ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AOL

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
We all hear about the nightmare stories of cancelling AOL or getting a mac code to migrate to another ISP. As you may know from the threads I've posted, I decided to cancel my 12 year stint with AOL and switch to Sky Broadband, as I have Sky packages throughout the house and they also have LLU equipment in my local exchange, enabling between 8 - 16Mbps speeds and bypassing the BT nonsense in there. Bonus.

Anyway, as I needed to find out when my current contract expired with AOL, I phoned them up to check. When I got through they told me it was up in February 2009. Result, so I wouldnt face any cancellation charges :cool:

I informed Sky, and completed the order for Sky Max, then was told I'd need the mac code from AOL. Hmm, read a few websites on how difficult it can be to obtain this code from them, so got my arguing head on ready for the phonecall. On Monday, I called them up and asked for it, and when I was finally put through from being in a queue, a polite Irish chap said the code would be sent via email within 5 working days. He asked why I was leaving so I made up some story about not needing it anymore as the missus was dealing with her own ISP at the moment. He said we could still keep our email addresses and return to AOL in the future, and wished me farewell.

1 day later, the mac code was waiting in an email for me, which I then gave to Sky who said it was valid and all I'm waiting on now is my router and line being set up.

Thought it was going to be a lengthy, painful process but for the first time in quite a while AOL seem to have done something decent. Paying for an 8Mbps line and getting 35KB/s download speeds of an evening FTL. Hopefully Sky LLU FTW. Heard good things, anyway.

:approve:

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
There are many reasons why I chose Sky, though. They were the only ISP in my area that supported LLU, I got Sky Max for just under £10 a month, too.

If it was down to personal choice, I'd have gone with BE. But they arent available in my area. Not only via LLU, but even ADSL.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Nice one Scutch. One less victim on Arseholes-On-line.

I'd rather suffer two plastic cups and a bit of string than put an AOL coaster anywhere near my PC.

Even robbers and pikeys have more morals that AOL in the old days. Hideous, evil, burn-worthy people.

D.

Titanium 182
There probably great tbh, only say BT ftw because I get free ultimate broadband free router and a BT vision box for £1 :approve:

besides living in cumbria your nearest exchange is probably in sheep field 29938373 and 50 miles away up a mountain so bypassing the BT equipment can't hurt your connection speeds. :rasp:

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Damn true.

I got connection for free, router for free, and under £10 a month on Sky Max with unlimited downloads and up to 16Mbps. Not too bad :cool:

Mk6 Fiesta Zs
heard good things about sky broadband. the missis has it n its no too bad! (dont waste your time askin for pics ;)) i've got aol the now. dont use the browser though, use firefox. only renewed for the free router etc. no issues so far. :approve:

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
^ My mate is on BT and had no problems, either. The router/phone isnt too bad either.

heard good things about sky broadband. the missis has it n its no too bad! (dont waste your time askin for pics ;)) i've got aol the now. dont use the browser though, use firefox. only renewed for the free router etc. no issues so far. :approve:

When AOL was on top, it was spot on. 600KB/s download speeds and no issues at all. It was just far too inconsistent, and they kept claiming I wasnt being capped or exceeded the Fair Useage Policy. So it could have been the Exchange equipment. If so, Sky will hopefully bypass either or both problems.

Tesla MP3 2021
Great news mate. See I told you it would be easy ;).

Just dont send my a message when you cant get Sky BB working lol, only joking you will be fine :)

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Great news mate. See I told you it would be easy ;).

Just dont send my a message when you cant get Sky BB working lol, only joking you will be fine :)

LOL. Indeed. It's ultimately your fault I opted for Sky ;)

Mk6 Fiesta Zs
When AOL was on top, it was spot on. 600KB/s download speeds and no issues at all. It was just far too inconsistent, and they kept claiming I wasnt being capped or exceeded the Fair Useage Policy. So it could have been the Exchange equipment. If so, Sky will hopefully bypass either or both problems.

when i used their browser on the p.c i fuckin hated aol with a passion! got the wireless up n goin and used firefox instead n i've never really had problems tbh

Tesla MP3 2021
LOL. Indeed. It's ultimately your fault I opted for Sky ;)

Haha, I was hinting more towards O2 to be honest lol.

Oh I was thinking about your speeds as I said I think you "could" see a nice sync speed. How will your modem be setup?? i.e directly into the BT master socket, do you have loads of other extensions.

One of these is a must...

http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php

You dont need to use any other filters around the house.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Haha, I was hinting more towards O2 to be honest lol.

Oh I was thinking about your speeds as I said I think you "could" see a nice sync speed. How will your modem be setup?? i.e directly into the BT master socket, do you have loads of other extensions.

One of these is a must...

http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php

You dont need to use any other filters around the house.

Yeah master socket with filter. Upstairs extension with filter, too. That's about it.

Tesla MP3 2021
Right ok well deffo get the ADSL filter plate and do away with your other filters.

Tesla MP3 2021
Yeah piece of piss. Details are in the link I posted if you want to check it out first.

Last edited:
  Full Fat 182
I've got Sky Mid and get 378kb/s constantly on usenet and I'm 2.3km from my nearest exchange (which also happens to be the main exchange for 80% of people in Derby), so i'm happy with it, and for a 5er a month I can't complain.

Only thing to watch is your pings for gaming. Mine gradually crept up over the 18months i've had it until It was so high I couldn't play properly. Called Sky Broadband customer services, asked for Tier 3 and then asked to have fastpath turned on. They said they couldn't do that but would decrease the max delay levels on my line to 8. Reduced my pings to less than 25m/s from abve 80m/s. Massive improvement and no degredation to connection speed or giving me drop-outs

Have a read of this

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Thankfully wont be using it for gaming, mate, but will have a read of that article nevertheless. Cheers :cool: