ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple Store/ iPhone Warrantee experiences

Cupra
I took my phone in to the apple store today as the camera has a yellow hue in the centre of all shots and the home button stops working periodically. I thought that I had picked it up at the end of June last year, but it turned out I was wrong and I actually had it since the 29th of April.
The guy told me that I would get a new phone, then saw the date and said that I would have to buy a new one (€150).

Is there any way to convince them that charging me €150 for being 3 weeks out of warrantee for a well known problem is a bit s**t? I asked him if there was anything he could do, but "buy yourself a new phone" option was apparently where it stopped.

What are the standard policies for Apple for stuff like this? Any experiences or tips on what to say would be appreciated, as I'll probably head back next week for round 2.

Cupra
Damn. Might try a written complaint. It's my own fault, I was waiting for the new Jailbreak before trading it in as I need the tethering! :(

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
The c!era has always had that fault on the iPhone 4. Usually a yellow or green blob in the middle of shots

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Mine has the same home button problem, and I'm just outside of warrenty too. It's a pisstake considering how much it costs. I mean, I wouldn't have any other phone I just wish it was built properly.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Speak to apple customer services and tell them how disappointed you are with the fact you've spent a lot of money buying what you thought was the best phone and the best customer support but now this has happened you are starting to have second thoughts and considering switching phones to another company with better customer support for a common fault. You might get a goodwill gesture towards a new phone if you don't get a free repair.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Mine has the same home button problem, and I'm just outside of warrenty too. It's a pisstake considering how much it costs. I mean, I wouldn't have any other phone I just wish it was built properly.

Have you tried hoovering the microphone / dock / speaker at the bottom of the phone?

This sometimes fixes home button issues, it's worth a try.

Mental 172 Cup
12 months is 12 months. Doesn't matter if your 1day out or 1 year out. They are spot on with the customer service and very fair IMO.

Whats wrong with paying €150 for a phone you can get your money back on when you upgrade? As you can easily get that for it on eBay.

Its not exactly like your being singled out, everyone is in the same boat so don't see the point in moaning.

12 months is 12 months. Doesn't matter if your 1day out or 1 year out. They are spot on with the customer service and very fair IMO.

Whats wrong with paying €150 for a phone you can get your money back on when you upgrade? As you can easily get that for it on eBay.

Its not exactly like your being singled out, everyone is in the same boat so don't see the point in moaning.

I agree. There customer service is very good.

Go back. Speak to someone else.

If they say no. Ask to speak to a manager.

"Disappointed with the brand" "This has ruined my faith with Apple" "I'll have to consider other phones if this is how you treat your existing customers"

Don't shout, get angry or be rude. Just firm and make your point.

= New iPhone.

Agree.

Mercedes
To be fair to them I've had fantastic experiences with them swapped my old 3G and 4s when,I effectively created both of the problems

Cupra

A lot of companies are happy to still offer a free repair or replacement outside of warrantee if it is a known issue. If a product has a design flaw, it is not unreasonable to expect some goodwill.

The point of this thread was to hear other people's experiences, to know i there was a way to get a goodwill gesture. I don't see the harm in that...

Cupra
Go back. Speak to someone else.

If they say no. Ask to speak to a manager.

"Disappointed with the brand" "This has ruined my faith with Apple" "I'll have to consider other phones if this is how you treat your existing customers"

Don't shout, get angry or be rude. Just firm and make your point.

= New iPhone.

Cheers Dan. Will try that next week. :)

I wouldn't mention 'known issue' as it just makes you sound like you're trying to do their job.

Is this the new Amsterdam store? I'd have thought they'd be bending over backwards to help out. The manager certainly will.

Cupra
I wouldn't mention 'known issue' as it just makes you sound like you're trying to do their job.

Is this the new Amsterdam store? I'd have thought they'd be bending over backwards to help out. The manager certainly will.

Noted. It is the Ams store. I got sent a mail to give feedback on my Genius visit, so left my thoughts and just missed their call to talk about it! I'm impressed!
Will see what they have to say at some point and will use your feedback. Cheers bud.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Apple refurbs are brand new phones too - No way theyre actually refurbished.

Cases are new, some internals might be from old phones but they are fully tested. So as good as new.

Regarding apples warranties, I've had bad and good experiences. My bad experiences have all been with the genius bar people, especially one little annoying dick at Manchester who really pissed me off. All the managers have been spot on though.

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
I bought my Mac as a refurb and after a week the disc drive broke, took it to apple they replaced the disc drive and then a week later a straight swap for a brand new MBP. So I got a brand new MBP for £850.

Audi S1
Lol at some of the comments in here.

Do what Dan said, if it doesn't work. Well, you're out of luck. Pay the £150 and get a refurb.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
tbh i was in apple just the other week sorting my now 2 year old iphone out, he said they have had to pull back on things like that as apple over spent by a huuuuge margin last year on warrenty and such goodwill gestures. I wasnt too fussed £119 for a new phone... that works as mine had well and truly died, ive never had a bad experiance with apple!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
How did you kill it Laura ?

over use id imagine, all the buttons had stopped working, was soooo slow, app store had gone. in the end it was easier to wipe it and start again with a new phone, just means ive lost half my numbers :(

CBR1000RR Fireblade
over use id imagine, all the buttons had stopped working, was soooo slow, app store had gone. in the end it was easier to wipe it and start again with a new phone, just means ive lost half my numbers :(

Could you not back it up before you took it in for a swap so you could keep your numbers?

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
yes she did but the phone was fried, just wouldnt sync and it was the 1st time id done it on my mac so no previous, not too bothered, i dont have 1000s of contacts

Clio 172
Why? Why would I pay £150+ to get my phone repaired when I am still in a £50 a month contract with my provider. They should provide me with a phone that works and if it doesn't fix it for me. At least until my contract is up in my opinion.

Because your paying them for the contract, well the service of making calls, texts etc, not the phone. The sim card works in any other phone, so it's not their problem. If the simcard broke they would replace it. The problem is with the manufacturer, not the service provider

Why? Why would I pay £150+ to get my phone repaired when I am still in a £50 a month contract with my provider. They should provide me with a phone that works and if it doesn't fix it for me. At least until my contract is up in my opinion.

You really aren't very smart are you?