ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone know any good driving routes Shropshire / Mid Wales

Clio 172 Cup
Hi everyone

I have a rare day off tomoz and weather looks decent so considering taking the cup out for a good run we haven’t drove her properly since having all the work done.

anyone recommend some decent driving roads through Shropshire / welsh border?

I am in Wolverhampton but not far from Shropshire welsh border

thanks

mark

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe head over to and around lake Vyrnwy. Not sure about any decent routes there but the scenery is good. There's probably been a few trips around there on here.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Hi everyone

I have a rare day off tomoz and weather looks decent so considering taking the cup out for a good run we haven’t drove her properly since having all the work done.

anyone recommend some decent driving roads through Shropshire / welsh border?

I am in Wolverhampton but not far from Shropshire welsh border

thanks

mark

I could show you some great roads around me (Kington, Herefordshire) but I'm working😫 anywhere from me out towards Brecon, Builth or Rhayader are good. In fact go to Rhadader Dams!

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I'd go further out and have a bit of a road trip to Welsh coast.

I used to love the drive round the mountains on the way to Aberystwyth

2 hours or so to get there, have a mooch and coffee and have a drive back.

The roads round by us are decent but they aren't decent stretches.
Bridgnorth Road?
Or head towards

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks for the reply lads providing the weather is decent I will head out towards Ludlow and see where it takes me ! I would head out further but have to get back for the school run will head out nice and early. Thanks for taking the time to reply lads

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
When I drove around Wales last year I thought all the roads were amazing compared to the shite in east anglia.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Just looking the dams don’t look too far out from Ludlow so if I make good time will shoot over and get some pics ect 👍
Heading from Ludlow to Kington is a good road too but a bit potholey so be careful especially the Rhyse lane, drop off loads of 172 goodies as you pass my house😉

Swift Sport
15876433948_ee4a7b7ba3_o.jpg

I love Wales. I'd join you but I get a bit carried away lol.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
See how the weather is in the morning my mrs said you won’t go Mark as u spent hours on ur car Sunday it will get dirty 😂 lol she has a point I have issues
There are positives to having a scruffy one like mine

Clio 182
Some of my all time favourite drives have been on the A44 coming out of Leominster, and then take the A4112, leading on to the A438 towards Brecon Beacons. Nice quick road with good corners and overtaking space. Even my shed of a Mk4 Astra was a hoot on that road.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
If it was me I’d head past Shrewsbury off left to Knockin then follow that road all the way to Penybontfawr, on to Bala and beyond, turn right and all the way to Ffestiniog - simply unbelievable road in places.

From there it depends how long you want to be out - you could wind your way to Rhyd then Bedgellert, up to Caernarfon back to Llanberis then BetwsyCoed.

via the A5 on the way back there are option for the Evo triangle (speed cameras) and Nant-y-Garth and Horseshoe Passes taking you into Llangollen.

Alternatively aim for Aberystwyth and detour around the elan valley.

whatever you decide to do just get out there, get off the trunk roads and enjoy it!! 👍👍

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
What @Tim. said, that's a nice tour from where you are Mark! Shame I'm in work, could've met up for a coffee in Betws!

Clio 182 cup
+1 Some absolutely cracking roads up there, went out nearly every week in evenings during the summer last year.
I work up rudyard way so I get to drive them every morning, some lovely little places to visit too