ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anti squeal grease when changing brake pads?

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Not a peep mate. Just hear them click when going in reverse as you apply the brakes and they move in the carriers.
Generally in my experience, if brakes squeal, they're not being used hard enough.
Or the calipers haven’t been cleaned up of brake dust crud and the sliders aren’t sliding...

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Silicon slider grease.
An the tiniest amount of Pad grease of the ears to stop the getting corroded fast and sticking. ( apec do brake grease ) clean everything up ie all matting surfaces the pad has contact with. Callipers ears , carrier , piston ect

General rule of thumb is a tiny amount of play on the pads up and down. Too tight and they squeak from getting seized in. Too loose and it’ll rattle to the point of annoying you lol.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I always leave the shims in, the pads move better with them in imo . Just give everything a good clean and make sure the pads move freely and you shouldn't have any problems.
If you have squealing that's probably due to the compound of the pad. Mintex 1144's squeal like a b**ch.

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
I always leave the shims in, the pads move better with them in imo . Just give everything a good clean and make sure the pads move freely and you shouldn't have any problems.
If you have squealing that's probably due to the compound of the pad. Mintex 1144's squeal like a b**ch.
THIS! ...but I think it still generally comes down to which pad compound that you are using, i have used Mintex 1144 pads on my Impreza years ago now and was recommended by one of their technical team to put a dab or two of Mintex Ceratec on the pad rears'i never got no squealing but cannot be to sure if the mintex ceratec had much to do with that...but it could not hurt applying some.The performance friction compound that you are thinking of using produces more noise then their Z-rated compound but not by much i'm pretty sure though that the 97 compound has been discontinued now and replaced with another Compound.SJ.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Thanks for the advice everyone.
Are you looking for pads for the track and road? If you're looking for pads for the road I can highly recommend TRW GDB1405 for the fronts and TRW GDB1305 for the rears.
I've been running these for years now after I needed some " emergency " brake pads and had to buy some from a local motor factors.
They bite well from cold , never fade when they're hot and last for ages.
I've seen other people over the years who rate them as well.

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
Are you looking for pads for the track and road? If you're looking for pads for the road I can highly recommend TRW GDB1405 for the fronts and TRW GDB1305 for the rears.
I've been running these for years now after I needed some " emergency " brake pads and had to buy some from a local motor factors.
They bite well from cold , never fade when they're hot and last for ages.
I've seen other people over the years who rate them as well.

They are a good road pad very dusty though...if you drive your car fast road hard regularly they will definitely show their limitations.SJ.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
They are a good road pad very dusty though...if you drive your car fast road hard regularly they will definitely show their limitations.SJ.
I like a good spirited drive and never had any problems. They are no more dusty than other pads I've used over the years.
The worst pads and most costly were mintex 1144's. What a waste of money they were. They were embarrassing the amount of squealing when slowing down at traffic lights.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
THIS! ...but I think it still generally comes down to which pad compound that you are using, i have used Mintex 1144 pads on my Impreza years ago now and was recommended by one of their technical team to put a dab or two of Mintex Ceratec on the pad rears'i never got no squealing but cannot be to sure if the mintex ceratec had much to do with that...but it could not hurt applying some.The performance friction compound that you are thinking of using produces more noise then their Z-rated compound but not by much i'm pretty sure though that the 97 compound has been discontinued now and replaced with another Compound.SJ.

I had ordered a set of the 05 compound, which wasn't available, but the 097 was. I'd been trying to choose between the Mintex M1144's, DS2500, brembo, pagid etc when frayz recommend these.
By the way, your username seems familiar, were you ever a member on Scoobynet?

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
I like a good spirited drive and never had any problems. They are no more dusty than other pads I've used over the years.
The worst pads and most costly were mintex 1144's. What a waste of money they were. They were embarrassing the amount of squealing when slowing down at traffic lights.
With pad choice it all comes down to use, my comment is based on use and they were OK at best on my wife's car but she does drive hard like myself and pads should only be purchased on use...my opinion is their is not 1 pad for all if you get my drift and the consumer has to purchase pads according to their cars power,driving style,and use.SJ.

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
I had ordered a set of the 05 compound, which wasn't available, but the 097 was. I'd been trying to choose between the Mintex M1144's, DS2500, brembo, pagid etc when frayz recommend these.
By the way, your username seems familiar, were you ever a member on Scoobynet?
One and the same;)(y)Performance Friction pads is what I run on my Subaru "01 compound" and I have been for quite some time now they are Superb and they have never let me down,the Mintex 1155 was also a good pad for hard driving and track work but I found out the hard way that they are very tough on disc.The Performance Friction compounds are superb and are the only pads that I use on my Subaru now.SJ.