ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any 1 Know How Many 172 Cups Made

172 /megane cab
Hi Any One Out There Know How Many 172 Cups Were Made And Fill 3 To Stick Ya Pictures On Hear Of Your Cups

172 cup TT
Did you suddenly go drunk half way through that post :)

Also, dunno how many were made... but ive got one, and its great

Remapped derv Golf
Around 2200 ish.

Wasn't it meant to be a limited run of 500 to start with.

I think Frosty had one of the first in britain and the dealer wouldn't budge on the price because it was meant to be limited run.

lol!

Nicksie

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 CUP
anyone know who got theirs first, mine was 27th September 2002.:approve:

3 MPS
here is cup number 1789

Picture.jpg

Cupkid said:
anyone know who got theirs first, mine was 27th September 2002.:approve:

20th September 2002 beat you.... oh wait that means mines older DAM IT! lol;)

Wonder who did get the first one and how you know which number yours is?

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
thats how many were made, how many are left, i reckon there wont be that much in 3 years time

MKIII 138
nique said:
Is it possible to find out the production number on a cup???

^^^ what he said !! id love to know that info.

i wouldnt think there are many left in the uk compared to say a ford focus or even a normal 172MKII due to the fact there were less numbers made, were styled towards euro tastes so wouldnt have not sold aswell (same as 172MKII) didnt have any luxuries and due to 3 years of people driving cup since their release there rapid pace coupled with average UK weather + no ABS + TC mean quite a few have been written off.

i think deffo a future classic, one of the reasons i sold my 53reg MKII 172 Iceburg for a 52reg 172Cup (although the plate says 52 but it was reg in jan 2003 ? )

mines only got 13k on the clock but thats rising rapidy with all the naff work journey i take, 52miles per day = 1000 miles per month :( have toget a job closer to home me thinks

trailerparktrev said:
182 Cups = 540 made. Nice and rare - 10 less than the total amount of Trophies made.

thats cos theyre poo.... the least desirable out of the full fat, cup and trophy.

Lee

BMW M2C
Jeremy Townsend said:
No, Lee's right

That has to be at least the second time this year:eek:

I have the answer on a post it note by my screen for occasions just like this. ;)

MKIII 138
Dansta said:
thats cos theyre poo.... the least desirable out of the full fat, cup and trophy.

actually i can see some logic in the sweeping statement. a 1090kilo 182 with climate, airbags, xenon etc.. or a 1070 182cup with hardly anthing in. i guess what you saying is that the difference between a 182 and 182cup in weight doesnt justify the loss in gadgets..hmm sort of agree but on a simular level with the 172 v cup 1110kg`s v 1020kg`s was certainly more worth while especially with that extra wide track at the rear and new geometery settings + lower etc.. maybe there shouldnt have been one unless it was as stripped as the cup but with 10 extra hp.

anyways ive noticed a majour diffo between a 172MKII and a 172cup top end accelaration is faster and stability at speed is much more solid.

172, Tiguan
Didn't get on with the 182 Cup, I thought it was too softly set up. Maybe I'm to used to mine. All my own opinion though, having driven all the variants - admittedly the 172 full fat was lhd and round the Ring.

If you want a rare version - buy mine ;)

cock mobile.
jon_r said:

Plug plug ;)

But seriously your current car is probably the least amount made 172 / 182?

How many silver cups made?

MKIII 138
sh33n said:
There's been way too many 172 Cups made; common as muck :(

could be true but a lot have been written off now seriously there seems to be one every week in winter. if you compare a 172cup in terms of sales compared with a Ford Focus ST170 , Ford Mondeo ST220, Vauxhaul Astra GSI, you miles more likely to see one of those than a 172cup, in fact in two years of owning the 172MKII i only ever saw one cup on the way to work and even now still only one cup, yet i have seen TWO separate trophy`s pass through my town and many many black 182`s Icesilver 172MKII and a fair few MKI`s now in the posestion of mr chav with his limited 3.5K budget raging around in a 2000 MKI 172 with 70k+ miles on no doubt.

the cup is quite rare in fact with 60 million people in england and 25million car drivers even 2500 cars isnt much lets not forget since 2002-2005 i would imagine 300 would have been stacked by now.

((((i actually think 172 MKI , MKII , 182 , CUP`s are rare anyway.. the MKI wasnt that popluar as people didnt really know what ot had to offer (hardly any advetisement back then for the RS) then the MKI came out so MKI`s were no longer made, then a fair few 172MKII`s have been sold but the majourity in IceSilver there the most common, if they continued to make the 182 it would be everywhere, what with topgear, 5th gear, web reviews,autocar, autoexpress, tv adverts claiming it to be the best hatch in fact i think ive started to see more 182`s than 172`s but thankfully again there cutting off production for the new model.))))

MKIII 138
..anyways to summise compare with other marques/models id still say the 172cup is rare and certainley getting rarer.

172, Tiguan
sh33n said:
Plug plug ;)

But seriously your current car is probably the least amount made 172 / 182?

How many silver cups made?

I'm not 100% sure but people keep mentioning the figure 100 odd.

cock mobile.
jon_r said:
I'm not 100% sure but people keep mentioning the figure 100 odd.

That's rare, none of this 2200 malarky!!

Meggerman; I do agree it's not as common as your ST170s and the like but I do see a few around!

Only ever saw two trophies at TRAX.

Nicksie

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 CUP
BigD said:
20th September 2002 beat you.... oh wait that means mines older DAM IT! lol;)

Wonder who did get the first one and how you know which number yours is?

paid deposit on mine on the 20th, but couldn't pick it up til 27th, my dad was being a tit!:quiet:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
jon_r said:
Didn't get on with the 182 Cup, I thought it was too softly set up. Maybe I'm to used to mine. All my own opinion though, having driven all the variants - admittedly the 172 full fat was lhd and round the Ring.

I found that when I took one out at Brands, it just felt a little soft around the edges, not as sharp. Don't know if it was the weight, its' newness or what, but I think I'd have caned it (2-3 seconds a lap) in my Cup.

Remapped derv Golf
I reckon mine was one of the last builds in the factory. Late 2003 although they were selling Cups midway though 2004.

paul g said:
future classic ? ?

very unlikely seeing as renault released the Trophy which other than initial sprint speed, it lacks by 0.? to 62mph? it's a better all round car than the Cup

sh33n said:
I do agree it's not as common as your ST170s and the like but I do see a few around!
i've seen 3 not including yours around corby sean, seems the cheapskates that live in our lovely town can now afford the finance on the cup, only other 17/182's i've seen were 1 flame red and 1 iceberg silver :eek:

172 cup
My mate tells me 172 cups are common, yet he drives a black civic type-r which is possibly the most common car i see around my area. I see a few cups around here, but see a lot more 182's. I dont think 182 cups are all that popular because they're hardly the compromise the 172 cup was. 20kg lighter than the standard 182? You'd be better off goin on a diet than buying one

MKIII 138
MKI`s are indeed rare but a few are as i mentioned creaping into chav reach but thankfully they`d rather ride around in a 215hp scoob with a dump valve and a ukd turbo.

as for the 172cup if you read the specs on the track of it 40 open rear etc its been desgined as a proper sprint car for a tight road having no ABS / ESP makes things even more exciting.. there may be faster clios out in the future but id wager in terms of driving fun that kind of illicit feeling of going so fast untamed by electronics in a shopping trolley makes it for me.

i may also add, the seats seem to go lower in my cup than the 172, the steering wheel is angled away rather than straigh up in the 172 and it seems smaller, the seats go further back, and yes pulling trim out is easy probably as renault made it for the track and new it would be stripped.
its the fastest car ive owned anyway and like i mentioned in another post, today just pratting with my ap22 on a damp country road i got 6.22 with no back seats in and no other mods !! not bad for a grp 16 car that will do 47mpg if granny driven.

MKIII 138
.. most manufactures 0-60 times cant be met in the real world, reno underestimates them to keep the insurance down, subaru sometimes overeggs them as an example me and a m8 couldnt get better than 6.1 in his 04 wrx 225 (220bhp) impreza.
also most "brisk" cars on the road in truth struggle to crack 7.5 to 60

Elise/VX220/R26
my 225 does exactly the book 0-60 of 6.5, timed at bruntingthorpe this year, wouls probably get a tenth or two off that if you could turn the piggin traction off!