ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone used or know anything about jumbo frames?

Not a 320d
As title.

Got a 3760 stack with 9100 MTU configured across the switches. (Not me that did it)

Getting loads of drops. And I mean loads. That's not just a possible bug in the stack either - I read that there is a bug. If I am to transfer via ftp from one server to another on the same subnet then I lose a lot of packets, though it would appear the data arrives ok anyway - maybe it is resent and gets clogged up as I can see a 2GB file get half way through then slow down. Using wireshark I can see approx 11% is dropped. We have a 10G link across two sites (Dont ask) and I think the guys thought that it would perform better. We made the buffers bigger too. 40 to 4096.

Im wondering if anyone has come across problems before with jumbo frames.

Renault Clio 182
For jumbo frames to work don't you need all devices taking part to support jumbo frames and have it enabled, including the 2 servers or workstations. Are the servers or workstation and server both enabled for jumbo frames. To be honest I would steer clear of jumbo frames unless you are using them on a dedicated iSCSI network.

I saw stupidly low throughput once where traffic was going through a 10gig link but that was using HP kit, that was resolved by using flow control.

Renault Clio 182
Also is the problem with some specific servers or is it more widespread? Might be worth updating NIC drivers and NIC firmware.

BMW M135i
They're more hassle than they are worth and aren't worth a lot with modern equipment. As said unless everything that is connected is set to support jumbo frames the oversized (to other gear) ones will be getting dropped left/right/center/etc.