ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any reason to keep stud conversion over bolts?

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a stud conversion on the 200 which is starting to show it's age, certainly a good few years old now and there's a fair amount of surface corrosion taking hold.

I've been looking at replacing them, but TBH for my purposes I don't see any particular advantage in running studs over bolts.

I don't need to change wheels frequently, I'm not running spacers or spigots, is there actually any advantage over bolts unless you're swapping wheels over frequently?

Don't mind spending the money if it's worthwhile, but a set of OE bolts is a good chunk cheaper than replacing the bolts.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
plus side is they won't come loose. I fitted studs to mine after being on a 20 min session and the bolts comming loose so much as I could get them undone by hand! pretty scary stuff as they were torqued just a day before!
Done another track day this weekend and checked the studs after and they were spot on! So my opinion the only serious advantage is for keeping your wheels on!
Ok they may require more attention and probably need changing after a season or two but I really think they are worth it, and this is speaking also from my own experience

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Your bolts shouldn't be coming loose, if they are then there is an issue somewhere either that or crap bolts.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah i'd keep the studs...

Without

12573856_10153240438135986_3008563626234991551_n.jpg

With

13938118_10153718898820986_2382747349836878950_o.jpg

Obviously exaggerating but my nuts came loose at cadwell. changed to studs and happy days i'm still here

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Your bolts shouldn't be coming loose, if they are then there is an issue somewhere either that or crap bolts.
This happened to many people, with nasty aftermath on some ocassions, I doubt there were issues every time, as far as I know it's about the heating cycles that are making the bolts coming loose. For some reason (can't really explain) the stud-nut assembly is less likely to give up in the same circumstances

330i. E30 Touring.
See, i'm much more likely to trust a bolt, vs a nut and stud.

Assuming the bolt isn't into spacers.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
I had no spacers on mine, the bolts were the std renault ones so good quality. The have been fine (never came loose) untill the first track day

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Think it's the different thermal expansion of the materials. The nuts are alloy going into steel, they both get hot, both expand at different rates and cool and that loosens them as a result of that.

Where as studs and nuts they are both steel which expand at the same rate as its the same material. That's how I see it anyway.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Same. Never had an issue. Stud conversion is part of the track car look in my eyes.
The whole it's easier to change wheels thing is just an excuse, just admit you want them and that's fine but I won't be swapping to them.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Something I never got. Someone once told me it was quicker... I kinda agree but not by that much!!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I personally find it much easier mounting and changing wheels on my Fiesta with studs than I ever did on my Clios without.

Only once did I ever have a problem with wheel bolts coming undone on my 172 Cup (many many trackdays) and that was because I'd painted the wheels with a Halfords rattle can and foolishly didn't mask off the bolt seats.

No preference other than ease of wheel mounting.