ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone used MS SyncToy for backing up folders?

Mk2 Golf GTI
I want an application that can sync all my music from my main external drive to my backup external drive whenever i decide to plug it in.

At the moment i've been copy/pasting the music folder over to make sure everything's in there but am after a better solution that will do it automatically.

Any other suggestions?

I want a sync tool that will change the backup drive if i add/remove files from my main one.

Not tried SyncToy i normally just use xcopy

Just start Notepad put in xcopy musicfolderpath\*.* backupdrivefolderpath\*.* /D /E /C /F /Y (add /H if you want to do hidden and system files aswell) and save it as a '.bat' file

Presuming your drive letter doesn't change just run it and it'll back up all new files each time (won't remove them though unless you clear the drive first each time)

Sync toy works well if you're editing files on both drives, and its supposed to check which file was edited last and keep the newest. If you just want a straight backup of the main drive, xcopy does the job fine.

Cupra
I use synchtoy for my photo backups. It only copies the new or changed files, rather than the whole folder which saves me loads of time.

Does the Xcopy cmd also do that?

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
i used syncback, works very well. can be a pain to setup if you're not too savy

Mk2 Golf GTI
Forget the other programs, this synctoy is awesome!

All you do is select the master folder (left) then the folder you want to backup to (right) chose the type of sync you want, (sync, echo or contribute) and click run and it does it all for you!

I've got mine set to echo. So whenever i add, delete or modify a folder on the left, the action is mimicked on the right.

Get it, it's sweet!