ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apologies... Dephaser Opinions again

Clio 182
Finally saved up the £650 to get dephaser/cambelt/aux belts replaced on my 182 - total p.i.t.a as Ive only owned the car for around 2month and when I got it the timing belt was changed before I picked it up. After scouring the related threads regarding this fault, it appears that it was stated that the chances of this component failing were unlikely and unheard of (to date :p).

Although I now have the cash ready to repair it, with the notes in hand it seems a rather big out-going on the run up to christmas and things are tight as it is, so questioning if this would really be worth fixing or if I should just bear with the noise? The mechanic noted that the cambelt would be required to be replaced again and the aux belts too - but if i decided to leave it could there be any potential for aux belts failing? and what happens if they do (unfortunately my paperwork does not mention anything about these ever being replaced, so a bit unsure)

The car is sitting @ 74k miles, any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated, also are there any other 'common' parts which I could/should expect to require replacement in the near future?

(video of engine noise in previous thread... http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?600052-Does-engine-sound-ok-amp-Code-reader)

Cheers
Steve

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
like gregor said if anything were to wrong you have a bigger bill and headache once its done you can put your mind at rest and enjoy the car

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I would be getting the work done ASAP and not leaving it long atall, from what I have read and seen on the forum these are a common problem and if it goes it's mega cash to fix all the problems

Unfortunately I no longer have a car that is fun to drive, that is a pride & joy, and that loves to be rev'd...

...but even though I think "I don't care about this car compared my old 182, I never take it up 3k RPM and I only use it twice a week" at the end of the day the cost of the risk occuring is so overwhelmingly massive that I'm not comfortable without a cambelt change.

Clio 182
Thought this would have been the responses - and kinda knew myself that the right thing to do is get it fixed, ach well back to poverty-living time to get it booked in :p
Cheers

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
it can't "let go" FFS worst that you'll ever get is flat spots and a bit of rough running

Ph2 Flamer
not sure i'm reading the OP correctly but if the car is at 74k and you've no record of the belts ever being changed then get them done.
If the belts have a while left in them, then as you and 519 say, dephaser pulleys don't 'let go' so you could wait to get the dephaser changed without any real risk. It certainly won't explode and take out the aux belt