ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are Clios the best cars?

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Everyone goes on about how great the 1*2s and I imagine they're damn right - not driven one yet. But not many go on about how good the lesser models are (not in comparison). Are all the clios across the range better than all the rivals??

Jus saying this cos got a few clear miles of road today and my lil 1.4 RT coped really well around the corners and with acceptable acceleration, even with cheap goodyears and standard suspension. Without a doubt a 1*2 would murder it on the same stretch of tarmac but those who can't afford to buy or insure a 1*2 yet, have we got the best car out there?

Was in a great mood after my drive today! Can't wait to have some more fun on way to London later!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Prev gen Fiesta's are cracking cars to drive, had a 1.25 zetec for a while, same chassis as the puma. All about conserving momentum.

great val for money, only cz they depreciate quick can get a 172 for under 4k, dont know how faster u can got for cheaper?with referal to rivals

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
The Mk2 Clio's chassis is a very good one so even the lesser models are fun to drive.
I owned a 1.2 RN before i got the Cup and it was pretty much spot on other than a lack of power but then its horses for courses.
At 20 it was the best car i could have owned without paying out a couple of grand for insurance.

cock mobile.
Good little cars for the money in whatever guise.

Not a great car, but I'm sure it was May that said something like "it's easy to make a great car, you just chuck a load of money at it and charge a ridiculous amount".

172cup
i had a MK2 1.2 RT for ages before i got my cup
I think it was great and insurance was cheap. Obviously u can't really compare the 1*2 against the lower models but the lower models are good against the rivals :)

Iceberg 172
It must be up there with the best in class for driving enjoyment: the Fiesta, & maybe prev. model Punto. The Yaris and Polo are very good small cars, but they are better in other aspects of ownership, such as depreciation and reliability, rather than performance and handling.

Clio was defo better than the C3, Jazz, Micra, 206, Ibiza, and prev model Corsa.........

As always, "best" depends on what qualities you value most in a car.

Mine were performance, handling, value for money and looks, and b****cks to the quality of the interior trim..... = Renaultsport 172 :D

Less
they arent the best cars, but for the money they are good fun! and look really tops and a fairly fast.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
can't beat them for the money

pretty quick, light and agile! ...that's the Mk1 and Mk2

the Ph-Porky 197 is another story ;)

RS-1, Bebop, CTR
I had 3 clios so far, besides my mk1 172...1.2 mk1 (ph2), 1.6 16V dynamique mk2 and another 1.2 mk1 ph3 (i think)

I loved them all...to be honest, I think the clio is (or at least was) best in the class. Good comfort, excellent economy, cheap to maintain, solid handling, early model were quite reliable too...

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Personally i'd never have a clio unless it was an RS model, build quality is to poor IMO and they all look like 4x4's, but i did have some good fun in a 1.2 8v rent car in the lakes.

172 ff silver
one of the safest hanelling fwd hatches ive ever driven, possibly not as fun as a pug 106

but far from the best car TBH

MK5 R32
It depends what you mean by the best cars? dont get me wrong i luv my 182, great car to drive and suits my needs. there are better cars out there though depends what you want in a car.

Goliath I
when had my first clio 1.2 extreme (also my first car, new 52 reg) I absolutely loved it, I was suprised at the acceleration it gave for being such a small car and found it was the most comfortable car Id been in :)

To consider the clio as the best car beggars belief.

Poorly built, terrible ergonomics, terrible driving position, dreadful weighting of control.

Only the steering and handling on the 2.0 varietys remotely save the car. You certainly couldn't release a car as poky as mk2 clio nowadays.

Renaultsports are fun but as the be all and end of everything, lmao just lmao lol.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5

Poorly built, terrible ergonomics, terrible driving position, dreadful weighting of control.

Only the steering and handling on the 2.0 varietys remotely save the car. You certainly couldn't release a car as poky as mk2 clio nowadays.

Renaultsports are fun but as the be all and end of everything, lmao just lmao lol.
plenty of laughing then lol:D

Just the notion of the clio being the best car, and said as a serious proposal.

People need to get out there and drive some other cars lol.

172 semi skimed cup
what do you mean?
ther so expencive, i.e. you can get budget coilovers for say a mk1/2/3 golf for 200 but for a clio its 400 due to ther stupid hub design, the centrebore is huge so no wheels fit them unless customised the list goes on!
good i thought you was going to say you cant get delta bumpers or somthing?

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
I love Renaults, always have done, right back from when I owned my first one which was a 1.4 Renault 9. Yes, the build quality could be alot better, but they are cheap for a reason. Some of the parts Renault use, coils, wheel bearings, engine mounts etc leave alot to be desired, but they are pretty cheap to replace, just as well too as these bits quite often need replacng. If these parts were more reliable Renaults, and in particular Clios, would be alot more expensive to buy.

I am only little, a mere 5'1", so the driving position is perfect for me and all the gadgets are within easy reach. The smooth cluth and gearbox on my 1.6 make her a pleasure to drive and the response on the throttle always makes me smile. I think the best bit (apart from handling), is the way Renault engines just love to be played with. The more you boot them, the happier they are, as long as you don't thrash them within an inch of their lives, but even then they are quite forgiving.

The thing with Renaults is, they need regular maintenance (servicing), and sometimes regular parts change. If you can't cope with that, then don't buy a Renault. Simple really. ;) :D

330Ci (Fail)Sport

Just the notion of the clio being the best car, and said as a serious proposal.

People need to get out there and drive some other cars lol.

I ment best car against its rivals, not best of all cars. I know the build is not great and reliability is a bit of an issue sometimes but other than that I don't have any issues with it. Granted I would like a car with more power and luxuries but I'm in position to fulfil those wishes just yet.

visualize whirled pe
PH-PISCH IMO

haha they should be known as the PH-AIL

They are, in all honesty, reasonably good cars, they are certainly the best looking hatch around imo.

The french have european small car styling down to a fine art, where as Ford manufacture (perhaps) the most rounded small cars.

....as for sports versions, I've never had a 1*2 but it would appear that for the money they deliver the goods.

cup 182 mit stripes
If you look at ALL the car mag group hot hatch shoot outs from three years ago , the 182 was streets ahead of the opposition, so I suppose there is a case for saying the Clio is best. lol

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
If you look at ALL the car mag group hot hatch shoot outs from three years ago , the 182 was streets ahead of the opposition, so I suppose there is a case for saying the Clio is best. lol

Who let you bak on!!!

With a clio you know what your getting...Fun and cheap thrills...

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5

Who let you bak on!!!

With a typical helensburgh hussie you know what your getting...Fun and cheap thrills...
soooo true mr robertson:rasp: