ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone here clue'd up on OFCOM? Problems with AOL

Clio DCi 65
I'm having a lot of problems with AOL at the moment.

I recently took out a Broadband package with them and their customer service is absolutely atrocious. I called them numerous times last week and upon asking to speak to someone more senior I was hung up on 5 times before eventually getting through to a supervisor.

I've got all the information they have issued me in my folder as I do with all my documentation.

"Thank you for choosing AOL BB... You've chosen great package.. £4.99 for 3 months, £9.99 thereafter. Download speed, 10Gb usage"

I also have the document for the phone connection side of thing that came with my connection. (We don't use telephone, only use mobiles)

I have spoken to them on 22-11-2009 and was advised by one of their team that my package included 3 months free for the first 3 months, different to what my documentation stated that I have recieved so I noted the time of call, who i spoke to etc.

I called them up again tonight to confirm when the first DD payment will be taken as per the above information, only to be informed they'l be taking the £4.99 monthly fee AND a £29.99 connection fee. I have not recieved any documentation regarding this connection fee and wouldn't of bothered going with them if I knew I would have to pay it.

I was advised by their team that there is no way that this could be wavered from my account and was told that the only way I could get this removed would be to take out a 18 month contract with them - FCUK That.

Basically, I'm a bit p**sed off for all the different information I've been given from them. I've got an extra £30 coming out my account this month. (OK it's only £30, but it's not something I've budgeted around and it's now more principle than anything due to their s**te customer service)

I'm putting a complaint to them in writing and also considering contacting OFCOM. I currently work with Southern Electric and Gas/Elec companies are under constant pressure from OFGEM (Since Energywatch closed down) and they just didn't seem to give a s**t.

What action would of OFCOM take on this matter? As soon as someone mentions OFGEM to me on the phone I have to fulfill all their wishes as a letter of complaint will cost the company £350 so their happy to palm off a £20 goodwill payment to calm the customer down!

I just want my £29.99 wavered from my account - What is the best plan of action for me to get this resolved and I'm not taking out an 18 month contract with them.. Serious replies please from people in the know!

Da

Less
I was with AOL for years, admittedly their customer care was beyond belief but thankfully I had very few problems.

Can't really help on the OFCOM issues but from my experience with OTELO they probably wont do a great deal at this stage.

Not got a car
AOL wont know what OFCOM is, dont think they have it in pakistan

Im with AOL atm but i want to change with someone cheaper but its just hard work talking to them.

Da

Less
AOL wont know what OFCOM is, dont think they have it in pakistan

Im with AOL atm but i want to change with someone cheaper but its just hard work talking to them.

AOL are part of The Carphone Warehouse, it's the call centres that are based in Pakistan.

Clio DCi 65
s**t s**t s**t.

I am contacting you in regards to my recent letter I issued to you on the 30th November which I have still not had any confirmation that you’ve received it, or started to take any action upon.
The customer service that I have been receiving from your company is completely atrocious. I originally had problems receiving the router from your company and every time I called and asked to speak to a supervisor I would be disconnected, about 5 times I was hung up on if my memory serves me correctly. Eventually I managed to get through to one of your supervisors “Damian Barry” who advised me that he would issue me a further router due to the inconvenience. I requested to have this issued to me via a quicker delivery service and I offered to cover the costs, I was rejected this due to the poor communication skills between your departments. Eventually I received my router and managed to get the internet all connected and I’m yet to have a problem with the Broadband side of things as of yet. I also received a call back from Damian as requested Friday evening which I was very grateful for and would appreciate if you could pass on compliment.
I spoke to “Ali” on the 22-11-2009 at 17:16 and was advised that my package would be free for the first 3 months and then £9.99 thereafter. I called up today confirming when the first DD payment was going to be taken from my bank account only to be advised that I would also be paying a £29.99 connection fee. I have received no documentation from you regarding this and it has never been mentioned in any of the contact I’ve recently had from yourselves.
I would like to have this charge wavered from my account as I feel that your company’s customer service is totally unacceptable. Your documentation to me states “You’ve chosen a great package”, personally, I believe that I’ve been given a “s**t package”.
I look forward to your reply in regards to my matter and also a paragraph explaining why I shouldn’t report this to OFCOM. This is by far the worst customer service experience I’ve ever received from any company and I’m more concerned for customer’s who are in a less fortunate financial state than myself who are unable to cover these excess amounts you are taking from us.

'52 clio 1.2 16V
If possible i'd use it to try and bin AOL completely if you're able to get internet from anywhere else. o2 for instance? You can easily blast through 10GB in a couple of weeks with moderate iplayer usage.

Clio DCi 65
The internet is only really used for Facebook emails etc.

We don't use iPlayer etc as we use the Sky+ to record stuff and just watch it through the TV.

I think i'm going to switch over to Sky, it's just the hassle of switching TBH. Having no internet really annoys me, i like being able to arrange things online and manage my online banking!

Chav Rocket
are you outside of the grace period? can you leave? aol are terrible.

if you do switch prepare to be bent over - they fcuk around leaving a marker on your line so no one else can send bb down your line then when another provider says "sorry sir we cant activate your service as there is a AOL marker on the line" and you call AOL they deny all knowledge of the marker being on the line. i have had this many times while helping people out - in the end its a combination of bullying them till they admit it or contacting BT openreach who can remove the marker.

was a while now but i think thats still accurate!

and lol at no ofcom in pakistan comment - stupid racist comment that.

Last edited:
  Revels Mum & Sister
Not really OFCOM covers the UK.... So I suspect a lot of call centre staff have no idea who Ofcom are.

Tesla MP3 2021
As above, Ofcom probably won’t be able to do much. Take your case to the governing body - Otelo.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Phone your bank, explain the situation, say they are charging you more than agree'd, as this is effectively theft, the bank will sort it for you, Lloyds did for me with a credit check company :)