ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anybody bought pre-registered

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Apart from the obvious fact that Ill be the second owner, anybody got any negative experiences of buying a pre-registered car? Planning on keeping the car (V6) for 3+ years and maybe much longer, so number of owners isnt an issue for me. Also transfer of registration document is done on day of purchase ... none of this 3 months lark.

Just how does pre-registration make cars cheaper?

Got it from Motorpoint so it was import as well. Main reason being id been mucked about so much by the brokers id originally ordered from that after 9 weeks of waiting and being lied to i decided to go there.
Ordered car on tuesday, picked it up on thursday, just wish id have gone there in the first place.
Pre-reg workes something like this, the first registered keepers, usually a dealers, are supposed to keep the car for 3 months to be able to claim it was a demo, therefore claiming the tax back IIRC.
BTW it was just under £12000 inc metallic.

A mate of mine has just brought a pre-registered Golf, from a dealership in Stratford. Hes listed as the first and only owner on the log book though.

Not sure how they do it, I expected the dealership to be listed as the first owner, so did he.

The car was definately already registered as it already had a numberplate.

Clio 182 & C5 VTX+

I bought pre-registred from Arnold Clark in Warrington. Had to wait three months for the registration to be transferred to me, but otherwise no problems. £3500 cheaper than my local Renault dealership.:)

You dont have to wait 3 months for car to be put in your name, simply call dvla, tell them you have purchased a car but have no docs, they send you out a form, send back with £18 and you will have papers in your name, put down day you got car as date of change of ownership, i just done this so it works

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent

bought pre reg cup with 5 miles on clock put deposit of a grand and worked out finance over 3 years ill paying them 9500, if i decide to give final payment too, but ill trade it in for the next rsclio in 2006, had no problems with it, was in pristine condition when i got it,

[Edited by lozza_cup on 05 December 2004 at 4:32pm]

oh yeah its cheaper coz garages have to reach sales targets for that month or term whatever it is, and the garage registers car in thier name just to meet targets and gets reimbursed by manufacturer for reaching target, theyd rather get huge bonuses for themselves aswell as selling a car and gettin another bonus on that (again) if that makes sense

Quote: Originally posted by declio on 05 December 2004
A mate of mine has just brought a pre-registered Golf, from a dealership in Stratford. Hes listed as the first and only owner on the log book though.Not sure how they do it, I expected the dealership to be listed as the first owner, so did he.The car was definately already registered as it already had a numberplate.

Im not saying your wrong, but how can it be pre-reg then your m8 is first owner??? Just goes to show what dodgy Feckers dealers can be.
As for paying DVLA for new Docs., Well all i can say is i didnt have to . Got reg docs through post about a week after i bought it.

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR

got mine pre reg and shows first owner had car for a day then me no probs at all yet dont think it will lose me much if any money if i come to sell mine

Quote: Originally posted by seren 182 on 05 December 2004

I bought pre-registred from Arnold Clark in Warrington. Had to wait three months for the registration to be transferred to me, but otherwise no problems. £3500 cheaper than my local Renault dealership.:)
picked mine yesterday :D from the same place, saved a few ££££s and got a fantastic deal on my part-ex (172 MK2).

Artic Blue with the only options u need ;) both the cup kits - and tbh it drives so much better than my 172

Quote: Originally posted by chris182 on 05 December 2004

Quote: Originally posted by declio on 05 December 2004

A mate of mine has just brought a pre-registered Golf, from a dealership in Stratford. Hes listed as the first and only owner on the log book though.

Not sure how they do it, I expected the dealership to be listed as the first owner, so did he.

The car was definately already registered as it already had a numberplate.

Im not saying your wrong, but how can it be pre-reg then your m8 is first owner??? Just goes to show what dodgy Feckers dealers can be.
As for paying DVLA for new Docs., Well all i can say is i didnt have to . Got reg docs through post about a week after i bought it.
its a loophole (with the dvla) that the dealers are exploiting to inflate their sales figures to the manufacturers.

its been going on forever and for once the consumer wins.

IMO there are zero disdadvantages to buying pre registered its still the same car the number of owners makes V little difference to value. vehicle condition mileage and service history have a far greater impact on a cars used value.

e.g the average legnth of ownership for a porsche is around 8 months. so a 3 year old 911 could of had 4/5 owners doesnt effect the value at all!