ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone 18/19 with a 2.0

Engles Mummy

Hi all,

I now have enough money combined with selling my car, to buy a 172/182. But the real problem i am facing is insurance, now i wanted to get my own and i had a 3k limit on it. But so far the cheapest one i got, dont laugh...8k lol and a few other 9k ones.

Now if i go on my dads name it brings it down to 2.5k which is very good and in my price range. But i would like my own insurance and start my no claims ect.

If anyone is 18/19 and has a 2.0 or knows a thing or two about insurance, can you give me some information please on how and what insurance company you are with.

Also if anyone has a cocky comment to make and you please keep it to yourself, thank you.

Apart from that, any helpful comments are much appreciated.

Adam

Beetle

mouth zipped ;-D

hehe. 2.5k seems a lot to be honest mate on your dads insurance, i know a valver isnt as high a group as a 172/182 but when i was on my dads insurance it was only about £450 with cis. have you triead adrian flux or elephant? they usually give good quotes for younger drivers.....

Could try Admiral as they seem to be aiming for the young / fast / modified market at the moment!

They were the cheapest by far for me. (though whether they still will be if I get convictions is another matter...)

182 and 5 GTT

If you dont have any no claims, i wouldnt bother mate. have you tried elephant? I got quoted on there at just under 2k, but im 19 with 2yrs no claims. My mate got his insurance from privilidge (sp) which was cheaper but again hes 19 with 2 years no claims.

Only tip is stick your mum as a additional driver, lowers a lil bit!!

£2500 k for 172/182 int that bad, my best quote (on my own policy) for 1.2 was £2200 when i first passed!!I dont think theres a problem with stating on ur dads till you get in 2 full-time/well paid job!

Trophy 88/500

i turned 19 a month ago insured my clio when i was 18 im payin 2200 iv got 6points aswell. i think im with nowrich union!

Clio 182 Trophy no. 235

Im 20 and have a 182, it wasnt cheap but 8/9k sounds way out.

I think Im paying roughly £1900 with Elephant with 1 years NCB, the tip about adding your parents i can confirm definatley is true and is above board as i questioned this with elephant.

Hope this helps.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)

19 with admiral gonna be paying 2134 for a 10 month policy, which after that gives you a full 1 years ncb

Mk2 Golf GTI

I dont see why people would want to pay it tbh. Weve got like 40-50 years of good driving left in us, why rush into it now?!

Anyway, cheapest i got quoted was £2400 odd with 2yr ncb. My area must have a bad rep

blimey, feel left behind at 20 in my 1.4 lol

Id personally get yourself a Mk1 1.8 16v, also try getting quotes on early Mk1 172s, the older the car the cheaper the insurance will be..

Quote: Originally posted by RN0 5EAN on 12 September 2005

i turned 19 a month ago insured my clio when i was 18 im payin 2200 iv got 6points aswell. i think im with nowrich union!
You cant have 6 points when youre 18. :confused:

admiral and elephant have been cheapest for me on my 306 and 3000GT, admiral own ele, so play them off eachother until you get a good quote.

tell them you have the use of another vehicle if possible, limit the milage, get it in a garage, cat1 alarm, no mods, 10month NCB accelerator policy is best, put your mum/ sister on the policy (if they drive).

insurance is like any other business, if they have had a bad month or havent filled quotas, prices may drop and youll get a better deal. on the other hand, if they have had a good month, they will up the prices.

try waiting until your 21 mate, it really is the only way for much cheaper insurance!

Clio 182 Trophy no. 235

Quote: Originally posted by BluePete on 12 September 2005

blimey, feel left behind at 20 in my 1.4 lol

I wouldnt to be honest mate. I think Ive made a mistake, the car has far more potential than i can exploit fully. I would have been better spending the money on learning to drive properly, I imagine someone in a 1.2 would waste me if they were a skilled driver.

On road performance isnt all about power figures, in my opinion nothing can make a bigger impact on performance than the driver of the vehicle.

Quote: Originally posted by freefly on 12 September 2005
I would imagine someone in a 1.2 could waste me if they were a skilled driver.

dont start that again!

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)

Quote: Originally posted by spirez on 12 September 2005

I dont see why people would want to pay it tbh. Weve got like 40-50 years of good driving left in us, why rush into it now?!

Anyway, cheapest i got quoted was £2400 odd with 2yr ncb. My area must have a bad rep
you only live once mate!

i could try and remember a quote along the lines of life is like a race, you only get one shot

something to words of that effect ^^^

im trying to get insurance on a 172 cup, cheapest online was 2600£ but my old man is an insurance broker and my policy runs out this month. so im hoping he will get me something sorted but hes being gay about it. Might have to wait till im a bit older but i want something sorted soon!

Clio 182 Trophy no. 235

Quote: Originally posted by 3000GT_PILOT on 12 September 2005

dont start that again!
Ive just had a look at that post, better keep my mouth closed ;), although I still retain my comment.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

uncleiven has 1 an 04 182 he just 18, pays 2k, im getting a 182 n have a guarented quote for 1.9k

Beetle

Quote: Originally posted by Daz on 12 September 2005

good point! your licence would have been revoked!

133/225/CLS AMG

It really depends what youre prepared to pay, I could afford to pay £2000 a year insurance but wouldnt out of principle.

I waited until I hit 21 when I bought my 172 and have never paid over £900 year. (Under my mums name lol).

Engles Mummy

Thanks a lot for all the replies, I really appreciate it!

I am 19 in March, so got a fair way to go. Come November I will have been driving 1 year, which I know sounds completely dodgy with me wanting a 2.0 now.

I have been driving all sorts since I was very young, go karting, quads, cars round the drive way and bangers on the field ect ect! So overall I have had many years driving experience, just not on the road...which again is obviously the most important.

I have had my car now almost 2 years, done 20k miles and I really want something with more power on the straight and better handling round corners. I love cornering and learning how to control your car. Now I want back the excitement I first had when I started driving, a good friend of mine has 172 cup, which i have been in a lot and I f*cking love it, the raw power and the nimbleness of it, it’s just the b****cks!

Getting back on subject...Even though I may not like it, I will have to go on my dads for the time being, it works out cheaper.

Thanks again for all the help & advice, will let you know how I get it!

Adam

172 phaseII

Quote: Originally posted by White16valver on 12 September 2005
Could try Admiral as they seem to be aiming for the young / fast / modified market at the moment!They were the cheapest by far for me. (though whether they still will be if I get convictions is another matter...)

this is who i am with, im 19 with 2001 172.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

i am 19 with a 2.0 hybrid mk1, adrian flux was the only company who would cover me!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Quote: Originally posted by Scott1987 on 12 September 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Daz on 12 September 2005

good point! your licence would have been revoked!
Theres a story to that...sure hes tell you if he wants to.

Im 20 and insured for 1500 with mods.

172, Tiguan

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 13 September 2005
youll all kill yourself

Yer but at least theyll all have a laugh doing it! ;) Thats how I plan to go.

Im 20, drive a 1.6 8v, gonna wait a year untill i get myself faster, still i only pay £775 for that, and a 182 isnt worth an extra £1300 a year to me!

Mk1 16v

its ok bud she is talkin nonsense! she doesnt drive let alone have a 172.

but shes right about zurich they are pretty cheap! not sure about young drivers though.

The skill in driving on the road can only come from experience on the road. Its about anticipation - learning to recognise the signs of what a driver is about to do. You have to expect the unexpected, but no matter what any young driver may think (no disrespect), they simply do not have the years and miles under their belts to know what these signs are. Instictive knowledge of how the road is unfolding ahead can only come from experience.

No, this is obviously a generisation, as there are many older experienced drivers on our roads who cant drive for sh*t, have no sense of spatial awareness, and simply cant pilot a car briskly, confifently and safely. Some people either have it or they dont, regardless of age. Overall though, most drivers road skills improve tenfold as they get older, and this is why insurance for you younger guys costs a fortune.

Hell, I pay £480 for my 182Cup and I dont like that! How some of you dudes are paying 2 large is beyond me. I simply wouldnt pay that much insurance. I best way is to cut your teeth in a far slower car that isnt as capable of punsihing you for your lack of experience. Earn your no-claims, and in a few years time youll be in a position to own that fast car.

Personally I think there should be a tier system, which limits a drivers choice of car based on his/her experience. As it stands now though - I think these insurance companies should be refusing to insure you. If they think the risk is so high, why are they allowing you to drive the cars? I guess they dont have to scrape you off the road though...

Harsh I know, but thats my opinion.