ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any opinions!! MK 2 V6 Test drive..

Ive got a test drive on Monday 15th of a MK 2 V6 at Lookers in Stockport, they have one that the manager drives but he is never there at the weekend how crap is that.. Its only available in the week sir!! He lives in Stoke! So i said to the salesman i would like to try it out Monday - eer i will make sure he goes home in another car then on Monday!! Too bloody right how else do you expect to sell em if you cant test em? I have had a couple of MK 1 V6 drives - one at Bedford aerodrome. I know it will only be on public roads but hey i am sure i will be able to tell some difference The new one is supposed to be so much better.., My main interest is to compre it to my Cup.. But can anyone justify the price per pound of performance difference?? Plus where the F*k do i put the golf Clubs? Anyway looking forward to it.. any other opinions yet on the new V6 new owners who can compare to the mk1......

LY R27

You could have 2 cups and change for the price of that v6, in my opinion its not worth the money as they are better cars out thier for that sort of cash.

Not saying I wouldnt want one becasue I do, just cant justify 24-27K.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Theres no way the extra performance justifies the price difference - but thats not why people buy a Clio V6 IMO. You buy it because you love the looks and the exclusivity.

Youll either fall in love with it or you wont.

Clio v6

Search for member Rich-D thread. He had a MK2 for a loan car recently, and gave his opinion.

Sorry but i dont agree,i think the performance is quite good,ive owned the mk1 and i now have the mk2,alot better build quality than the mk1 and lot faster.Lick a cup anyway.

love the car and the looks but for 27k i think i would buy an evoV111, the salesman in Aberdeen even said to me 27k for a clio, i would buy a BMW, some salesman huh

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by broadbean on 12 December 2003

Lick a cup anyway.
For an extra £16k I should bl00dy hope so too...

But it is not actually that much quicker than a Cup and it certainly does not feel as quick as it should do, thats my point!

172 Cup, V6 255, Williams

You are buying engineering kudos here more than anything.......

If I were to spend 25k on a brand new car - it would be a mk2 V6.....nothing else comes close to matching my criteria for a toy car in that price league.......

(I continue to read topics on the mk2 V6 with interest, as there is a 1000-1 chance I might sell the Carlton for one)........

Paul

Clio v6

Just a wee quote from a friend of mine.

"My Phase II is doing great, sorry to say but so much a better car than the Phase I. I only did 6.000 kilometers since June and that includes two holiday trips, to Germany (260kph on the speedo)"

mailto:B@stard">B@stard:(

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by pmitchell on 12 December 2003

If I were to spend 25k on a brand new car - it would be a mk2 V6.....nothing else comes close to matching my criteria for a toy car in that price league.......
They cost more than that...

Remapped derv Golf

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 12 December 2003

Quote: Originally posted by broadbean on 12 December 2003

Lick a cup anyway.
For an extra £16k I should bl00dy hope so too...

But it is not actually that much quicker than a Cup and it certainly does not feel as quick as it should do, thats my point!
I agree with Rich on this one! The V6 isnt 16k faster than the 172 or the Cup. When you consider an Evo or a fast Scooby would destroy a V6 and for less money. Well used anyway.

A Mk1 in Bromley against a friends EVO2 didnt put up much of a fight. The 4WD did help out though! The Clio sounded great though!!!

Elise/VX220/R26

be ready to have a salesman sat at the side of you telling you to take it easy too, they arent gonna let you drive it to the limit are they?!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by pmitchell on 13 December 2003

I can get one inclusive of VAT for less than 25k from Renault direct.
Was going off list prices matey... I could also get one cheaper through my mate...

Saw anRX8 on the way to work today, in Red very subtle... ANYWAY...last night I took out th mk2 V6 from Lookers in Stockport... with one of the salesmen , for about half an hour, didnt get too far really well as far as you can around Stockport at 5:40pm a week from Christmas, up and down the M60 and round the back streets to Offerton ect... My opinion..very nice 911esq sound from the motor hanging out the back... nippy ... feels nice and planted, none of your Cup torque steer.. it just squats and goes.. But just too impractical, i forgot how little space there is in it... Good for pose value.. Most definatley a car to have as a fun other car if you have a bit of cash (or are single or kid-less or dont have golf clubs... Nice but not for the money over the Cup ..and its just too normal inside, apart from the trim material, and the blue trim round the transmission tunnel... but you do turn heads...nice and rare.....you lucky sods who have one!

Clio v6

Im sure it was mentioned before that the V6 isnt your typical nippy shopping trolley.

"Planted". Thats a great word to describe the V6.

Nippy white cup

Quote: Originally posted by Seedy on 16 December 2003

none of your Cup torque steer.. it just squats and goes..

Thatll be the rear wheel drive for ya! I must admit, they do look the dogs but as has been said already, they arent worth the money the cost.

Cheers

Chris

Having had a few races with both versions of the v6 clio I was pretty dissapointed with its performance.Look great and pretty rare tho.

Wouldnt of thought a 172 cup was far off a v6s perfromace???

but(not trying to start a war here) you can get brand new Evo for that price or scooby what ever floats ya boat...and probally a vast selection of other cars.

At the end of the day tho yous pay ya money.

and we all have differant tastes, just dont expect to be blow away with its straight line perfromance :)

Nissan R35 GT-R

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 13 December 2003

be ready to have a salesman sat at the side of you telling you to take it easy too, they arent gonna let you drive it to the limit are they?!
You say that, when I drove a 172 to decide if I wanted a Cup or not, the salesman siad something along the lines of, "Ok thats second, now hang-on...OK PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN...KEEP IT THERE...GO ON...GO ON...That was only 5k revs, you had another 2k to go!"

There is no way the V6 performance justifies the cost, but I dont think it tries to either. The car is all about, "LOOK AT ME!" And who wouldnt. I drove in front of a MK1 down a highstreet and people were really having a look. Then the fun began...

1-0 TO THE CLIO CUP :D

Quote: Originally posted by EvoCarl on 16 December 2003

just dont expect to be blown away with its straight line perfromance :)

..........but do expect everyone, and I mean everyone, to stop and stare!!!

f**k Evos & Scoobies, your buying style not some baked bean tin with a load of airfix add-ons!!!!!!!!

Please note this is my opinion!

and I am sure the guys driving the v6s I blew away where thinking the exact same thing hey guys ;) my car looks better than his

Last time I raced one I waved as I went past lol

I get enough stares in the Evo. lets face it, its bright yellow :)

depends what u want at the end of the day I suppose and they do make a nice sound.

this just my opinion

'18 Megane dci

Ive only seen one in the flesh drive past so far but if i had the spare cash id be back into Renault ordering one tommorrow.

Nifty looking tanks behind the seats of that V6 up there!

They scuba tanks for driver and passenger when one is plunged into a lake?

or a nice boost instead! :cool:

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by steveV6 on 16 December 2003

just dont expect to be blown away with its straight line perfromance :)

..........but do expect everyone, and I mean everyone, to stop and stare!!!
Yeah, I totally agree there mate...

The Clio V6s attract looks like no other car Ive driven!

My mates Evo VI wouldnt get a look in, but everyone looks at the V6 and I had so many people admiring the V6 the other day!

Its an attention magnet ;)

Id love a V6, and tbh personally would have one over an evo - as it just looks better. It also SOUNDS better as well. it is MUCH lower tho.

The thing is that we all defend the V6s RELATIVELY slow straight line performance in exactly the opposite way to how we often ATTACK other cars:

ie - i have stayed with a BMW 330ci and have said "bet he wishes he hadnt spent 4 times as much on a car that doesnt beat mine for speed!!!!!"

the thing is that the BMW owner probably didnt buy it for speed - in exactly the same way that V6 owners dont buy their cars simply for speed. Its about X factor - and I reckon the V6 has fook loads of it (in the same way the Integrale and the old e30 M3 had).

If it was all about speed then wed all think GTI-Rs and Evos with stuff done to them were the best cars in the world. Not me realy:sick:

Give me a V6 any day.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

As much as I love the v6, if someone had a evo 8 and a v6 and offered me one I would have to pick the evo 8, I just have a "thing" for evos.

220bhp octy VRS

give me an EVO over a V6 Clio.

With 25K I would buy an evo 6 with about 30,000 miles on it for about 16K...then I could spend the other 9K on getting over nearer 375bhp rather than the clios 255bhp.... Plus you get 4WD, a fat turbo, yaw control etc etc.....

The EVO is THE drivers car (for less than £30K)IMO . Forget being looked at by some donut on the pavement..cars like the V6, EVO, Scoobys etc are about the thrill of driving.

Anyone who wants to be stared at should walk down the highstreet naked. And thats free....

Thats funny because ive just been reading evo,and they have CAR OF THE YEAR AWARD,and the clio v6 255 came third and the evo didnt get in the top 10,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm