ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another jc5 bites the dust

Clio 172 ph2 / bikes
T1rs are absolutely not on par with others in their rough full rrp range.

I’ve used them but not on the clio, been in a few nippy cars with them, been surprised by them in the dry and terrified by them in the wet. ? but I stand by them being hard to beat for value, more so when you get them on offer.

Agree... disagree... I’m easy either way but I stand by it. It’ll never be a tyre of choice for me either, if money weren’t an issue I’d sooner go for the likes of Michelin pilot sport for road use as I favour their dual compound bike tyres but never ran Michelin on a car or for something really sticky but budgets the controlling factor and no point throwing big money on tyres for a car that needs sorted first ??‍♀️

2003 Clio 172
That sucks and yeah it’s just a time bomb isn’t it ? I got lucky, my box cracked clutching out from the parking space at my house and I didn’t notice till about a mile down the road so was able to limp it back. If that had happened on a trip my wallet would’ve been in a much worse state... might actually get an rac membership when the finances are back flush because... Clio sport life ?

I only upgraded my AA membership to relay cover because of the Clio ?

Clio 172 ph2 / bikes
Only non XL Rainsport 3`s are available in 15 inch, so I`m not confident to recommend them for that reason.

Hmm... never looked into available sizes ??? More Clio dilemmas have led to fresh rubber time being postponed anyway. Picture to follow ? probably going to end up on the t1rs the more my budget keeps getting hit.

I only upgraded my AA membership to relay cover because of the Clio ?

Sucks doesn’t it ? genuinely going to have to get cover for when I’m further than I’m willing to push. So maybe 10 metres or so?

all these boxes dying atm....age thing aswell?
secondhand prices are rising as a result.....

I couldn’t say about age, the boxes have been failing for as long as they’ve been in the 172 by the sounds of it ? honestly I think it’s people seeing theifBay prices that’s driving up the cost. I scored both a 130 box and 182 manifold for £120 on scumtree and folk on here rushed to offer me well priced boxes too. Luck of the draw for what’s available when needed me thinks.

Clio 172 ph2 / bikes
So about a week back on the road after doing the box and an oncoming learner picks up a rock about 3x the size of a tennis ball in their wheel and pings it across the road at me... ??? sourced a headlight already but waiting for breakers to be open tomorrow to hear back about a nearside iceberg silver wing at “not eBay prices”.

I’ve put the cars downtime to good use for some housekeeping and prepped the car for the new parts. removed the carbon canister (just waiting for a one way valve for the fuel tank breather), the acoustic valve that was just sitting anyway as I’ve got the ktec induction kit on, rear wiper delete, put the front wipers back in their spigot, whipped the sound deadening off the bonnet for extra dephaser noise ? (just kidding its not bad yet, only get noise on super hot days), paintstripped the ratty old rattlecan paint off the grill, whipped the fog lights out too although there’s no weight in them but I’m going to get a velocity stack inlet off the near side fog light opening so I can run ducting up to the induction kit not that it probably needs it really. Deleted the headlight washers too, going to get some of those push fit plugs to blank them off. Yeah done a few wee things anyway.

Going to make sure the scuttle drains are clear and reseal the scuttle panel as some monkeys used masses of weird black putty previously and the clips are missing.

Think I plan on pulling the ac compressor and piping etc out and leaving the pump that’s obviously on the belt for now, the compressor is hanging loose in front of the radiator anyway and there’s no gas in it. Planned on deleting the ac when the timings getting done. Not due for about 15k and the belts less than 5yr old. Undecided which route to go with the delete though.

Attachments

• 7EE7219F-4A66-47FD-9249-8D8CCA59DFC5.jpeg
    7EE7219F-4A66-47FD-9249-8D8CCA59DFC5.jpeg
    595.2 KB · Views: 133
  Megane R26/Clio 172
Can’t believe this is my first post here. ?? hoped it would have been the (wet side) cv boot but no joy.

Two months in to owning my first hot hatch, ph2 172, 125k on the clocks. Gutted.

Limped it a mile home. Fair to say this box is dead. Anyone hazard a guess as to what the cause has been? I’m not clued up on gearboxes I’m thinking it’s been cv or bearing related based on where it is ??‍♀️

I’ve just started doing the gearbox on my clio (used to be mine years back but bought it back in May with a ruined gearbox).

I was hoping to get the box rebuild but amazingly the case has cracked on that one too but just inside the 5th gear cover

Attachments

• 583C5D3B-61D5-4210-9717-B13D178636F0.jpeg
    583C5D3B-61D5-4210-9717-B13D178636F0.jpeg
    878.9 KB · Views: 154
  dan's cast offs.
I’ve just started doing the gearbox on my clio (used to be mine years back but bought it back in May with a ruined gearbox).

I was hoping to get the box rebuild but amazingly the case has cracked on that one too but just inside the 5th gear cover

been ran low on oil, no plastic left on 5th selector fork, straight in the scrap ?

Megane R26/Clio 172
been ran low on oil, no plastic left on 5th selector fork, straight in the scrap ?

Yep, had about an egg cup full of oil in it if that.

My original plan was to get it rebuilt until I got the 5th gear cover off... have now found another box though.

I like the way it’s created it’s own inspection hole so you can see the gears you normally shouldn’t be able to see though ?

dan's cast offs.
Yep, had about an egg cup full of oil in it if that.

My original plan was to get it rebuilt until I got the 5th gear cover off... have now found another box though.

I like the way it’s created it’s own inspection hole so you can see the gears you normally shouldn’t be able to see though ?

Seen worse, had one that had busrt open like an alien had popped out of it!!!

That was down to an incompetent build though.

Clio 172 ph2 / bikes
That’s brutal Neil. I wonder how many of these boxes will be left in a few years... almost everyone I’ve spoken to has had gearbox woes with them. Shame there isn’t an easy alternative box swap.

Mines could probably do with a rebuild, getting a bit of bearing noise from it I think. Wee rotational kinda rattle on decel. Going to wait and see if it gets any worse and hope something else shows itself.

I’m reluctant to just scrap the old box, does anyone know if there’s any parts worth salvaging from it?