ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone notice a difference with V Power ?

I have been filling my car (172FF) up with V Power lately even though its at a silly price (£1.06 a litre) :(

And i can't say i have noticed any difference in performance etc over the standard unleaded. :S

So is it a con or is my car not modified enough to gain anything from it ?

My car has a decatted stainless exhaust system and Air filter with an uprated air feed.

Has anyone noticed a difference using it ?

I've noticed I get 20 miles more out of £20 from Tesco petrol... have done the last two times so started alternating and wont be using V-Power again, it's more expensive and total placebo effect.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It does clean your engine, thats why I use it. Car feels perkier to me, but everyone has an opinion on this. All the tests I've read show small, but measurable improvments in acceleration.

Clio Cup/GSXR 600
Tests show defo power increases in turbo cars (not much tho) feck all on N/A's. But as said it burns more efficiently and cleaner. Not to mention the ecu has been set upto run on 98RON fuel i know it will run on 95 but when theres a sticker in there sayin recommended 98RON thats what it gets. Buy a performance car be prepared to pay to run it. Ive always ran my cup on v-power/optimax so cant commenton how it feels. However i did back to back tests in my old motorbike (zxr 400) and it made the engine run alot smoother on tickover and throughout the rev range but again didn't notice any other performance increase?

P

phill172

Really notice a difference in mine, it idles dead smooth...theres not increase in power, well doesnt feel like it! It just makes the drive so so much smoother....and like Jesus said, i get about and extra 25mpg out of mine..although not running bodies!

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
I got 250 miles to a full tank. £47. That about 18p per mile? I didnt notice a difference compared to normal stuff either. Ill continue to use vpower though, mainly because im a sucker to advertising.

172 Race Car
1.09 round here.

Why is there never a thread complaining/questioning the use of good quality/expensive engine oil?

superbenji88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i
i like tesco super unleaded 99 oct, it gives more MPG
im just not happy with Mr Brown for putting more tax on fuel and the people causing problems in the far east, all this is putting the costs up :mad:

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
i like tesco super unleaded 99 oct, it gives more MPG
im just not happy with Mr Brown for putting more tax on fuel and the people causing problems in the far east, all this is putting the costs up :mad:

I find my mpg drops when running Tesco 99 ron.

I find my car runs best on BP ultimate, shame it's so bloody expensive.:dapprove:

172 ph2
they was testing it in a mag at work a few month ago they said 103 ron,only works if the ECU has been set up to run it thow.

yeah def makes a difference, idles slightly better, slightly more responsive, and as someone else said earlier if you run it on noramal for a while it doesnt run so nice when its cold, its even cut out on me at fisrt round about in morning when put foot on cluch when braking, then put v power in and runs alot better on cold starts. i think the bp higher octanethe best but yeah the v power is also good. i dont think much of the tesco 99 personly.

LY V6 with Recaros
I've always used v-power although I was caught short last week and had to put bp ultimate in, and I've found it seems to run better on it. Will see how it goes...

i think the bp higher octanethe best but yeah the v power is also good. i dont think much of the tesco 99 personly.

that's the conclusion i've arrived at too - although i preferred Optimax to V-Power for some reason.
BP Ultimate definitely seems the strongest of the three - just a shame it's expensive and difficult to find (round these parts anyway).

Clio 172 CUP
Lets face it, i wouldn't have bought the car if i couldn't afford to run it!
The thing that winds me up is that the reason its so high is just the government bein so greedy as most of it is tax, plus where i live its the nearest higher octane fuel supplier got to drive 26 mile to get v-power. Crap.

BMW M3
Great for performance cars - i.e supercars but your wasiting your time sticking it in your clio on a regular basis.

If you want to clean your engine out now and then there are other more effective methods but if you want to get conned keep paying the extra...

M2 Competition
The difference in mpg offsets the difference in price.

The fact that you get better performance is a bonus.

BMW M135i
V-Power to 95 yes I can tell the difference, V-Power to Sainsburys 98 (what i've been using recently) I can't tell any difference at all same in every way.

Ph1
Great for performance cars - i.e supercars but your wasiting your time sticking it in your clio on a regular basis.

If you want to clean your engine out now and then there are other more effective methods but if you want to get conned keep paying the extra...

Sure trading standards would be on the case to Shell if it was all a big con and there as no difference (terms of component make up) between 95 and 98 ron grade fuels

Can you answer then why Renault specify on the fuel cap to use 98 ron??

LY V6 with Recaros
What ron is bp ultimate? Is it any better/worse for the clio than v-power? I don't really want to start using it if it's not meant to be used in it..

Iceberg 172
I've always used v-power although I was caught short last week and had to put bp ultimate in, and I've found it seems to run better on it. Will see how it goes...

Just put BP Ultimate in mine for the first time today so will see how it goes, but recognise that it might take a couple of tanks to notice the difference.

Cost me about 111p a litre too! :S

Renault Sport Clio 172
i have used v power for 7 months so much so that i now a v power card holder. however last night i had to drive my sister around for 5 hours and i could not find a shell garage and i was nearly out with 75miles left in the tank so i used tesco unleaded fuel went to start it and it was so lumpy it chucked around for about 30 secs befor it ran smooth. not as quick to pick up for sure.

Titanium 182
I use standard shell petrol, Tried v power once but didnt notice anything different acceleration wise anyway. DIdnt check MPG.

Cheap and cheerfull =D

//James

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
It specifies 98 ron with the sticker on the fuel cap. If the manufacturer states it then a good reason is behind it.

Always used V-power. Don't trust Tesco in terms of petrol additives. Although I'm not keen on V-Power's price the engine requires a higher octane, so must have it.

Mk1 Eunos Roadster
My 182 is still with the dealer - I haggled in a few bits of work into the deal. I was hoping this thread would help me choose what to put in it, but all I can really get from it is that the car SHOULD have higher octane fuel, so that's what I'll use. But it doesn't seem that there's any solid proof any which way. Maybe I'll use BP ultimate or something for a while, then get half a tank of 95 ron fuel and see if it makes a difference. Easiest way, I reckon.

Ph1
If octane level's make no difference according to some then why do folk involved in motorsport activities use octane boosters?, use high octance racing fuel, aircraft fuel etc etc ?