ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another thing :( - Engine Knocking - Dont think its the dephaser

Clio 172 PH2 Flamer
Hey all,

Kind of at my witts end here, after replacing pretty much every component on the car - yesterday my engine started knocking, from searching and doing my reading up it seems common to be the dephaser pulley, however, over 2k RPM this is meant to go away, mine doesnt.

It is almost like a bottom end knock, but from the top end, and not as severe, and it doesnt do it at some revs (although does happen all the way up the rev range)

There is no loss of power, it just sounds unsightly.

If moving and in gear and not on the throttle there is no noise, at any RPM - sat at idle every now and again it might make a slight single *knock*

Having read the forums it sounds like it could be low oil pressure, spark plugs not tightened, hydraulic lifters, even a spun main bearing - not the sparkies as have just check them.

Any ideas guys? it sound like this, but only at certain revs. (not my car this one - but sounds closest)

If moving and in gear and not on the throttle there is no noise, at any RPM - sat at idle every now and again it might make a slight single *knock*

Please help, having just got the thing handling like it should after changing all suspension, balljoints, topmounts, bearings etc etc this one hurts :(

Thanks in advance - Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
Sorry mate but that needs a proper looking at before you do any further damage. Doesnt sound like the dephaser normally does when it goes.

What checks have you made ? Take the plugs out and see what they look like. Check around the belt area.

Clio 172 PH2 Flamer
Hey guys, need about 1/2 a litre the other day which was put in? and Fred - mines not as bad as the video at all - but closest i could find - any ideas? - Its in the garage at the minute but wouldnt mind an idea of what it might be :(

Clio 172 PH2 Flamer
I was thinking it was something in the cam area, really wierd to be honest :( When i go collect the car, if they havent found the problem i will pop a video up myself of the actual sound :)

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
It's not the dephaser, it sounds like something in the cylinder head/cam area. Unless the tappets have all decided to f*ck about.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
That sounds like oil starvation to me. There's bottom end knocking and a rattly head... :dapprove:

Clio 172 PH2 Flamer
Ok then, back from the garage, 4 people have said its the bottom end - I think its a combination of the dephaser and a bottom end problem :( - video as promised - anyone wanna buy it :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Is that a whole new engine ? ^^ or can it be repaired?

Cost of repair?
S

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Might as well get a spare lump, as the crank is probably scrap now too so would require a regrind and larger shells

172, Tiguan
Sounds bottom end to me as it's exactly the same as mine when i first got it. It had spun a bearing and the oil pump was fecked. Cheapest option is secondhand engine and then sell the bits that aren't broken (top end).

Clio 172 PH2 Flamer
Thanks for the input guys but im simply not going to spend that much on it any more, its had :

Electric Window Motor, washer bottle, front dampers, springs, top mounts, bearings, track rod ends, lower arms, middle pipe and backbox (backbox x2), rear springs and dampers, aux belt and tensioners, battery, Climate contgrol sensor in the roof, New Brembo HC disks and pads at the front, Mintex disks and pads at the back, 2 x new handbrake cables, a new rear caliper, O/S headlamp complete unit including bulb and ballast etc and then the fecking thing spits the engine on me - no thanks, enough is enough!

I will miss the full 3 weeks out of the 2 years I have owned where something wasnt wrong and I could boot it down the backroads from Barnsley to Hudds and as im 32 now, decided to get something a little more sensible - Picking up a 55 Saab 9-3 Aero 210 On Tuesday.

Cheers guys, if Im breaking it ill pop it up in the classifieds - might be a while yet though as im grumpy with her.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
such a shame, but it must have been run low on oil to drop a bearing

or the oil has been s**t and clogged the pump