ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apples and Leopards and Lions, Oh My!

Hai!

My air is ballsed, so I'm in the process of getting a new hd and some form of OSX to install on it.

Question is, what version shall I get?
I was about to just get the standard box of Leopard (10.5.1), yet in the small print it states that if the machine originally shipped with an OS later than this, 10.5.1 won't work from startup; which is what I'm going to need. It had Snow Leopard on it when I bought it.
I suppose I could theoretically wait till Lion comes out (whenever that is), but its already been unusable for the past few weeks, and I'm going to need it soon when I get my iPhone 4. Which, ironically is the reason I bought it in the first place.

hmm.

Also, if anyone feels generous enough to lend me their standard, non-machine specific install disc/s, I'd be very appreciative.

Yes, but I need Leopard installed first for Snow Leopard to run, don't I?

I can't just do a clean install of that.

Or can I?

Fantastic, I'll just do that then.

Doesn't seem right though! You can get the leopard install discs for £50+ still. Odd. But if you say so..

Rav4
It's all based on the assumption that you are being legit.

The reason why it's £29 is simply due to the fact that it's an 'upgrade disc' hoping, that you are going to upgrade from the previous version, however, as stated above, it can do a full install.

So, it's entirely up to you.

I normally go for the cheapest route ;)

All sorted now. Cheers for that, the Snow Leopard disk worked a treat. Was surprised how amazingly easy swapping over the hard-drives was. I'll say that was legit as it already had Snow Leopard on it. Yeah, that's it.

One (minor) thing now; I'm now left with a presumably borked hd. Now although it's not essential - it'd be nice to get some of the stuff back, if possible. Having said that I'm not really sure whats on it..

Ideally something like this would do the trick. Any ideas?