ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone on here use a flash?

Fiat Panda 100hp
I went to my girlfriends graduation today, and really enjoyed it. I sat right behind the official photographer - he was using a pro canon body, with something that looked like a 70-200 2.8 lens, for flash he was using something that looked like a light on a stand, but this acted as the flash. He was taking some really nice shots, and every time they graduate posed for a photo I would sneak a shot in straight after he had. (I'll post some later)

The D40 let me down a lot, shooting at 1600 ISO is not good, so thinking of getting myself a SB600, a nice flash in low light situation like today would be nice, instead of buying a £500 body for a little better ISO performance. Anyone use a SB 400/600/800? How are they?

From the title I thought you meant the program, as in Macromedia.. Added an 'a' for you ;)

Nope, its something ive considered but I want more glass first I think..

Rally bus
I use a SB600 and 800 both on and off the camera. You can stick a wireless transmitter on the hotshoe to trigger them which is what the photographer at the graduation will've been doing. I expect he was using a studio flash rather than a SB600/800 type flash?

Fiat Panda 100hp
I use a SB600 and 800 both on and off the camera. You can stick a wireless transmitter on the hotshoe to trigger them which is what the photographer at the graduation will've been doing. I expect he was using a studio flash rather than a SB600/800 type flash?

Yeah, was a studio flash, looked more like a bulb. Sure filled a massive room though. He was using a trigger in the hotshoe.

If I used a SB 600, could I get a trigger and use it wirelessly?

/\ it's no longer £150, more like £200. Unless I can get a good deal 2nd hand.

Rally bus
If I used a SB 600, could I get a trigger and use it wirelessly?

Yes, just get a wireless transmitter/receiver. Plenty of HK shops sell them for around £10-£15.

On some Nikon's you can use the pop-up flash to trigger off-camera flash but I don't think the D40 has that facility? Check your menu to see if there is a Commander mode for the pop-up flash to make sure though.

What you can't do with a SB600 is use it as a master flash to trigger other flashguns - you can with a SB800.

Works...kind of...
I want a California Sunbounce! :D

I use flash for fill. But I wont use it unless it's required.

One of the benifits of having a semi-pro body I s'pose, excellent ISO handling.

Abarth 500 Essesse
completely off topic but, ben that lense they're saying it'll be at least 2 weeks and they've been on order a while!!

just buy the flash you know you wil in the end ;)

Fiat Panda 100hp
completely off topic but, ben that lense they're saying it'll be at least 2 weeks and they've been on order a while!!

just buy the flash you know you wil in the end ;)

That's what they said to me when I bought me lens. It wont be long, trust me.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i love using flash, its cool in dark situations, i now have 2 sb800's and a sb900... i hardly and i mean hardly use the 800's the 900 is that good, the 800's are used purely as slaves...

i have a photoshoot tomorrow for bansai magazine at an airfield will be taking the 900 and 1 800, im shooting in a hanger or half in and out, im not sure on the lighting untill i get there so might just use the 900 if not will use the 800 for some fill fired off the 900...

use on board flash, 430ex, studio flash in the studio and studio flash on cars out doors. all depends on the effect I want to achive

A silver Honda
I use a sb-400 - only a few on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=sb-400&w=23051574%40N07

Nice compact little unit, but thinking of selling as I want a sb-600!!!

SB-400 is nice and cheap - lets you get in to flash photography on a budget and you can upgrade later if you think you want too!!
Can you use the SB-400 wirelessly (is that a word lol) with a remote on a tripod?

I wanna try doing some creative lighting shots in the dark but think a light unit would be step too far at the moment.