ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone know anything about thermostat housings?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Basically i have got a 1.2 16v...

It is leeking coolent out of the plastic bottle at the back of the engine/underthe window wipers (i think its engine anti freeze)....

Iv been told that it leaks out of the thermostat housing...

so,

• where is the thermostat housing?
  • how can i tell if its leaking?
  • how much am i looking at to fix it?
As a tempory soloution iv put water in the bottle so its not bone dry (It was) and im just off to buy some soloution to mix with it now...

HELP :D

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
do i need to get under the car to see it? Would i be able to use a metal tie wrap (forgot the proper name for them) in replacement for an O ring?

200bhp 172 cup
its a simple fix tbh mate do you have a haynes manual? if it is coming from the thermostat housing then you can buy a new gasket cheap enuf from renault

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
i reckon id fix it myself if i knew where it was! no not got a manuel. fred can you be abit more specific :D

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
the top of my engine or undereneith lol?

i honestly have no idea where it is :(

here is a pic of the top

DSC00441.gif

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Underneath the air filter, where all the water pipes join up.

right so if i take the shitty K&N filter offf i should be able to see it?

could you give a vauge discription of what it looks like?

is it accessable from the top of the engine?

Evo 6, E92 320d
It happened on my 1.2, basically the o ring had split and the casing slightly cracked inside, 50p for a new o ring and it was fine.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
It happened on my 1.2, basically the o ring had split and the casing slightly cracked inside, 50p for a new o ring and it was fine.
well my coolent bottle emptys its self fully every night.... can i just use a cabletie in replace of an o ring? if not where do i buy o rings from?

sorry for all the Q's dude i just done know anything about engines

M235i / 172
Are you sure its coming from there? Have you seen it dripping, thats a lot of liquid to lose over night. Also i duno where your getting this cable tie malarkie from. IF it is the housing leaking... and its not because its cracked it will be an O ring, or a gasket that seals it.. and that is what you would have to replace. O rings from any local car shop.. gaskets... well if you cant buy one a direct fit, again a car shop will sell you some .5 gasket material to make one out off.

EDIT: Also if its losing all that water every night and your just topping it up.. You should be carefull driving it around a lot, the coolant system may get air locked and cause your engine to over heat. Just keep an eye on it.

Last edited:

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Are you sure its coming from there? Have you seen it dripping, thats a lot of liquid to lose over night. Also i duno where your getting this cable tie malarkie from. IF it is the housing leaking... and its not because its cracked it will be an O ring, or a gasket that seals it.. and that is what you would have to replace. O rings from any local car shop.. gaskets... well if you cant buy one a direct fit, again a car shop will sell you some .5 gasket material to make one out off.
i thought an O ring was wht held pipes onto stuff...

Like i said, im not a mechanic. so is an O ring a gasket lol?..

yeh im pretty sure it is that as i had the car in for a service and he said its leeking from there but not serious but its obv got worse now!

What do i need to ask for then dude to kinda refurb it (ie replace everything?) if i ask for an O ring and a .5 gasket will the car place know what im on about

M235i / 172
The pipes are just held on by clips that you crimp together to remove.. i doubt very much its one of them leaking or they would have just done it there and then during the service.
Sounds like the housings cracked and/or the seal has gone.

An O ring and a gasket do the same job in this case, and it will have one or the other. An O ring is a small rubber seal in an O shape funnly enough lol, and will sit either upto a shoulder or in a groove etc. Gasket is just like a template made from gasket material which will cover all the sealing surface.
If your not sure if its the seal or the housing gone then just replace the housing... It should come with the correct seal.
If its just the seal take the housing off and take it to the car shop along with the old seal, they will sort you from there.

Hope that helps.

M235i / 172
BTW, Fred or someone like him will probs know if its an O ring or a gasket that seals it as im sure they have had one off before. Might be worth PM'ing someone.

Skoda Fabia vRS
its neither an o ring or a gasket, its a rubber seal which is an odd shape, go to Renault and buy a new housing, they are cheap, come with a new seal and thermostat, so if its leaking from the seal, or cracked, you will have covered both those issues by fitting a new housing

IIRC the part number ends in 882 but i may be wrong i havent sold any for a few months

Last edited:

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
its neither an o ring or a gasket, its a rubber seal which is an odd shape, go to Renault and buy a new housing, they are cheap, come with a new seal and thermostat, so if its leaking from the seal, or cracked, you will have covered both those issues by fitting a new housing

IIRC the part number ends in 882 but i may be wrong i havent sold any for a few months
would you mind digging it out for me brun?

or would it be just as easy for me to go into renault and just ask for a thermostat housing?