ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone else had paintwork issues

Apologies in advance for the long post, but its a long story...

Got a new Cup about 10 weeks ago. Was delivered late as I was told there was a paint defect on one of the bumpers. Was repaired prior to collection and they both look 100% fine.

Noticed the "172" badges on the passenger door were loose when I collected the car. Was told new stickers would be ordered. No bother.

Later in the week discovered a couple of minor paintwork problems on both doors. Was told they would be fixed, then had some hassle with the dealer. Booked car in elsewhere to get them sorted under warranty.

Added a private plate to the car in the meantime, and discovered rust spots, yes thats RUST SPOTS!!! under the number plate. Not happy.

Car went to alternative dealers today for warranty paint repairs and was told they couldnt fix it. Apparently the nearside rear quarter panel had been re-sprayed previously and they would not rectify someone elses work under the Renault warranty. Fair enough, but why had the panel been re-sprayed?? I knew nothing about this!! They also explained that some adjacent panels had been masked, which explains some ridges in the paint, and that the "172" badges had been removed and re-applied. So thats why they were loose...

Took car back to supplying dealer and dealt with the General Manager. He apologised (a lot!!) and said he would look into it and call me on Monday once hed established who had done the repair (was it the factory, the import centre or the dealer???)

Brought the car home and did a bit more inspection. Looks like the drivers door has also had the paint touched up in places and to cap it all off, paint is flaking off from the inside of the boot and in the engine bay!!!!!!!!!!

It looks like at the factory the paint was applied badly, or it was a bad batch of paint or something. To my mind, the whole car needs a complete re-spray to guarantee that it wont all flake off in the near future! Is this grounds to demand a replacement car from Renault? Even if the car is re-sprayed, when I come to sell it, or trade it in, anyone with a knowledge of bodywork will spot it, surely?? My re-sale value will be crap!!!

Anyone else had problems with the paintwork on their Clios recently? What was the problem, and did you get it sorted OK?

Cheers for any advice/opions etc.

BikeMan

Golf 1.4 TSI

ask for a full respray or a new cup, maybe you could get it done a different colour and have an original cup. personally id want a new one

I had problems with a cracked rear spoiler and a crack on the front bumper. Both parts were replaced and painted. Also got them to do my bonnet for all the has and inconv. Fantastic job. Very well done. Cant fault it abd cant really notice the new paint. And thats coming from someone who used to show motors.

Mac

Had this with my Cup, had to go to second dealer but sold it before eveything was sorted.

== Park Wharf

Nottingham

=

24th May 2003

Philippe Talou-Derible

Managing Director of Renault UK

Renault UK Limited

The Rivers Office Park

Denham Way

Maple Cross

Rickmansworth

Hertfordshire

WD3 9YS

Dear Sir

THE SALE AND SUPPLY OF GOODS TO CONSUMERS REGULATIONS 2002

RENAULT CLIO 172 CUP 2.0 16v REGISTRATION :FL03 ***

I write following my recent correspondence and numerous phone calls to Ilkeston Co-op Motor Group Renault and Renault UK Ltd regarding the above vehicle.

I now reject the above mentioned car and ask for a replacement. I make this request as I have suffered significant inconvenience in my attempts to get the car up to the standard I would have expected it to be under the contractual agreement made when I originally ordered the car. The car does not correspond with the public statements made about it. Just to clarify this point I enclose a copy of a letter from Bruno Vanel, Marketing Director Renault UK Ltd which makes a number of significant statements:-

“Thank you for ordering a new Renault Cup 172 2.0 16v. There have been remarkable changes at our company in recent months – not least in the way we manufacture and distribute our vehicles, so that you can get exactly the car you want, with a minimum of fuss and delay.

“our new, state-of-the art production process is unique in the automotive industry. It means that every Renault is now built to order, so we can offer our customers an unrivalled choice of specification within the available product range – rather than asking you to compromise your preferred choice of vehicle for whatever happens to be in stock – and monitor build quality with exceptional rigour.”

The cars defects are listed below all of which are still out standing even though the car was returned to you on the on Monday 19th May 2003 for 9 hours.

These outstanding defects being: -

1) Car pulling to the left.

2) No 172Cup badges on door pillars.

3) Defective external temperature gauge.

4) Defective paint to the rear passenger side quarter panel.

5) Squeaking passenger seat.

6) Incorrectly fitting front splitter.

7) Badly fitting passenger side wing.

Rectifying these defects will cause me considerable inconvenience and result in me owning a car which does not conform to the purchasing contract. I therefore require you to recognise my right to reject the car and provided me with a replacement. I require you to do this at no inconvenience to myself.

I look forward to hearing your written response in the next seven days.

Yours faithfully

Alastair ******

CC Myron Nykolyszyn- Dealer Principle Ilkeston Co-op Motor Group Renault

Anna Queripel – Customer Relations Manager
Bruno Vanel- Director of Marketing Renault UK

GUESS WHAT DIDNT GET A REPLY. NOW HAPPY IN LOVE WITH A FOCUS RS WHICH HAD NONE OF THE ABOVE PROBLEMS!

Cup172 couldnt help but notice you bought your cup from notts, where abouts are you from mate? ive seen a ford focus rs around Ilson, is that your?

just tell me to fuq off if you think im being to nosey ;)

I have bad paint probs on my 172. Looks like a laqure (sp) problem - paint finish is very rough in a few places. mainly both side skirts, a patch on the roof, rear panel on N/S, and F/S rear panel below trim. Also, on passanger door, and F/S wing, there is like a large bit of substance (sorta fly like!) embedded in the paint.

I have the car booked into reno on monday to have sorted. not good.

Ill let you know how things go, and if it gets sorted first time.

Quote: Originally posted by TheRonin_172 on 11 September 2003

Cup172 couldnt help but notice you bought your cup from notts, where abouts are you from mate? ive seen a ford focus rs around Ilson, is that your?

just tell me to fuq off if you think im being to nosey ;)
Got my Cup in notts but I live in Sheffiled. Now Fuk off.;)