ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple TV 3

Just cancelled it, and my mate picked one up at Apple in Sheffield.

Apparently they have loads in stock (iPads too) and there was NO queue!

the ATV3 is making things hard if your wanting to jailbreak.

Nowhere seems to have new stock of ATV2's which are jailbreakable.
ATV3's aren't out yet, and I don't know how long its going to be before they/IOS 5 is jailbroken..

In Limbo a bit at the moment, as a family member wants one and for me to put XBMC on it..

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Sorry for what could be a thick question, but what does a jail broken apple tv allow you to do? I know nothing about ATV, but I'm interested in getting one

I've had my ATV3 for the last day now, and I must admit, the quality difference is clear over the ATV2.

1080p looks awesome on my set.

I did a couple of re-encodes today, and they look good.

My ATV2 has now been moved to the bedroom, as it's JB'd I'll keep it in 5.0.

Rav4
I've had my ATV3 for the last day now, and I must admit, the quality difference is clear over the ATV2.

1080p looks awesome on my set.

I did a couple of re-encodes today, and they look good.

My ATV2 has now been moved to the bedroom, as it's JB'd I'll keep it in 5.0.

Re-encode? Are you watching it through iTunes?

Sorry.

Glad you like it.

The interface is horrible, sure that will upgrade over time.

:)

Re-encode? Are you watching it through iTunes?

Sorry.

What?

My collection of mp4/m4v are all 720p, so I've gone back to the mkv files (1080p), and I'm re doing to 1080p instead.

I won't do them all (450+), just the best few. I prefer iTunes, it's easier for putting on the iDevices.

Shame. Guessing we'll get a JB for IOS 5.1 on the ATV2 quicker.
Shame really, the extra RAM on the ATV3 would be great for running XBMC.

And the ATV2's are becoming hard to come by. One of my family members wants one jailbroken.

Check out Avforum's classified section for atv2's, just had a look there myself and they're selling for round the £70 mark.

Or you can buy them already jailbroke on ebay for £130ish, but i've noticed the price's creeping up slightly since the new model isn't moddable (yet). I might pick myself up a box from Avforum's and jailbreak that for now. Then down the line once the atv3 is done, i'll put the older one in the bedroom.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
What?

My collection of mp4/m4v are all 720p, so I've gone back to the mkv files (1080p), and I'm re doing to 1080p instead.

I won't do them all (450+), just the best few. I prefer iTunes, it's easier for putting on the iDevices.

What do you use for re-encoding? Handbrake?

I've just skimmed through this as I'm possibly looking at getting one. My main reason for getting one is to use it to stream content to another display from my MBA. I will also be using the other monitor as an extension to the MBA screen. I've seen this is possible with AirParrot. However I wanted to know if what the biggest screen resolution I will be able to output on both ATV2 and ATV3?

The Air has a native resolution of 1440x900 however I'm sure it can output more than that. The monitor that I want to use as an extension is 1920x1200.

Are they worth getting, or is there something better that would suit my needs? I know I could just get a cable, but I'd much rather have it wireless, as the functionality is there.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I've un JB'd my atv2. Never used the JB. Plex now and then, but not often enough.

Clio 172
I would mainly use it for plex, as all my media is stored on my server, with PMS hosting it, all in various formats.

Is there any way I could watch them then, without a JB?

I suppose I could screen mirror my iPad 2, would that sacrifice quality though? Or maybe AirPlay from the plex app?

I've just seen I wont need AirParrot as Airplay works with my MBA, Only downside is I can only mirror, not extend.

Really not sure its worth it if I can only mirror the screen and play sound via it. 1080p is a must.

Revels Mum & Sister
Tom I would sell yours then and pocket £40-50 and get a ATV3 if you dont use the JB.

For me the AppleTV doesnt do a lot unless under a JB!

I still haven't bothered jail breaking my atv2 that I use everyday. Is there a way to do it so that I ideally don't have to connect it to a computer and don't need the additional content already stored so I can just stream away like I do now with Netflix etc?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Mine came installed with XBMC and Navi x. Anything you get on Netflix i can get free with a few xtra clicks. And more.

133/225/CLS AMG
Out of interest, what spec routers are you lot using with your Apple TVs?

I'm finding I can stream video/music directly to my ATV from my iMac which is connected to my router by cable. But I find that streaming anything from my iPad or iPhone via the wi-fi has a habit of stuttering. Ok-ish on music but not great on videos.

Guessing I need to get a better router but no clue what I need.

133/225/CLS AMG
Do you find any issues streaming off wireless devices?

Music starts ok but if I skip tracks it stutters as the next track starts. I'm using a Netgear Rangemax and not especially old.