ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rusty's build (Hero thread related) VERY pic heavy

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Thats some project thread! Serious dedication. I started reading it on my phone earlier and had to re read it on the laptop when i got home.
Going to check his roadtrip thread now.

Guy has some serious skills!

Swift Sport
Have to agree with Danny on this one, I admire the skills involved but to me it was a total waste of talent. Maybe it's because I don't follow trends or because I hate 'rat' cars, but either way I don't like it. Fair play though, good write-up.

Iceberg 172
Fair play to the work but I can't stand it!

Firstly, a bimmer with a Jap Engine is wrong.

Rat look is the easy way of "making a crappy conditioned car look cool within the "scene" imo.

Just really not my cup of tea.

No denying the dedication involved but I think the end result looks s**t. LOL at the gangsta fabrication and welding. That thing will peel open like a tin of sardines in an impact. Not that it'll ever be going fast enough to crash, as it'll be using all the power cutting grooves in the road. Project = fair play. Car = HOS.

330i. E30 Touring.
I f**king love Rusty.

Some serious talent, that lad has.

I'd love to see it go through an English MOT, mind!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Missed this the first time - Loved it when it had the trailer!

Black Gold Trophy
These sort of projects remind me of the chap on here with the ph1 that works for fastcar magazine.

They are just constantly trying to keep up with the latest fashion in the rat/vw/euro scene, which in my opinion either glorifies absolute sheds or ruins cars that were previously in good condition.

I cant believe the owner has that much money to throw a new set of wheels on that car every couple of weeks, but yet he would choose to drive around in such a heap of sh*t.

I personally dont think it takes that much skill (atleast that's what most people are calling it) to make a car totally inpractical and in poor mechanical/structural condition. To do the exact opposite and transform a car in crap condition to an absolute minter is way more impressive in my eyes.

In regards to the wheels in years gone by plenty of companies who've heard about project cars that will attend lots of meets will either heavily discount or in some cases give people parts to fit to their cars as it's a very visible and effective way of getting their product seen by their target market. In the case of rusty it's a car which has been a blogged and posted across the globe on countless forums so it's a perfect platform for wheel companies to get a lot of exposure. I'd be fairly confident in saying Mike won't have paid retail for those sets of wheels and may have been given some of them.

I'd imagine so, it was on them at the last events it was photographed at and as the show season is over now I'd imagine it will appear next year with different wheels and a new "theme/look" to it. Where he'll go with it next I've no idea as I can't really see what else you could do with it in its current state.

Black Gold Trophy
In regards to the wheels in years gone by plenty of companies who've heard about project cars that will attend lots of meets will either heavily discount or in some cases give people parts to fit to their cars as it's a very visible and effective way of getting their product seen by their target market. In the case of rusty it's a car which has been a blogged and posted across the globe on countless forums so it's a perfect platform for wheel companies to get a lot of exposure. I'd be fairly confident in saying Mike won't have paid retail for those sets of wheels and may have been given some of them.

werent most of the wheels 'one offs' though?
I cant see most of those companies wanting to be associated with that sort of car tbh

The US is very different to the UK. The modding scene has a lot more money going in to it as their customer base is far larger and more affluent than the one here. You've got plenty of companies like CCW over there who have a huge warehouse and manufacturing all under one roof. They can spec multi piece rims to a customers requirements very easily because they have such a large range of rim's lips and wheel faces to make them up from.

The old adage "no publicity is bad publicity" applies here. Rusty gets a lot of exposure at shows and on the net. Regardless of whether people like the car it gets looks, people may hate the car but like the wheels. This is the kind of thing the companies are interested in. It's all about getting their potential customers to see their product.

I <3 Rusty, however i think the roof chop (amount it was chopped) was a mistake.

Awesome car for companys to sponsor, as love it or hate it, your talking about it. And thats what it's all about!!

Totally agree about the roof chop tbh. Really spoiled the car for me, I felt it looked best with the current patina/look with the diesel rubbed panels but with the roof still at it's standard height. I'd have sooner he fixed the kink in the A Pillar then maybe done some WWII fighter inspired interior to match the shark mouth on the side.

Disastra Coupe
I've seen photo's of this car before. Tbh, i preferred it before the roof chop. That sort of killed it for me. But after reading this project thread i'm absolutely astounded. What an epic build and story.
The guy has some serious dedication and a keen eye tbh.

It isn't strictly my taste, but i have maximum respect for it.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Interesting read, but i dont understand why you would want to drive around with the car scraping on the floor ??

+1 for going through with it all though. :)

Sam!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
These sort of projects remind me of the chap on here with the ph1 that works for fastcar magazine.
They are just constantly trying to keep up with the latest fashion in the rat/vw/euro scene, which in my opinion either glorifies absolute sheds or ruins cars that were previously in good condition.

not sure whether to take that as a compliment or an insult...lol
this car and my clio (and the thoughts / processes behind them) are very different. i was influenced a tad by the VW / stanced scene with my road wheels on the clio but thats all, i was hardly building a car to keep up with a trend, this is pretty much just a balls out show car build.

Motorbikes
Epic thread.... love the car and imagination that's gone into it. The road trip diary was awesome, also... would love to do something like that.

Just read through the road trip they went on tonight, absolutely brilliant. Awesome photography is an understatement!
The more and more I look at the chop top, the better it gets. The wheels and stance are spot on, too. Looks so aggressive!

Disastra Coupe
I think he's probably achieved what he was aiming for... With the amount of mixed views on this forum alone, that's probably exactly what he wanted.

Snow Plough?

166255_10150140006480809_125281815808_7819933_6510956_n.jpg

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Only thing thats ever disapointed me about this car was the roof chop.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
RIP.

Rusty is properly dead now. The guy had a garage fire and has lost pretty much everything according to reports, nothing official really.

216284_10150212741606499_576531498_8354442_8055458  _n.jpg

205199_10150212741921499_576531498_8354445_2619141  _n.jpg

206404_1986963316421_1313444289_2265122_5289144_n.  jpg

[video=vimeo;22223287]http://vimeo.com/22223287[/video]