’t get nailed with 60 hours of labour. I’ve heard of people getting hit with a couple hundred pounds for just removing a subframe though. Think I said in a previous post but I know of someone who did it in a driveway in about 4 hours. I guess it’s the luck of the draw when it comes to knackered bolts and just how much goes wrong. Having sorted all the little things and knowing the car better I reckon I could do it in half a day with a second set of hands for the heavy bits.

Speak to your preferred mechanic and see what he says it’ll roughly be. The swap really did run away and get ridiculous on me, no doubt he’ll be in kinks if you say it took the best part of 60 hours for me to swap.

Oil change didn't make any difference unfortunately, even with the addition of some Lucas oil stabiliser. It hasn't really got any worse in the couple of months it's been doing it thankfully, however I know it will need sorting out eventually. I've heard of some people's boxes lasting like this for 10k miles plus, equally it could go pop next week. Definitely a lottery.

Clio 172 ph2 / bikes
Not hard to beat, quite easy lol.

I’ll agree to disagree ? “for the money” being the key phrase. T1r’s knocked down to 130 for 4 is dirt cheap. Represents good value for what they are, not to say they’re exceptional tyres but they’re good for the money. Tyres are such a personal thing. Those av7s seem to generally get a bad to average review. Doesn’t really mean much does it if they’re fit for your purpose.

See what happens but not looking to sink much into consumables until the dreaded dephaser is done and rocker resealed. Having to prioritise sucks haha

Clio 172 ph2 / bikes
Oil change didn't make any difference unfortunately, even with the addition of some Lucas oil stabiliser. It hasn't really got any worse in the couple of months it's been doing it thankfully, however I know it will need sorting out eventually. I've heard of some people's boxes lasting like this for 10k miles plus, equally it could go pop next week. Definitely a lottery.

That sucks and yeah it’s just a time bomb isn’t it ? I got lucky, my box cracked clutching out from the parking space at my house and I didn’t notice till about a mile down the road so was able to limp it back. If that had happened on a trip my wallet would’ve been in a much worse state... might actually get an rac membership when the finances are back flush because... Clio sport life ?

Clio 172 ph2 / bikes
For the record the Black powerflex top mount really isn’t too vibey. Installed it after a few days running on brand new top gear box and top engine mount w/ a used powerflex dogbone and it’s made for a lot more engine stability on top of what the new mounts were already doing. Well impressed.

Their customer service in regard to warranty is Exceptional too.

Clio 172 ph2 / bikes
T1r’s are plain crap. It’s not good value if they are rubbish.

Let it go man, let it go ? they’re a decent budget tyre for a bit of quick road use. find me a better set of tyres for 130 and I’ll wholeheartidly agree with you. ??‍♀️