ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone know if biue LED side lights are legal?

Clio Sport 172 Cup
I've just been dirverted by a Police man as there was an acident and the road was closed. He turned everyone around, exept me, he had to pull me to 1 side didn't he and let everyone wait while they all were shaking there heads as I turned around for them to see that I have bright blue LED's for side lights.

He says that these are not legal, does anyone know for sure that this is correct? I thought that blue headlights are illegal not sidelights.

I must say mind that this is the only time in my life that the Police has not done me for something and I have just getting away with a warning (saying that the last time I was doing 97 on the A1:eek:)

Does anyone know where you can get a list of things that are legal and illegal at all?

Thanks in advance.

Da

Less
illegal as they come, front facing lights have to be white, rear facing ones red. Thems the rules mate.

Leon Cupra 300
i got these philips ultra blue sidelights in and they just look clear white, as can see in my avatar... where can you get white led ones? and are they actually LED's?

BMW M135i
Alan said:
White LED's next to the xenons lamps look spot on!!
Indeed, best £7 i'd spent in ages. Pretty sure there still illegal though, says not for road use on the ones I bought.

philmots said:
i got these philips ultra blue sidelights in and they just look clear white, as can see in my avatar... where can you get white led ones? and are they actually LED's?
Got mine from halfrauds were £7. Yep there basically LEDs with a resistor built in and are made to fit the sidelight holder.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Obligatory front position lamps (side lamps)[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]lamps required by regulations to be fitted to a vehicle to indicate its presence and width when viewed from the front.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They must show a steady white light to the front, or a yellow light, if incorporated in a headlamp which emits yellow light.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The light must be visible from a reasonable distance.[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
  Leon Cupra 300
so what ive got are not the same as what you've got? wonder if they give much difference? produce more light etc

Da

Less
bmh.01 said:
Hmm, white ones are legal going off that then.
white ones shouldn't be legal either as they are too bright and give the incorrect light spread to be used in sidelights. LED's are too 'direct'. Even the red ones to be used in the tailgate are illegal because the clusters/reflectors simply aren't designed for LED's. Only LED specific headlamps/rear clusters (as fitted to some beemers and 307cc) would be road legal.

BMW M135i
Oh well, as I thought then. The leds actually are dimmer than the normal sidelight bulbs they've replaced, i've had them on a while now and have been past plenty of coppers and i've been ok so far so they'll be staying for the time being.

Da

Less
it's all relevant to where you live etc. Mine have never been pulled by either the police or the MOT tester even tho both people pulled me on a dodgy number plate, which read DAZ24 27 instead of DAZ 2427. All in full legal font/size, just 1 space out. :S
anyhow, mine are 'white' but appear kinda purpley...

front2.jpg

BMW M135i
Yeh mine are a white/blue/purple sort of colour.
Did your car pass the MOT with the xenons on ? Although you've got headlight washers haven't you ?

Da

Less
hasn't been MOT'd since I added them mate, but i'm 99% certain it will pass cos as you say I have the washers fitted, even tho they're not a legal requirement for non-factory xenons.

BMW M135i
Haven't got them on mine and don't plan fitting them anytime soon either. It just makes me wonder as although there not factory fit xenons they are at the factory xenons, makes me wonder if the tester will think there standard fit and fail it :(.

Monaco Blue 172
didnt know that. just as well i didnt persevere with fitting the free ones i got with my flat wipers! lol

Leon Cupra 300
i got some blue ones with my flat wipers i just binned the things.. i got some free sidelight bulbs when ordered my silvervisions and use them.. they great