ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone got AST coilovers?

Mk2 172
if you want to put it that way then yeah, but i'm not the only person "in the game" to think it

i think i agree with sideways danny tho as im sure you do. Rears need to go even harder. Why u think fronts are too soft? dont think im being funny im just curious thats all :)

Lionel Richie
i think the rears are perfect! they're on par with the cup racer rears

have you ever driven a cup racer (172/182 type)? if you haven't do it! and you'll see what i'm banging on about

soft front, hard rear - perfect (granted they're a bit different due to the slicks)

i just wish they were softer "out of the box" on the fronts and they would be the best suspension end of

turn in the car feels like it wants to push wide and trying to get on the power early is impossible with them i found, likewise i REALLY had to chuck it about hard to get it to misbehave which is very odd for a FWD clio, "normally" on all clios a quick heave ho and the back will step and its controllable

Mk2 172

have you ever driven a cup racer (172/182 type)? if you haven't do it! and you'll see what i'm banging on about

soft front, hard rear - perfect (granted they're a bit different due to the slicks)

i just wish they were softer "out of the box" on the fronts and they would be the best suspension end of

i can see what u mean. I understand the soft front hard rear system.
I think the problem i have is that if they are any softer then the wheel will rub the arch.
Ive removed everything in the including bumper mounts and all liners etc cos i cant stand the arches scrubbin.
Im ok on my own but with a passenger it used to rub a little bit. Not sure now tho as ive only just done all this.
I previously modified the bumper bracket but now ive completely got rid of it.
I find it actually touches the body of the car itself instead of bits sticking out lol.
Only way forward is to raise the car a tad. its not that low tho really (i dont think)

Mk2 172

turn in the car feels like it wants to push wide and trying to get on the power early is impossible with them i found, likewise i REALLY had to chuck it about hard to get it to misbehave which is very odd for a FWD clio, "normally" on all clios a quick heave ho and the back will step and its controllable

Would you say go to 450 rear and 400 front then instead of other way round??

Lionel Richie
i can't remember what they are out of the box fella

they still got the 2 setups road and track? what are the poundages of the 2 setups?

Mk2 172
i can't remember what they are out of the box fella

they still got the 2 setups road and track? what are the poundages of the 2 setups?

mine are 450 front 400lb rear. 250 rear and 280 front setup was good on road but way too soft for me on track.

Lionel Richie
i assume Power Station are revalving them to suit with a spring swap?

i'll dig out my old test folder, from memory we tried some longer springs compressed on, but they were softer springs, which strangely worked very well - if that makes any sense!

Turbo Beige

That sounds more like a smaller, or no arb would be a better setup than softening the spring rates.

I know of several people in Hillclimbing and Sprinting that don't run a front bar for the same reason, they then runner higher spring rated to maintain there wheel rates.

Could be worth trying.

I would also say that when i had my 182 on track with H&R's i thought they where far to soft, main issue was the spring rates felt too low. On the road they where fine.

Lionel Richie
the back end on the H&R's is a bit on the soft side i agree, but its a good all rounder fixed damping setup

my ideal setup would be H&R fronts with AST hard rears

will speak to curtis and see what poundage he uses. i know the spring rates on the fronts of the cup racers for the 197, although not the rears. suppose it all depends on how stripped the car is and many other factors.