ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apex Springs on Track

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Right then, I currently have Apex springs & KYB shocks fitted to my 172. They were on it when I bought it, and I don’t particularly like them. They’re not very confidence inspiring; if you go over a bump/uneven ground mid corner once the suspension is loaded up then the car doesn’t behave very well.

The whole point of buying the Clio was to get as much track time for the least amount of spending. It’s getting a brake service and supergold fluid this week. Now my thoughts are, there aren’t many bumps/potholes on Oulton Park (at least from memory), will I get away with the Apex springs on track, bearing in mind they’ll be awful on the drive there and back, or am I best off upgrading before I go? Planning Cup shocks & Cooksport springs/Eibachs (lowest of the two) but would prefer to spend that money on track time rather than parts….

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Perfect, thanks. Just on the road they're shite? Makes sense I suppose.

clio trophy
Run them on my track cup with koni shocks and I really like them
Eibachs and cooksports are perfect for the road but too soft for the track imo

Renault Clio 172
i'd agree with the above, i had apex on mine and swapped for cooksports, the cooksports are a better "all rounder" and better in the wet but I would say apex were better for track use, just get some new cup dampers to go with them and with a decent geo setup there wont be much overtaking you

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Then overnight the prices of apex springs has gone up lol. At one point you couldn't give them away. And I'm pretty sure ecp have ' amax? Which are apex aparantly for like £50. Don't quote me but I'm sure someone linked a thread the other day

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Haha well I've already got mine so that's ok! Will get cup shocks when Ive been paid, cheers guys.

Rick86

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 1
+1 on the apex and cup dampers
I use mine mainly on the track now, It holds well hardly any body roll. I find it predictable and definitely not crashy..like most people say about this setup with no experience of it whatsoever.